Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

'09 NON-prospect breakout canidates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trolea1234

Aug 7, 2008
I may be a bit biased, But I have a feeling Hunter Pence is going to have a breakout this year.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Willie Randolph will get the numbers out of him. A great bench-coach signing by the Brewers.

183e_1.jpg

Remember these?

Reyes7tulo2

Aug 8, 2008
sheetskout said:
Willie Randolph will get the numbers out of him. A great bench-coach signing by the Brewers.

Remember these?

If he played against the Mets all year, he would be an All Star. He has killed them the past couple of years.

Edit: I think Maine could have a bounce back year. Everyone was predicting big things for him last year in Spring Training and then he got hurt.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
1) Zack Greinke (Last year he finally "began" putting together production that has been expected from him all along, this year he should take over the #1 spot; if not out of the gates- sooner then later).

2) Daniel Cabrera (Has always had filthy stuff but lacked consistency due to control issue's, also never really had any mentoring or quality time given towards his development. Towards the middle to second half of last year the Orioles made Cabrera slow it down & at first was very successful, then hitter's adjusted & it was downhill. With a change of scenerey comes a new start both physically & "especially" mentally (he will no longer carry the burden of being Baltimore's wasted phenom, he can turn the page & take what adjustments he's had to make & combine that with his nasty repertoire; throw in that he's playing for next year's contract & I think he could be a success story this year).

3) Dice-K (This one's pretty self explanatory but he's got ALL of the makeup for a breakout candidate- including a huge fan base which will take notice of every positive & magnify it that much more- but I think I am speaking much more on a card value increase than a statistical outburst with him. I think he's gotten used to MLB hitting & feels comfortable having several year's experience to get the swing of how we do it here in the States, & if the Red Sox have the normal success that they normally do then his card value's should pick up bigtime from where they've been this past offseason).

These are just several of my pick's, though we all know that nothing is set in stone (I just like the odd's & possible roi's connected with these guy's item's)! :D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I am hoping Nate McClouth and Hunter Pence.They aren't doing too bad as is but I really hope to see both just explode this year.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Two that haven't been mentioned:
Haren-check his stats from last year. High K/BB, nice whip, ERA, etc. All screams he will do well. If the DBacks win 85-90 games I see a Cy in his future.
Liriano-Coming off TJS, and had a solid second half. He is still very young, and I'm sure he still has the stuff.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I think Granderson might get his 1st AS selection. His overall numbers were down last year from his 4x 20 season, but he actually was better in walks and Ks. The combination of playing the whole season this year, and continued improvement in his eye, I think he will be right there with Sizemore on the AL CF vote.

Also, Verlander like many have mentioned here was most likely hurt all last season. Dombrowski said something hinting at it, but not totally admitting to it for some reason. So I think he is a safe bet to do much better this year.

Fernando Martinez

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with some of the ones listed (mainly Morrow, Weeks, and Kendrick), but here are two more I haven't seen:

James Loney-One of my favorite players out there. He hit 290 with about 15 HR and 90 RBI's, but the power wasn't what people expected. I could definitely see him going 300-20-100 this year, all while playing great defense.

Paul Maholm-The Pirates pitchers were supposed to break out last year (Duke, Snell, Gorzelanny), but Maholm was the only one who came close to it. I don't think he becomes a top 10 pitcher in the league, but I think Maholm could put up a mid-low 3 ERA, 200+ innings, 150 K's or so, and about 12-14 wins on an awful Pirates team.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Fernando Martinez said:
I agree with some of the ones listed (mainly Morrow, Weeks, and Kendrick), but here are two more I haven't seen:

James Loney-One of my favorite players out there. He hit 290 with about 15 HR and 90 RBI's, but the power wasn't what people expected. I could definitely see him going 300-20-100 this year, all while playing great defense.

Paul Maholm-The Pirates pitchers were supposed to break out last year (Duke, Snell, Gorzelanny), but Maholm was the only one who came close to it. I don't think he becomes a top 10 pitcher in the league, but I think Maholm could put up a mid-low 3 ERA, 200+ innings, 150 K's or so, and about 12-14 wins on an awful Pirates team.

Screw Weeks, the guy is a BUM. I bought 15 chrome autos going into last year thinking I was a genius..... Uh huh
He can't stay health and SUCKS

Latest posts