Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do buyers expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
tooly22 said:
Its honestly unbelievable that eBay cannot step in and do something in situations like this when all of the delivery and tracking information is uploaded to eBay when you print a mailing label. They choose to bury their heads in the sand and use the company line, "feedback and DSRs are the opinion of the buyer". I had a similar situation happen two weeks ago where in back to back days I was left low DSR on shipping time and shipping price. In both situations I had received payment on a Thursday, printed up the labels that night and mailed them the following morning. Both parties received their packages on the Monday which was effectively two USPS business days from the time they paid yet were still able to leave low DSRs. They also dinged me on shipping of $2.50 despite the fact that both packages were shipped insured at a cost of $2.98 each.

I dont mind getting dinged if I deserve it, but when eBay has quantifiable evidence that I fulfilled my obligations as a seller and a buyer is strictly being vindictive then its wrong. It's even more wrong when you consider that a vindictive buyer can be enough to have you kicked off ebay, restricted on ebay or losing your 20% Top Rated Seller distinction just because he is having a bad day and wants to be a jerk.

This story has to be false. If you print the label out within 24 hours you automatically get 5 stars. Same with free shipping, 5 stars is automatically given with free shipping.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
hoopster3977 said:
Too many teenagers using their parents ebay and paypal accounts to buy items. They expect instant gratification. They use the feedback system to hold sellers hostage. Or, if they feel mischievous, they will ding you just because they feel they have the power to be vindictive.

I would like to disagree with you here. Besides Pujols and Dice-K, I don't know any other teenagers that use eBay. I do have a friend who uses eBay to help find the value of his WWII finds, but he does not sell or buy.

I do not use my parents money on eBay. Sometimes, yes, I get a gift. This is maybe 2 times a month and it's usually for doing some sort of work. I do not ask for any.

I have never left a negative feedback, or any dinged DSRs on eBay on probably almost 100 transactions. I always check where the item is coming from before I buy it, and I allow 2 weeks before I contact the seller, even more time if the item is coming from Canada.

I don't understand your grounds for this comment honestly. I guess it's just easiest to blame the younger generation. I will probably do it in my 30s too.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
DSRs are automated for shipping fees if you use free shipping. Can't we do something like this with shipping time? If you use paypal through eBay to ship, they have all the information. If an item is shipped out within 2-3 business days of receiving payment, an automatic perfect shipping time should be given. Sellers can't help holidays or slow delivery times if they drop the package off quickly and they shouldn't be held responsible. Options to give less than perfect shipping time should only be given if the item (verified by paypal,eBay, and USPSs tracking systems) does not show a shipping time or later than the X business days.

tooly22

Feb 14, 2009
New Hampshire
This story is 100% correct. I have been selling for 13 years on eBay, am a Powerseller and well aware of the rules. You are correct if you offer free shipping they can only leave a 5, and in my case I did not offer free shipping on the two scenarios that I mentioned. Nowhere did I mention that I offered free shipping.

You are incorrect about the printing of labels within 24 hours automatically giving you 5 stars as in this case the item was paid for on the 28th of August at night and the label was printed the morning of the 29th where it was subsequently dropped into the mailbox. In looking at the tracking history it was not scanned locally and did not show up with a scan until it hit the Buyer's local sorting station in Houston, TX on August 31st a whole 2 days after it was mailed(I am in NH). In the second case the item was paid for and shipped on the same day.

markakis8 said:
tooly22 said:
Its honestly unbelievable that eBay cannot step in and do something in situations like this when all of the delivery and tracking information is uploaded to eBay when you print a mailing label. They choose to bury their heads in the sand and use the company line, "feedback and DSRs are the opinion of the buyer". I had a similar situation happen two weeks ago where in back to back days I was left low DSR on shipping time and shipping price. In both situations I had received payment on a Thursday, printed up the labels that night and mailed them the following morning. Both parties received their packages on the Monday which was effectively two USPS business days from the time they paid yet were still able to leave low DSRs. They also dinged me on shipping of $2.50 despite the fact that both packages were shipped insured at a cost of $2.98 each.

I dont mind getting dinged if I deserve it, but when eBay has quantifiable evidence that I fulfilled my obligations as a seller and a buyer is strictly being vindictive then its wrong. It's even more wrong when you consider that a vindictive buyer can be enough to have you kicked off ebay, restricted on ebay or losing your 20% Top Rated Seller distinction just because he is having a bad day and wants to be a jerk.

This story has to be false. If you print the label out within 24 hours you automatically get 5 stars. Same with free shipping, 5 stars is automatically given with free shipping.

tooly22

Feb 14, 2009
New Hampshire
This was my exact argument to the rep I had on the phone after my situation I mentioned above. Its not like they do not have the data staring them in the face to make that call. There should also be some semblance of sanity regarding shipping charges as well. Ebay can see exact postage paid, factor in some fluff for handling charges/supplies, etc and you can pretty well regulate what is reasonable.

WoundedDuck said:
DSRs are automated for shipping fees if you use free shipping. Can't we do something like this with shipping time? If you use paypal through eBay to ship, they have all the information. If an item is shipped out within 2-3 business days of receiving payment, an automatic perfect shipping time should be given. Sellers can't help holidays or slow delivery times if they drop the package off quickly and they shouldn't be held responsible. Options to give less than perfect shipping time should only be given if the item (verified by paypal,eBay, and USPSs tracking systems) does not show a shipping time or later than the X business days.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
TBTwinsFan said:
hoopster3977 said:
Too many teenagers using their parents ebay and paypal accounts to buy items. They expect instant gratification. They use the feedback system to hold sellers hostage. Or, if they feel mischievous, they will ding you just because they feel they have the power to be vindictive.

I would like to disagree with you here. Besides Pujols and Dice-K, I don't know any other teenagers that use eBay. I do have a friend who uses eBay to help find the value of his WWII finds, but he does not sell or buy.

I don't understand your grounds for this comment honestly. I guess it's just easiest to blame the younger generation. I will probably do it in my 30s too.
how many teenagers do you actually know that buy cards? i'd venture to guess not many (5 doesn't count as many). it absolutely happens because they either have lofty expectations of shipping times or get upset of the littlest of corner dings. you don't use ebay much, nor do you sell on ebay much, so you really don't have any idea of what goes on outside of what gets posted on this site about it. and using two other teenagers on this site isn't good evidence for an argument.

cubsfan_2007

Sep 22, 2010
I dislike the way eBay has changed the feedback system. OK I understand it eliminates retalitory feedback that is a plus, but I hate how as a seller I may get a buyer who is so anal about everything and receive a negative from them. Thus I may have 2000 Pos and 1 neg feedback but my seller rating says I have 95.5% feedback percentage. Does that make any sense, so all the hardwork would. shattered for one year because a buyer is a nimrod. Im a seller who doesnt do too much selling, maybe ill average 200 transactions a year. Well one neg out of say 150 pos feedback makes your rating look bad even if youve had nothing but perfect transactions throughout you reign on eBay.

This is just an example I havent been effected by this but I have noticed sellers with say a 97.5% rating, and I click on their name and they only have 1 neg feedback out of their 2000+ pos. It just so happens they didnt have as much sales in the past year

Members online

Latest posts