Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sonny Gray to make first Start on Satuday (at Toronto)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Lots of blog speculation to that effect, some Vandy fan sources saying he's already gotten the call.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Lots of blog speculation to that effect, some Vandy fan sources saying he's already gotten the call.

Im pretty sure its because they sent Milone down to AAA last week with the A's having two off days this week. I think you have to stay down in AAA for 10 days but Milone will be back up for his next start which will be next Tuesday I believe so Gray may either be sent back down to AAA or stay in the Bullpen unless Straily or Griffen are getting sent down.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Melvin is saying he'll be in the rotation until he's not, and that if he is successful, they'll keep him up. Seems like more than just a spot start. Very excited for him.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
You're making it sound like he's getting his shot to prove he can throw in the big leagues.

Good for him.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Melvin is saying he'll be in the rotation until he's not, and that if he is successful, they'll keep him up. Seems like more than just a spot start. Very excited for him.

Yeah, he's already been up this year & pitched very well in the bullpen. If anyone gets bumped it will probably be Straily but I know it def will not be Milone. They just sent him down because he was the last to pitch before the first off day. Basically to get an extra arm in the bullpen since the A's had off days Monday & Thursday. If anything I see him staying up in the bullpen.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Had the opportunity to attend the game. His control was sporadic in the first two but definitely settled down nicely after that.

Reddick tacked on another 2 HRs after his 3 on Friday - 5 in two days. Crazy stuff.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I watched most of it as well, though not in person.

only real issue (besides the errors) was some lack of fastball control early and getting behind batters. He spotted the FB well mostly but also allowed himself to walk an uncharacteristic amount of guys and get behind a few batters, leading to hits. He did get squeezed on about 2 2 strike fastballs that looked like they caught the inside/outside corner.

His curve was a hammer, but it seemed that the Jays knew to lay off it, as he threw it in some predictable counts (0-2, 1-2, 2-2). A fair few check swings, but they seemed able to lay off. He was successful at pitching backwards a couple times as the batters never expected that bender to drop in on the first pitch. Rajai Davis got seriously fooled on one that started over his head by about 6 inches and dropped down to his belt. he buckled and dropped his bat, thought it was a ball and jawed at the ump.

Very proud of how he settled down after a shaky first inning with the bomb to Joey Bats (incidentally, Bautista was responsible for 3 of the 4 hits he gave up, so maybe pitch around him next time), and how he was able to keep his team in the game through 6 innings while pitching at what was basically 10am to him (1pm east coast game while he has been on west coast time).

He should get another turn through the rotation and face either the Astros or Indians at home in Oakland.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Pretty good second start, I'd say. Sure, Astros and all.

8ip, 0r, 1bb, 4h, 9k.

So happy for him.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
No kidding. a BGS 9.5 Orange Red auto just sold for $185. Less than similar cards of Wong, CJ Cron, Joe Panik, Garin Cecchini, and Mark Sanchez (numbered to 15, but still).

I would assume he'll get more starts and a chance to be in a pennant run. You can't watch the highlights and think this is just a product of the Astros. Look at that curveball, and his ability to paint the low corners at 95.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
No kidding. a BGS 9.5 Orange Red auto just sold for $185. Less than similar cards of Wong, CJ Cron, Joe Panik, Garin Cecchini, and Mark Sanchez (numbered to 15, but still).

I would assume he'll get more starts and a chance to be in a pennant run. You can't watch the highlights and think this is just a product of the Astros. Look at that curveball, and his ability to paint the low corners at 95.

he pitched well, I really like him too. Honestly thought he be in the bullpen then in the Rotation next year but if he throws like this leave him in the rotation. I'm so glad we didn't trade him away for Peavey, rumors were Gray & Michael Choice for Peavey

Members online

Latest posts