Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Topps Rookie Cup hobby box live break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I opened one of these a while back and had a ton of fun doing so, so here I have another. I know there aren't many around middle of the day (man I love working online only), but a pack by pack break makes me savor the bust a little more, so I will post each pack as I bust it.

I will start in a few minutes with the box topper (pulled a 1/1 last time).

EDIT TO ADD RECAP:

A very fun break, but I guess I didn't realize just how great my last box of this was (1/1 Andruw Jones boxtopper and Andre Dawson on a dual autograph). My "hits" here were straight junk, and what would have been the best card (barely, as it is Mel Hall!) was a redemption.

I absolutely LOVE that the product has so many names from the last 40 years of baseball that were solid players but not quite superstars or HOFers. The stack on my desk includes fantastic names like Rico Carty, Brook Jacoby, Scott Hatteberg, J.T. Snowm Vince Coleman, Scott Podsednik, Hideo Nomo, Rick Monday, Tim Wallach,Ray Durham, Claudell Washington, Gary Matthews, Pete Incaviglia, the list goes on and on. I miss sets like this, but no one would pay the money it takes to make this set anymore, I don't think.

Here are scans of my crazy OMG MOJOZ hits

Scan%201_zps35aj5ewa.jpeg

Last edited:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Pack 3:

Sabo orange parallel 199/399
Reprints: Jerry Koosman, Wally Joyner

I'm remembering why I like this set. So many great names form the past that were stars but not quite superstars.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Pack 5:

Orange First Year Autograph: Mark Pawelek 263/299 - Of course I'd have preferred Tulo!
Reprints: Moises Alou, Jonny Gomes

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I had to look up Pawelek. Never made it past A ball and last pitched in an independent league in 2010. I bet he's got some road stories. Per the card back, he had a 0.00 ERA and 132 Ks in 63 innings for his senior year in high school! What could have been for this "lean, ideally built southpaw."

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Pack 6:

Strawberry yellow parallel 191/299
Reprints: Mark Kotsay, Pujols from 2002, complete with Placido Polanco's photo on the back (sorry about that one, fellas, but I was hungover and under deadline!)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I had to look up Pawelek. Never made it past A ball and last pitched in an independent league in 2010. I bet he's got some road stories. Per the card back, he had a 0.00 ERA and 132 Ks in 63 innings for his senior year in high school! What could have been for this "lean, ideally built southpaw."

Pawelek and Grace were a weird pairing in this product. Never liked this card. Santo was much better.

05TOPPSROOKIECUPDUALAUTOMP.jpg
05TOPPSROOKIECUPSANTO.jpg

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Pack 9:

Nick Johnson red parallel 444/499
Reprint: Manny Ramirez
A REDEMPTION! Congratulations to me! I am due to receive and original relic card of Mel Hall! Anyone have a time machine, as this expired on 12/31/07?!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
A little research shows me the relic was to be numbered out of 5. I wonder how many got made/shipped?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Pack 9:

Nick Johnson red parallel 444/499
Reprint: Manny Ramirez
A REDEMPTION! Congratulations to me! I am due to receive and original relic card of Mel Hall! Anyone have a time machine, as this expired on 12/31/07?!

BUMMER. Many of the cool Topps Rookie Cup cards with the little trophy embedded into the card were redemption cards. I love those cards.

Members online

Latest posts