Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "HOLY CRAP!" end-price thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
There was a thread a couple months ago about someone going on a tear with Thome cards, and he appears to be back at it. Thome was never a real hobby star, but maybe the time has come for a price adjustment on a "clean" 500 clubber. Most of these prices are BINs, so there might be some question as to legitimacy or if it's 1 buyer or a small army. But I don't see them being relisted so probably legit sales. The auctions are being won by several different bidders, or at least different IDs. Strong pricing on the more obscure inserts from lower tier brands, but even stronger on the big cards from top tier brands that are known player and set-builder favorites.

That 2001 Leaf Certified #/25 stands out, obviously. It was bought in late January for $26. The buyer listed it 2 weeks later for $1250 and it got bought?

You are right about Jim Thome. Last summer MrDallas had a thread about some buyer (n***2) "going ape" buying Thome cards at high prices. Now, like you said, there are several different Thome buyers, old and new. I think 4***e is top ape now. Even after Thome hit 52 homers in 2002, which is when I started collecting him, there were still only a handful of Thome collectors. The price adjustment for Thome cards has come slowly. I think some fans and collectors have gradually realized what Thome did, 612 clean home runs in the PED era, was pretty impressive. There are 11 Topps Sterling White /50 cards for sale (same seller) on ebay now, Thome and 10 HOFers. I was surprised to see how well Thome's card is doing compared to the 10 HOFers. The Thome collecting train should gain steam as the season starts and goes on.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Record or not , it's crazy

Ryan

5-6 yrs ago it would be crazy, but PP's are crazy hard to pull now. Used to pull them regularly, but now i've failed to pull one in yrs. Now i don't bust cases, not even back then...but lately i've bought tons of wax and still no PP's. Over production has driven up the rate of pulling one. Far as the ending price, as a seller it makes me optimistic that there's still decent money to be made.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
sure looks Gold to Me :eek:
1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel017_zps65183a98.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
5-6 yrs ago it would be crazy, but PP's are crazy hard to pull now. Used to pull them regularly, but now i've failed to pull one in yrs. Now i don't bust cases, not even back then...but lately i've bought tons of wax and still no PP's. Over production has driven up the rate of pulling one. Far as the ending price, as a seller it makes me optimistic that there's still decent money to be made.

Hey , to each his own. If it was an auto version , I'd say possibly. I don't see upside in a $1500 PP Non Auto personally. And I understand people Supercollect etc and want to obtain everything of a player. If that's the case w this sale , it's a very expensive time to be doing that w Bryant when his items are at the levels they are. If its someone investing for resale , like I said , $1500 for a Non Auto PP, not sure I see the upside. I've been wrong before , so maybe I am here. Those are just my thoughts at this point.

Ryan

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I remember pulling and selling a Strasburg RC auto for some ridiculous amount, I think I can buy it now for like $40-$50. Just blows my mind sometimes.

Sold mine for $500 when the hype was red hot. Strasburg alone sales from that case put me into profit range.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.

Members online

Latest posts