Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do buyers expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Just noticed a big hit on my DSR's for shipping time so I checked the information on the latest feedback I received (got my first "low" rating ever.) Turns on the item was paid for on Friday the 2nd. I could not ship Saturday and Monday was a labor day so no mail but the card was out on Tuesday the 6th. Not exactly earth shattering news, but buyers can be ridiculous (especially considering they waited a couple of days to send payment.) Just wanted to vent...

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
They want you to invent a transporter system like Star Trek and beam the item to their fat hands while sitting on their couch.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
Whatever you do don't start selling die-cast cars then. I sold cards on eBay for over 10 years (over 2k transactions) without a single negative and all 5 stars when that started. Just this past year I got an opportunity to help a friend sell Franklin Mint and other die-cast cars and split the profits with them. Well since April I have 3 negatives and 1 neutral and my star rating is crap now. And it's not like I am making anything on shipping charges, but most of the buyers are from overseas and it's not cheap to send 5-10 lbs to them.

Shep

tooly22

Feb 14, 2009
New Hampshire
Its honestly unbelievable that eBay cannot step in and do something in situations like this when all of the delivery and tracking information is uploaded to eBay when you print a mailing label. They choose to bury their heads in the sand and use the company line, "feedback and DSRs are the opinion of the buyer". I had a similar situation happen two weeks ago where in back to back days I was left low DSR on shipping time and shipping price. In both situations I had received payment on a Thursday, printed up the labels that night and mailed them the following morning. Both parties received their packages on the Monday which was effectively two USPS business days from the time they paid yet were still able to leave low DSRs. They also dinged me on shipping of $2.50 despite the fact that both packages were shipped insured at a cost of $2.98 each.

I dont mind getting dinged if I deserve it, but when eBay has quantifiable evidence that I fulfilled my obligations as a seller and a buyer is strictly being vindictive then its wrong. It's even more wrong when you consider that a vindictive buyer can be enough to have you kicked off ebay, restricted on ebay or losing your 20% Top Rated Seller distinction just because he is having a bad day and wants to be a jerk.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
With shipping time - I almost wish they went to that less subjective feedback they were testing.
i.e. - Did you get the package by (reasonable date)? Yes or No.

As a buyer - I expect it in about a week. If I don't have it after two weeks that's when I'll usually contact the buyer. As long as it's within a couple weeks I wouldn't usually deduct anything, and actually it usually takes other things to piss me off even then.
The last time I took stars away - the item took nearly 3 weeks to get to me (inside the U.S), it was $4.50 shipping, never got info of a DC number and then to top it off a $20 card was sent in a teambag with no toploader......so yeah, when it's stuff like that it's hard to look the other way on shipping time.

Then again the whole DSR system is stupid as hell.....so not sure there's anything you can do as a buyer.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Too many teenagers using their parents ebay and paypal accounts to buy items. They expect instant gratification. They use the feedback system to hold sellers hostage. Or, if they feel mischievous, they will ding you just because they feel they have the power to be vindictive.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I just received an automated email stating that the item I purchased is being shipped. I checked the tracking, and it appear that the shipping label was purchased, and has not been scan yet. I paid for the item last week. Now it appears that I will not receive the item within a week. Seller has 6000+ feedback.

Why did the seller wait so long to get the item in the mail? I thought about what I should do in leaving feedback when I receive the purchased item before I read this thread. I am leaning on dinging him on the shipping right now. There is no excuse in shipping an item after 5 days after receiving payment. I did a best offer for the item, seller counteroffered, and I accepted and immediately paid.

I know that I ship either the same day or if I receive payment after the post office closes for business, I ship the next day. How hard is this to do? Print a label and stick it in the mailbox. Simple.

ryanscardz

Jan 7, 2011
Waukee, Iowa
I just received an automated email stating that the item I purchased is being shipped. I checked the tracking, and it appear that the shipping label was purchased, and has not been scan yet. I paid for the item last week. Now it appears that I will not receive the item within a week. Seller has 6000+ feedback.

Why did the seller wait so long to get the item in the mail? I thought about what I should do in leaving feedback when I receive the purchased item before I read this thread. I am leaning on dinging him on the shipping right now. There is no excuse in shipping an item after 5 days after receiving payment. I did a best offer for the item, seller counteroffered, and I accepted and immediately paid.

I know that I ship either the same day or if I receive payment after the post office closes for business, I ship the next day. How hard is this to do? Print a label and stick it in the mailbox. Simple.

- - - - you don't know that there is "no excuse". My grandfather was put in hospice Friday night very unexpectedly and I have yet to ship out items that I would normally ship the next day. Sometimes there is an excuse, is all I'm saying.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
hoopster3977 said:

Why did the seller wait so long to get the item in the mail? I thought about what I should do in leaving feedback when I receive the purchased item before I read this thread. I am leaning on dinging him on the shipping right now. There is no excuse in shipping an item after 5 days after receiving payment. I did a best offer for the item, seller counter offered, and I accepted and immediately paid.

