Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

JULIO URIAS CALLED UP TO THE DODGERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
what an awful ending! Dodgers make the game exciting only in the top of the 9th only to have the Mets end it without any drama in the bottom half.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
His example basically fits your Brandon Wood collection... Some of you are missing Kevin's point IMO, the hype now COULD be the highest it gets and the price bump may not be bad to take. Pitchers living up to or avoiding injuries are few and far between. I wish Urias all the luck in the world, but there is no reason to get defensive.

Ryan

I've always found it a little odd that pitchers, in general, no matter how great they become never have the hobby love hitters do. Kershaw is the best example of this currently. He's arguably the best player in baseball currently, and his best cards sell for half what Trout or Harper get.

You couldn't do much better for a career so far than what Kershaw is doing, and a 9.5 2006 Bowman Chrome auto goes for $600-700. While you have 9.5 2009 Bowman Chrome auto of Trout going for $1,800-1,900. There's no explanation other than pitchers don't get the hobby love.

Maybe the hobby is sleeping on Kershaw. Who knows. :???:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I appreciate great pitching more so than I do a guy hitting a few home runs in a game. Starting pitching has always been my favorite part of the game, probably because I got into baseball right when Maddux, Smoltz & Glavine were all pitching for the Braves. I don't care so much about pitching from the bullpen. It's just a bunch of failed starters who can only go an inning or two.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I dunno why they send him down. I guess they need the roster spot but wouldn't it be better to give this kid the experience of being in the bigs? The travel, the crowds and all that goes with it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I would say that in general, position players have more hobby interest than pitchers, but there are plenty of pitchers who have a strong following and the prices to support it. Kershaw autographs are not cheap in my opinion. How about the prospect factor too. Julio Urias has not done anything to warrant his cost (yet, if ever). You couldn't argue that pitchers like Koufax, Ryan, Johnson (Randy & Walter), Mathewson and Maddux don't get hobby love. I think it is harder to sustain dominance for longer periods of time as a pitcher and also so many hitters are extremely overrated from a hobby perspective for little to no output (Puig is a prime example), which makes it harder for good pitchers to appear to have strong hobby followings. Eventually everything settles into a range though and only the very best and popular sustain the highest of prices.

I've always found it a little odd that pitchers, in general, no matter how great they become never have the hobby love hitters do. Kershaw is the best example of this currently. He's arguably the best player in baseball currently, and his best cards sell for half what Trout or Harper get.

You couldn't do much better for a career so far than what Kershaw is doing, and a 9.5 2006 Bowman Chrome auto goes for $600-700. While you have 9.5 2009 Bowman Chrome auto of Trout going for $1,800-1,900. There's no explanation other than pitchers don't get the hobby love.

Maybe the hobby is sleeping on Kershaw. Who knows. :???:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I dunno why they send him down.

It's the Dodgers, that's why.

They always have a plane in the air between where the Dodgers are playing and where Oklahoma City is playing. You'd think the Dodgers GM has ADD or something that you can't keep a solid roster for a few days. Transactions weren't too bad when the Dodgers were affiliated with Albuquerque but ever since the OKC franchise investment stake and move to OKC, OKC leads the PCL in transactions.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think that a lot of people don't appreciate great pitching either. A pitcher's dual isn't a draw for some people like a home run derby is

I love the pitching duels - drama to find out whose offense is going to break out first and drama to find out if that pitcher's messup cost the team the game. Certainly beats a solid or blowout win any day when one offense is clicking all game.

as for Kershaw, I think pitchers get no respect because being dominant usually has a short shelflife. Closers are the worst but starting pitchers can be that way, too. They dominate for a few years, get injured, and typically they are out of baseball or bouncing around from AAA to MLB or taking on minor league deals just to try to get back to the show. It seems a pitcher has to have a long career and get into the HOF to really get hobby respect.

Members online

Latest posts