Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Done Deal: Samardzija/Hammel to the A's for Addison Russell/Billy McKinney/Dan Straily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I called them scrubs because they basically are
neither projects to be anything more then a fringe player
russell is the meat and potatoes of this deal

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Also Jeff samardzija is a front line starter and hammer is a good number three guy to give up an oft injured top prospect and two guys that don't really project to be regulars is nothing to give up to get two starters
this makes oak a favorite for the playoffs
they killed it here

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I love that the Cubs sent 2 of their best pitchers to the AL. Way to load back up on "potential" Chicago!

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I love that the Cubs sent 2 of their best pitchers to the AL. Way to load back up on "potential" Chicago!

I honestly don't understand this. Hammel was signed for the sole purpose of being a mid season flip. He pitched amazing and the Cubs traded him at his peak. Samardizja was a goner after he turned down the 5 year 80Mil deal the Cubs offered him. He wanted ace type money and IMO isn't a true ace so the Cubs went out and got one of the top 10 prospects in the game and a couple of nice add ins as well.

I think its a great trade for both clubs for obvious reasons

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
What I'm wondering is, who is the A's SS for next year? I believe Lowrie is a FA at season's end, do they sign him to an extension or do they pony up some cash for a Hanley Ramirez? Or is it more likely they sign Cabrera or Hardy for less money?

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
What I'm wondering is, who is the A's SS for next year? I believe Lowrie is a FA at season's end, do they sign him to an extension or do they pony up some cash for a Hanley Ramirez? Or is it more likely they sign Cabrera or Hardy for less money?

I don't think they're looking that far ahead, this move is to win now. And as you mentioned I think if they can't re sign him they'll just fill in with whoever they can.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I honestly don't understand this. Hammel was signed for the sole purpose of being a mid season flip. He pitched amazing and the Cubs traded him at his peak. Samardizja was a goner after he turned down the 5 year 80Mil deal the Cubs offered him. He wanted ace type money and IMO isn't a true ace so the Cubs went out and got one of the top 10 prospects in the game and a couple of nice add ins as well.

I think its a great trade for both clubs for obvious reasons

This is exactly why I don't understand the hate. Hammel was signed to flip, and the Cubs did it. The cubs tried to sign Jeff, offered 5 years for $85 million and he turned it down. They turned that into a top 10 prospect, Oakland's 1st round pick from last year, and a guy (straily) who will likely jump right in to the rotation. I am not sure what more you could have hoped for. I do have concerns over Russel's injury history, that is true. Keith Law has him as a top 5 overall prospect, tough to fault getting a guy like that for a flip guy and a pitcher you can't sign. Too bad the lowly Yankees didn't have nearly enough high end prospects to make the trade, huh Joe?

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
A's looking to win now. Advantage A's. I feel bad for Cubs fans. Just when Cubs started to get a complete pitching staff, poof. A's/Dodgers World Series if A's can get by Tigers.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Samardzija looked pretty thrilled while meeting his teammates in the dugout for the first time last night.

Has to feel good for him, playing for a contending team the first time in his post-college career.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Samardzija looked pretty thrilled while meeting his teammates in the dugout for the first time last night.

Has to feel good for him, playing for a contending team the first time in his post-college career.

I hope they win this year and they can both experience winning a ring. Both were good guys but it just wasn't going to happen(paying Shark ace money) and Hammel knew what he was when he signed the 1 year deal.

All I hope now is that your Cards don't pull off a trade for Price because a rotation with Wainwright, Price, Wacha, and Lynn is damn scary

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I hope they win this year and they can both experience winning a ring. Both were good guys but it just wasn't going to happen(paying Shark ace money) and Hammel knew what he was when he signed the 1 year deal.

All I hope now is that your Cards don't pull off a trade for Price because a rotation with Wainwright, Price, Wacha, and Lynn is damn scary

I don't think they will.

But they have to do something.

I just don't want to give up the farm for Price unless it's a sign and trade type of deal where he is locked up.

They need to do something soon, with the potential for Wacha to have more trouble, and Garcia being done, and not knowing what will happen with Kelly when he gets back.

Can't rely on Martinez and Gonzales.

And there's only so may complete games Wainwright can throw.

I'm happy with the way Lynn has been pitching.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Debut today vs the Jays. Encarnacion is down. Lawrie is out and Lind is limited. AAAA lineup should make for a good debut for Sz . :/

Watched Edwin Encarnacion Milk get hurt yesterday. Didn't look super positive. Then Donaldson flashed the lumber, then some slick leather.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
As an A's fan, I don't agree with everyone saying they're the Favorites.

Until they prove they can beat the Tiggers in October, especially JV, the trade doesn't help one bit. And actually I think in a short series, the Angels could get 'em too.

Their biggest problem is the Bullpen and they haven't yet addressed it...

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The Yanks have been playing home grown guys for years. Yanks prob didnt wanna get fleeced as its become apparent they are to banged up and arent going anywhere. Cubs fans have the homer glasses on with this deal. How does a big market team like the Cubs let him walk. He is a legit top end rotation homegrown kid. Pay him and move on. The cubs fans sound like KC fans. Act like a big market team and youll be competitive. Moving 40% of your starting rotation just makes no sense. Straily might be good enough to be a back end rotation guy. Mckinney looks like a corner OF with power that hasnt shown up yet. Who knows with him but he dont look good right now. How long are the cubs gonna be non competitive thats the real shame here. LOL.

This is exactly why I don't understand the hate. Hammel was signed to flip, and the Cubs did it. The cubs tried to sign Jeff, offered 5 years for $85 million and he turned it down. They turned that into a top 10 prospect, Oakland's 1st round pick from last year, and a guy (straily) who will likely jump right in to the rotation. I am not sure what more you could have hoped for. I do have concerns over Russel's injury history, that is true. Keith Law has him as a top 5 overall prospect, tough to fault getting a guy like that for a flip guy and a pitcher you can't sign. Too bad the lowly Yankees didn't have nearly enough high end prospects to make the trade, huh Joe?

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Yeah, I agree. Funny how the A's haven't lost a game and the Cubs haven't won a game, since the trade. But not surprising. I really feel bad for Cubs fans.

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I was looking at that last night, Cubs have 5 loses in 4 days since the trade. After winning 4 in a row before the trade it was only a matter of time before they went on the losing skid anyways.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL

Hmmm.....Samardzija didn't pitch in 26 games including 1 playoff appearance in 2008 when the Cubs won the Central? I'm not saying he has a ton of years with a contender, but geez Sam, if you have to throw out your mandatory passive aggressive dig at the Cubs here at least get it right.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Hmmm.....Samardzija didn't pitch in 26 games including 1 playoff appearance in 2008 when the Cubs won the Central? I'm not saying he has a ton of years with a contender, but geez Sam, if you have to throw out your mandatory passive aggressive dig at the Cubs here at least get it right.

I'm not going to lie. I don't even remember that.

It wasn't a dig at the Cubs at all.

The Reds have been good the last few years, in 5 years I would remember that. If the Pirates go back in the cellar this year, in 5 years I'm not going to remember they had a good season with Cutch winning the MVP. The Cubs having one good season since 2003 is pretty forgettable.

Members online

Latest posts