Ralph not to side with the seller, but how many auctions have ended since you bought from them. They may only ship once a week since there is a lot of auctions to package up. I have a friend that sells about 25-30 items a week and there are all different kinds of stuff. He is off work on Friday and ships everything then if it is paid. Most of his auctions end on Sunday too. He has not had problem with this at all. But he does say in his auctions this is what he will be doing if you win anything from him.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Somebody was talking about teens using eBay accounts. I would like to say that I use my fathers account about 1 time a week. As long as I get the item in good shape and obviously they took the effort to safely ship I will leave a positive as long as its to me before a month. I hate leaving negs.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I know that sudden circumstances occur. I'm not one to give low dsr's. But it does amaze me sellers don't send a simple email to buyers to let them know when the item will ship. It's called courtesy.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
They can be ridiculous. I've always had great dsrs until recently. I ship within 2 business days, yet have gotten horribly dinged on shipping time…to the point where ebay may restrict the amount I can list. I think part of the problem is ebay's showing "expected delivery times" like amazon does…which often are inaccurate. Crazy + I see it happening to more great sellers.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
JackLondon said:
morgoth said:
They want you to invent a transporter system like Star Trek and beam the item to their fat hands while sitting on their couch.

THAT would be the greatest real-life invention ever.

True, but as ST geeks would tell you the downside for our hobby is that you'd be able to effectively replicate anything including cards.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
rain, change your handling time to like 3-4 days so that it reflects the estimated received time

I agree too. I was up to 4.99 but the last few I've noticed dinged me bc im down to 4.97...and I ship within 24-48 hrs

people are very trigger happy with shipping time. lol.

dave

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
hoopster3977 said:
Too many teenagers using their parents ebay and paypal accounts to buy items. They expect instant gratification. They use the feedback system to hold sellers hostage. Or, if they feel mischievous, they will ding you just because they feel they have the power to be vindictive.
" They use the feedback system to hold sellers hostage. "
You people have short memories, Was a time this was what SELLERS used,big time. I would get a very bad creased card that would never have showed up in a scan. I would contact the seller stating about the condition of the card. 100% of the time they would blame it on the USPS and you did not insure it. then they would give me a NEG Before i could do anything. I called this the sellers preemptive strike. I just got one of these in yesterday. Paid the same day i won it 3 weeks ago. I still gave the seller a posi. but a ONE on shipping time. The seller has to be a real dick b-4 i give a NEG. I did get the card.
juan_picture.php

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
As for OP a 1 or 2 is definately waranted for the wait in between printing of label and actually sending it out.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
nosterbor said:
hoopster3977 said:
" They use the feedback system to hold sellers hostage. "
You people have short memories, Was a time this was what SELLERS used,big time. I would get a very bad creased card that would never have showed up in a scan. I would contact the seller stating about the condition of the card. 100% of the time they would blame it on the USPS and you did not insure it. then they would give me a NEG Before i could do anything. I called this the sellers preemptive strike. I just got one of these in yesterday. Paid the same day i won it 3 weeks ago. I still gave the seller a posi. but a ONE on shipping time. The seller has to be a real dick b-4 i give a NEG. I did get the card.
juan_picture.php

I assume you did this, but I just wanted to point out that buyers should look at when it was mailed. Buyers should judge sellers based on when it was mailed, not when it was received. Sellers have no influence on whether the post office decides to take an extra couple of weeks to mail a first class item.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
Yup. 100% agree with mrwhitesox.

Here's an example I was experiencing recently

Delivered, Sep-20-11, 16:49 PM, FLUSHING, NY, 11358
Out for Delivery, Sep-20-11, 09:13 AM, FLUSHING, NY, 11358
Sorting Complete, Sep-20-11, 09:03 AM, FLUSHING, NY, 11358
Arrival at Unit, Sep-20-11, 08:30 AM, FLUSHING, NY, 11358
Processed through Sort Facility, Sep-20-11, 02:24 AM, BETHPAGE, NY, 11714
Processed through Sort Facility, Sep-08-11, 14:45 PM, BETHPAGE, NY, 11714
Accepted at origin sort facility, Sep-06-11, 22:19 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL, 61821
Processed through Sort Facility, Sep-06-11, 22:19 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL, 61821

Paid for this on 8/29

It was being processed at Bethpage for like 12 days. Lol. Only fault I give is the fact that the seller shipped 7 days after payment was made. However, still giving it a 4...I mean, unless it was REALLY warranted, I refuse to ding people on lateness. Im more worried about 1) arriving safely 2) no damage 3) ACTUALLY being delivered. Lol

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts