Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where are all of the prospectors? Where is all the buying trading selling action people!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Where are all of the prospectors? Where is all the buying trading selling act...

This board has never been big on B/S/T. Definitely as slow now as it's ever been but was never very active in that department. Far more buyers/holders/collectors than anyone looking to sell/deal/flip. As such, we talk here, sell there

The only trading we do is knowledge son!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Prospecting's dead, Zed.
Actually, this board used to be known as the prospectors' board. I guess too many speculators got burned when their prospects turned into busts and they regretted spending hundreds or thousands of bucks on mediocre rookies.

I'm glad I got out when I did. I cashed out when Delmon Young got called up almost ten years ago and haven't looked back since.

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
Prospecting's dead, Zed.
Actually, this board used to be known as the prospectors' board. I guess too many speculators got burned when their prospects turned into busts and they regretted spending hundreds or thousands of bucks on mediocre rookies.

I'm glad I got out when I did. I cashed out when Delmon Young got called up almost ten years ago and haven't looked back since.

Actually prospecting is the only thing keeping this "hobby" alive zed. Good try tho

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I wish that were true! Us player collectors would have much fuller wallets! Part of me doesn't know if it is right to even consider prospecting a hobby. I mean, I guess it is, but it seems like prospecting is 100 percent just about making money right?

Actually prospecting is the only thing keeping this "hobby" alive zed. Good try tho

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I wish that were true! Us player collectors would have much fuller wallets! Part of me doesn't know if it is right to even consider prospecting a hobby. I mean, I guess it is, but it seems like prospecting is 100 percent just about making money right?

No. Many prospectors also happen to be collectors. That money many of us make allow us to sustain our true collecting loves.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I hear you. ..I'm just speaking about those who do nothing but invest 10k in the next todd van poppel. Even then I know it can still be a hobby, but prospecting is far from what keeps the hobby alive. Though, it may be what keeps bowman alive!

No. Many prospectors also happen to be collectors. That money many of us make allow us to sustain our true collecting loves.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Missed this thread.

Yeah, the prospecting crowd seemed to be larger on Blowout. I guess I shouldn't have temped houdini's hammer.

I didn't seriously get into prospecting until about a year ago but it's not all just about the money, it's actually pretty darn fun and expands your knowledge outside just the major leagues.

Expand your mind brooo

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Howdy d2r! Your absence on bo has caused quite a stir. Are you still on there under a different name?

Missed this thread.

Yeah, the prospecting crowd seemed to be larger on Blowout. I guess I shouldn't have temped houdini's hammer.

I didn't seriously get into prospecting until about a year ago but it's not all just about the money, it's actually pretty darn fun and expands your knowledge outside just the major leagues.

Expand your mind brooo

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

I'm sure you said that half jokingly....

I don't prospect to sell. I prospect to get in on the ground floor while prices are low. As a collector, I'm not constantly making money to funnel back into the hobby from the hobby. So getting stuff while it's cheap is my goal. But, I do not do this with baseball. Just football and basketball. Far easier.

I have no problem with people prospecting baseball. I just find it weird that people(collectors) buy such cards for extreme amounts when the player gets called up or goes on a hot streak. If you're prospecting and making money, more power to you.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was a prospector for about a decade. It got boring, and when one of my bets hit, I found I enjoyed owning the cards more than the money I would make from selling. So I wanted to keep more than I sold, which is not how you do it. I make enough on my regular job, and I can make a lot more money doing quick programming contracts than prospecting, without having to wait, in most cases, years to reap the benefit. I still speculate on Magic, but I'm even more loathe to sell there, as it just keeps going up.

At the Tristar show in Houston last weekend, among the card dealers, it was about 40% vintage, 40% BGS-slabbed Chrome rookie cards, 20% everything else. That's how it's been the past few years. And the chrome sellers wanted absolutely top dollar. I had one guy tell me he wanted a 9.5 price on a raw card because he was sure it would gem. And BGS was at the show, go get it RCR'd at least. I wish the ratio for everything else was more balanced. I saw a grand total of 1 Frank Thomas card that wasn't a dollar-box type of card, and I didn't want it.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
At the Tristar show in Houston last weekend, among the card dealers, it was about 40% vintage, 40% BGS-slabbed Chrome rookie cards, 20% everything else. That's how it's been the past few years. And the chrome sellers wanted absolutely top dollar. I had one guy tell me he wanted a 9.5 price on a raw card because he was sure it would gem. And BGS was at the show, go get it RCR'd at least. I wish the ratio for everything else was more balanced. I saw a grand total of 1 Frank Thomas card that wasn't a dollar-box type of card, and I didn't want it.

I like to find sellers at shows who aren't only about money but those are harder to find. My lcs has several guys who talk about cards and not just money. I consider them collectors and guys who enjoy the hobby

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, I heard. I still keep in contact with all the regulars I talked to on another site (www.SportsCardLegends.com) but no, I haven't even checked out BO from afar since my banishment. I have no desire to lurk around places where I am no longer welcome.
Respect that! Didn't you have some crazy high number of posts over there?

Welcome to FCB; I don't spend much time at BO (am not a member but will read from time to time). All I can say is the overall vibe here is VERY different than it is there, but I'm sure you know that already.

Members online

Latest posts