Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
[MENTION=12459]TheJuniorJunkie[/MENTION] ..... keep us updated on what you pull from that box. The 98 Donruss also includes Gold Press Proofs (#/500) that serve as a good runner-up prize to the Crusade if you pull a big name.

Now you've got me thinking about buying a box, only thing I can find online is way over-priced on Amazon though :???:

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
This is what I personally consider to be Griffey's top card that isn't a 90's 1/1, and it's one that isn't posted often on here. The first ever baseball Upper Deck (or any licensed company for that matter) Game Jersey Auto, which happens to be our boy Griffey Jr.

1998_POA_Auto_24.jpg1998_POA_Auto_24_Back.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
This is what I personally consider to be Griffey's top card that isn't a 90's 1/1, and it's one that isn't posted often on here. The first ever baseball Upper Deck (or any licensed company for that matter) Game Jersey Auto, which happens to be our boy Griffey Jr.

View attachment 57315View attachment 57316

Agreed.................. I passed a few years ago on one for a Grand

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
mvp2003.jpg

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco

What's the story with the second card number RR27...interesting that baseballcardpedia doesn't indicate a RR27 for the autograph rookie reprints. The way I understood it was that Griffey was under contract with UD so he couldn't sign Donruss products so they didn't make a "RR" for Griffey, just a limited #/89 DKR20 unsigned.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'd slap my grandma for the '89...
LOL

What's the story with the second card number RR27...interesting that baseballcardpedia doesn't indicate a RR27 for the autograph rookie reprints. The way I understood it was that Griffey was under contract with UD so he couldn't sign Donruss products so they didn't make a "RR" for Griffey, just a limited #/89 DKR20 unsigned.
Beckett has them as 2001 Donruss Rookie Reprints Parallel /XX

2001 donruss rookie reprints parrell *PARALLEL: 1.5X TO 4X BASIC REPR

donruss1989.jpg

Last edited:

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Why is the front of the card #/500 but the back #/89?

That is a different card than what he was showing earlier. There was a set of cards that had the 1989 Donruss, Topps Traded, Bowman, Score, and Fleer rookies signed and numbered to 500. It was some outside organization and didn't come straight from any of those companies.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Why is the front of the card #/500 but the back #/89?
sorry on the confusion.........
That is a different card than what he was showing earlier. There was a set of cards that had the 1989 Donruss, Topps Traded, Bowman, Score, and Fleer rookies signed and numbered to 500. It was some outside organization and didn't come straight from any of those companies.
rookie7.jpg

rookies6.jpg

they were through QVC/Home Shopping Network

coa2.jpg

coa3.jpg

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Is anyone into the Topps Gold Label series?

I have a 98 Class 1 Red Label 30/100 and a 99 Class 2 Red Label 28/50. I would like to complete both years of Red Labels for Griffey.

At one time, I had thousands of different Griffey's, but sold most of them about 13 years ago. Kept six and just picked up my first autographed card and another 89 UD.

Just getting back into collecting Griffey's and learning a lot from this tread. Thank you all for sharing your vast knowledge.

Must ask some noob questions..... What is it about the 90's inserts that has everyone excited? Especially, Donruss inparticular? Also, what do you look for in your holy grail cards? Low serial #, looks, etc...?

Thanks again

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Is anyone into the Topps Gold Label series?

I have a 98 Class 1 Red Label 30/100 and a 99 Class 2 Red Label 28/50. I would like to complete both years of Red Labels for Griffey.

At one time, I had thousands of different Griffey's, but sold most of them about 13 years ago. Kept six and just picked up my first autographed card and another 89 UD.

Just getting back into collecting Griffey's and learning a lot from this tread. Thank you all for sharing your vast knowledge.

Must ask some noob questions..... What is it about the 90's inserts that has everyone excited? Especially, Donruss inparticular? Also, what do you look for in your holy grail cards? Low serial #, looks, etc...?

Thanks again
Welcome to the Boards viper, as for the 90's Inserts...................
th

90scurio5x.jpg

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Thank you for the welcome, magicpapa.

Kind of went on a shopping spree today.... Tossed out a couple low offers on some low numbered Griffey's and was surprised when they were accepted.

Picked up:

2005 Donruss Elite Gold Status Die Cut 19/24
1998 Topps Gold Label Red Home Run Race only 61 made (graded BGS 9)
2003 Flair Collection Row 2 #/25

I noticed there is a eBay seller who has the same card as the 2003 Flair, but he wants almost 12x what I paid for mine. He has A LOT of really nice very rare Griffey's as well as other players, but he seems to sell his stuff. That same seller also has the same 98 Class 1 Griffey Red Label that I have as well as the Red Label HR Race that I just picked up.

I'm thinking that I might want to go for Griffey's Tiffany RC's next.

Any other jewels that I might want to consider?

Thanks

I now have three of the Gold Label Red cards, I just need to find the others.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Thank you for the welcome, magicpapa.

Kind of went on a shopping spree today.... Tossed out a couple low offers on some low numbered Griffey's and was surprised when they were accepted.

Picked up:

2005 Donruss Elite Gold Status Die Cut 19/24
1998 Topps Gold Label Red Home Run Race only 61 made (graded BGS 9)
2003 Flair Collection Row 2 #/25

I noticed there is a eBay seller who has the same card as the 2003 Flair, but he wants almost 12x what I paid for mine. He has A LOT of really nice very rare Griffey's as well as other players, but he seems to sell his stuff. That same seller also has the same 98 Class 1 Griffey Red Label that I have as well as the Red Label HR Race that I just picked up.

I'm thinking that I might want to go for Griffey's Tiffany RC's next.

Any other jewels that I might want to consider?

Thanks

I now have three of the Gold Label Red cards, I just need to find the others.

Welcome to the FCB and the Griffey Collectors.. If the EBAY ID you are referring to is one of these, we know that this seller just buys cards and puts super high prices on them waiting for someone that doesn't care about price to grab something..

1990s-card-collector used to be griffeyjrfan24, griffeyfan24, and I believe he has a few other id's like Vintage-Snowmobiles, and a few others..

You can recognize his id's by the pictures.. they all have the same angle and carpet in the pictures..

View attachment 57418

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
^^Double check to ensure that Race to 61 is actually serial numbered.

Thanks athletics, I don't think they are serial numbered. Only 61 were made of the red label.

Correction: They are serial numbered, according to baseballcardpedia.

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1998_Topps_Gold_Label

It seems like even if I manage to complete the red label set of Griffey, the one of one will be an impossible find, unless I find one and want to shell out mega bucks.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Welcome to the FCB and the Griffey Collectors.. If the EBAY ID you are referring to is one of these, we know that this seller just buys cards and puts super high prices on them waiting for someone that doesn't care about price to grab something..

1990s-card-collector used to be griffeyjrfan24, griffeyfan24, and I believe he has a few other id's like Vintage-Snowmobiles, and a few others..

You can recognize his id's by the pictures.. they all have the same angle and carpet in the pictures..

View attachment 57418

That's the seller, Pinbreaker.

I looked at his completed items and he does sell some for astronomical prices. Must be nice....

Thank you for the welcome. Much appreciated. :)

Members online

Latest posts