Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Friday October 4, 2013 Before he called his shot...........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Todays photo features Babe Ruth taking some batting practice in Chicago's Wrigley Field before game three of the 1932 World Series. Wrigley Field replaced the outfield "jury box" where fans would watch the game and the centerfield scoreboard in 1938 with the bleachers you see today. The cool thing about the old scoreboard is that there was a figure of a pitcher, catcher and batter mounted on the top of it which many found to be quaint at best.

For those who are not familiar (I cant imagine if you are a baseball fan you are not familiar with the story) but after this photo was snapped and the game entered the 5th inning Ruth came to bat. Cub's pitcher Charlie Root threw his first pitch for a strike and Ruth put up his hand and "pointed" to centerfield. Root threw his second pitch and Ruth once again held up his hand and "pointed" just as he did after the first. The next pitch from Root was promptly deposited on Sheffield Avenue, over the spectators heads and through the trees where many were perched, watching the game. Many feel that Ruth called his shot and the legend of the Babe grew even larger after that World Series game. Working for the Cubs back in the '80's I had the opportunity to talk to many old timers who were there and witnessed with their own eyes what actually happened. From fans to ball players as well as stadium workers to a man each said Ruth did not call his shot. The story I was told time and time again was as follows:

Mark Koenig, who had played for the Yankees for a number of years and who was still friends with many of the Yankees was traded to the Cubs in mid season in 1932. Despite his decent play Koenig was only voted a half a World Series share by his Cubs teammates. The Yankees got word of this and a war of words was on both in the press and on the field. In the first two games of the Series there was bad blood between both teams and the Cubs were riding Ruth's back like a rented mule each time he would come to the plate. By time the series shifted to Chicago, Ruth and his teammates were fed up with the Cubs and wanted to finish them off in the series.

Babe Ruth came to the plate in the fifth inning of game three and was getting an ear full from the Cubs bench. He decided he had had enough and let the first pitch from Charlie Root sail by for a strike. Ruth held up a finger and yelled to Root "Thats one!". This action brought an even bigger crap storm on him by the Cubs bench and the faithful gathered in the stands. Root's second pitch sailed by for a strike and Ruth would once again hold up his hand and yell "Thats two" Some of those in attendance swear they heard Ruth yell to the pitcher Root that it only takes one before the next pitch was tossed. Root would rear back and fire his third pitch to the Babe and with a mighty swing, Ruth hit a shot in the same general area in which his hand pointed, 440 feet from home plate. As he toured the bases Ruth continued his diatribe with the Cubs fans and their bench until he crossed the plate. Later, when asked if he called his shot Ruth would never say if he did or did not. He preferred to let his actions speak for themself.

Film from that game can be found on YouTube with a short clip that shows Ruth "point" and a longer clip thats shows him rounding the bases and jawing with the Cubs bench. Check it out as it is fun to watch.

I hope you enjoy today's photo and related story.

babeatwrigley_zpsffcf2944.jpg

Since it is Friday this is the day I have featured board members photos that they have taken while in and around the various ball parks. I did not receive anything from a board member today so I will keep with the Ruth theme and post a picture that was taken by a fan right before the game started in which Johnny Vander Meer pitched the second of his back to back no hitters in 1938. This game was played at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn and was the first night game played in that park. Babe Ruth happened to be at this game as he was joining the Dodgers as their first base coach and can be seen walking across the field in this photo to speak to his Dodger teammates.

I always thought this was a cool photo not only because of the history in Vander Meers second consecutive no hitter but because Ruth was caught in this snap shot walking across the field in his street clothes on this historic night. The man who had made so much baseball history was now only a small footnote on a historic night.

JohnnyVanderMeer2ndno-hitterBabeRuthgreetingBrooklynplayersaftergame-Copy_zps6257329c.jpg

If you have apicture you want me to feature send it to me. I will make sure to include it on a Friday posting of Photo of the Day.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Wow, awesome to hear the actual story behind that myth. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for actually liking my stories. My family doesnt want to hear it so I have to bug someone!! LOL

By the way there is a quote from Charlie Root that said “If he (Ruth) pointed to the bleachers, I would have put one in his ear and knocked him on his ass”. Root was a take no prisoners, hard as nails pitcher and he would never have stood for Ruth showing him up and pointing to the bleachers. 1932 was a time in baseball that knock down pitches were the norm and showing up the other team would certainly get you unwanted attention. It is for this reason I tend to believe the old timers over the "called shot" theory.

Latest posts