Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Out with the old, in with the new!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Here is a topic that was brought up at work this morning and gave me the idea to use for our next discussion:

Why do players who are WAY past their prime continue to play baseball, knowing their decreasing performance will standout? When I think about it, a specific name that comes to mind is Roger Clemens. IMO, the rocket then is more of a Rowboat now, he tried to make a comeback yet again a while back,I just don't get it! There is nothing left in the tank, let the younger guys get a crack at it. Standing by for your thoughts, Ready???Go!!!

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, let me know!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It happens in every sport.

A combination of competitive nature, denial and not having anything else they've done in their entire Adult life...

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL

A combination of competitive nature, denial and not having anything else they've done in their entire Adult life...

Makes sense, but now would you put yourself in that situation or would you have the intestinal fortitude and admit its time to hang it up? Obviously vets like Clemens in Baseball and Favre are key examples.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
An old superstar's 60 percent is better than most guys' 100 percent in their prime - PED's or not.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why do players who are WAY past their prime continue to play baseball, knowing their decreasing performance will standout? When I think about it, a specific name that comes to mind is Roger Clemens. IMO, the rocket then is more of a Rowboat now, he tried to make a comeback yet again a while back,I just don't get it! There is nothing left in the tank, let the younger guys get a crack at it.
So since you're an Alex Rodriguez fan, do you agree that he should retire as well? He's chronically injured and he hasn't hit well in years.
By your reasoning, Arod should hang it up and let the younger guys play.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
So since you're an Alex Rodriguez fan, do you agree that he should retire as well? He's chronically injured and he hasn't hit well in years.
By your reasoning, Arod should hang it up and let the younger guys play.

As much as I hate to admit it, I can accept he is past his prime, and I think he should retire while he is still known for his achievements and not as much for his bad decisions.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
As much as I hate to admit it, I can accept he is past his prime, and I think he should retire while he is still known for his achievements and not as much for his bad decisions.

No. I think he is now known for the bad decisions. That is why Arod keeps trying to come back. To erase all of the bad and leave on a good note. Also, 100 plus million reasons to keep playing.

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
This kinda ties in with the overrated players thread, why pay a player millions for a performance worth a weekly allowance?

Because a team is willing to pay them that. If the Astros signed Clemens they would fill significantly more seats than they do right now. So, why not sign a former star and profit off it?

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio

This just isn't in sports, also many factories (ones that are left). We have guys at work that have 40 & 50 plus years in and they will tell you that work is all they know. They are divorced (some 2 and 3 times), have kids but either haven't seen them in years or wont talk to them with grandkids and not sure how many.

With Sports, if a player decides to hang it up, its a personal admission of getting old (late 30's into 40 isnt old) or to old for the sport.

Fordman

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I see you guys are content with the whole A ROD situation, fair enough.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Wait, so older players have a duty to stop playing (despite having market opportunities to do so) so that younger players can play? Derek Jeter should hold a press conference and say "I really want to play, but I need to be fair to Eduardo Nunez"?

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Do you really think Nike for example will continue to pour money into a "potential" has been? I think not, I wouldn't.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I know what you mean, having lived thru the whole Favre saga and more recently with Milwaukee signing Aramis Ramirez. On the other hand, Favre proved all the naysayers wrong when he was a Viking, and Aramis Ramirez had one of his best seasons last year.

So while I agree, most of my most familiar examples have proven the opposite :)

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
On the flip side, why is it that many older players that still have ability above and beyond hundreds of players still playing, barely get a sniff. Players like Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero, Carlos Lee, Bobby Abreu and a handful of others are better than MANY players playing right now, yet can't or couldn't get a roster spot.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
On the flip side, why is it that many older players that still have ability above and beyond hundreds of players still playing, barely get a sniff. Players like Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero, Carlos Lee, Bobby Abreu and a handful of others are better than MANY players playing right now, yet can't or couldn't get a roster spot.
Because most of those guys still demand $15 million a year to play, whereas a team can sign a player ten years younger for a couple of million bucks.
Carlos Lee made $18.5 million last year. It's no wonder no team wanted him this season and he was forced to retire.

Members online

Latest posts