Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Congrats to Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, Pedro Martinez and Craig Biggio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Some of the writers purposely didn't vote for Pedro and Johnson so they could vote for players not in their Top 10. They figured both would get voted in anyways. Someone turned a blank ballot in while others didn't vote for 10 players. Pedro Gomez (espn) was a total db on twitter trying to defend his weak-ass ballot. Olney didn't turn his ballot in. Too many people trying to make a statement.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I enjoyed the interview with Pedro.. Hi-lite for me was when they asked him who the toughest batter he faced in his career, and he answered Edgar Martinez..

Just watched the interviews with Smoltz and Biggio.. "Smoltz - I was knitting a sweater waiting for the call.. " :p

Mariano Rivera says the same thing, that Edgar was always his toughest out.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Some of the writers purposely didn't vote for Pedro and Johnson so they could vote for players not in their Top 10. They figured both would get voted in anyways. Someone turned a blank ballot in while others didn't vote for 10 players. Pedro Gomez (espn) was a total db on twitter trying to defend his weak-ass ballot. Olney didn't turn his ballot in. Too many people trying to make a statement.

Blank ballot= counts towards the percentage
Non-submitted ballot= no impact on percentage

Olney didn't turn his in in protest to the issues with the system, but it didn't hurt the percentages of the players. Blank ballots are just stupid.

And while I don't like it, I totally get the "gaming the ballot", not putting Unit or Pedro on such that you can use those slots for guys you feel need the help, like a Raines or Mussina.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
And while I don't like it, I totally get the "gaming the ballot", not putting Unit or Pedro on such that you can use those slots for guys you feel need the help, like a Raines or Mussina.

And it still did not help Carlos Delgado. The man had 473 HR's in his career and was dropped from further consideration after one year.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Huge congrats to Smoltz, Pedro, Biggio, and Johnson!! Well deserved for sure....:D

And it still did not help Carlos Delgado. The man had 473 HR's in his career and was dropped from further consideration after one year.
I'm shocked Delgado only got 20 votes...he had a great career and as far as I'm aware he has never been linked to any PED use. (Doesn't mean he played clean, but in this case it's innocent until proven guilty). One of the most consistent power hitters in his era, you could pencil him in for 35+ HR and 100+ RBI. His OPS+ of 138 is on par with Reggie Jacksons and I would say he [Delagdo] had the better career. What hurts him though is his lack of awards (no MVPs), lack of postseason appearances (only once), and lack of leading the league in offensive statistics (even though he was top 10 in a lot of categories). If I had a ballot he would probably make it on mine at #9 or 10. With that said I didn't expect him to ever get enough votes to get in the HOF, but I at least thought he would get over 5% of the votes to keep him on the ballot.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
As an RJ collector, I'm excited by the fact that today's HOF announcement has already produced 4 high quality autos on eBay this afternoon/evening (HOF in the titles so obviously on listed on purpose today).

Fingers crossed that the trend continues & some more rarities pops up to capitalize on the press.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Mariano Rivera says the same thing, that Edgar was always his toughest out.

At Randy's press conference at Chase Field today, the first thing he said in his opening statement was essentially a plea to the voters to elect Edgar to the HoF - said he was the best pure hitter he'd ever seen and that he has a lot of ex-teammates he'd love to see in the Hall, but Edgar is number one.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
At Randy's press conference at Chase Field today, the first thing he said in his opening statement was essentially a plea to the voters to elect Edgar to the HoF - said he was the best pure hitter he'd ever seen and that he has a lot of ex-teammates he'd love to see in the Hall, but Edgar is number one.

Edgar was a damn good hitter.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Huge congrats to Smoltz, Pedro, Biggio, and Johnson!! Well deserved for sure....:D

I'm shocked Delgado only got 20 votes...he had a great career and as far as I'm aware he has never been linked to any PED use. (Doesn't mean he played clean, but in this case it's innocent until proven guilty). One of the most consistent power hitters in his era, you could pencil him in for 35+ HR and 100+ RBI. His OPS+ of 138 is on par with Reggie Jacksons and I would say he [Delagdo] had the better career. What hurts him though is his lack of awards (no MVPs), lack of postseason appearances (only once), and lack of leading the league in offensive statistics (even though he was top 10 in a lot of categories). If I had a ballot he would probably make it on mine at #9 or 10. With that said I didn't expect him to ever get enough votes to get in the HOF, but I at least thought he would get over 5% of the votes to keep him on the ballot.

Agreed. Not saying I think he would eventually make it into the HOF but his career certainly deserved a longer look than just one ballot, though if I had a vote I would have like to have seen him make it.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK

Members online

Latest posts