Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1990 Donruss Red / Red card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miked211

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for checking. There have been a few “finds” of red/red test issues in the last 8 years or so. From what I remember there were blue/white tests and red/red tests both double fronted and the checklists did not overlap on these as well as the aqueous test cards. I think that each card number only had one type test card. I know that has held true for Murph. Some one else can speak to other players.
Should be a market for these though. Good luck!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Interesting. So as far as you know, cards in this set only had one of these four types of pre-production tests (or maybe zero). I hope that is true. Robbie Alomar had an Aqueous, so hopefully there are none of these others out there lurking :)

Speaking of which, @Ameyer1979, any Alomars among those double sided ones?

Ameyer1979

Feb 8, 2021
Thanks for checking. There have been a few “finds” of red/red test issues in the last 8 years or so. From what I remember there were blue/white tests and red/red tests both double fronted and the checklists did not overlap on these as well as the aqueous test cards. I think that each card number only had one type test card. I know that has held true for Murph. Some one else can speak to other players.
Should be a market for these though. Good luck!
Not sure what you mean by “the checklists did not overlap on these”. I know we have some cards that have a photo on the front and a checklist on the back.

Ameyer1979

Feb 8, 2021
Interesting. So as far as you know, cards in this set only had one of these four types of pre-production tests (or maybe zero). I hope that is true. Robbie Alomar had an Aqueous, so hopefully there are none of these others out there lurking :)

Speaking of which, @Ameyer1979, any Alomars among those double sided ones?
No Alomars that I can see

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Hello!
I am late to the party...looks like there are more of these rare red/red cards out there! We just discovered about 1100 of these cards in a box handed down to my husband from his dad (about 180-190 different sets ranging from 7-10 cards per set). They were purchased 1990-91 time frame and purchased as a lot with some other cards. They are open packages but they sat in the box they came in for the last 30 years and are in pristine condition. They came already cut. From the research we have done, someone said they were proof pages that were scraps. They are usually discarded, but this person thought some were “backdoored”. I can tell you that they are still hard to find info on, and pricing on eBay is scarce as there just doesn’t seem to be a lot out there.
Hoping to research a little more before we start selling to get a good price point for some of our good players/hall of famers. Just wanted to jump in here to let you all know that more have surfaced. Would love to get any tips or insight in how to price out some of these. We inventoried all of them and I can provide some lists of the good ones we have. I will post a sample pic of the couple we took pics of...and here is a link to a YouTube video that shows the cards in action to prove they are real!

Ryne Sandberg?

Ameyer1979

Feb 8, 2021
To make it a little easier...these are the Hall of Fame/Good players we have...

Burks, EllisBenes, Andy10EB - Diamond King, AB - Rated Rookie
Sheffield, GaryFranco, Julio8
Bell, GeorgeKreuter, Chad8
Mitchell, KevinDaugherty, Jack8
Williams, MattSalazar, Lius7
Grissom, MarquisTettleton, Mickey9MG- Rated Rookie, MT - Diamond King
Deshields, DelinoChecklist10
Bonilla, BobbyBrown, Kevin10
Bonilla, BobbyFletcher, Scott9
Ripken, CalBaines, Harold6
Biggio, CraigScudder, Scott7
Mollitor, PaulMcClure, Bob9
Smoltz, JohnBuhner, Jay8
Bell, JoeyBuckner, Bill8
Johnson, RandyKnepper, Bob11
Griffey Jr, KenOberkfell, Ken8
Herderson, RickeyBergman, Dave9
Sanders, DionJones, Doug7
Fisk, CarltonSpiers, Bill8
Griffey Jr, KenGardner, Mark9KG - Diamond King, MG - Rated Rookie
Gibson, KirkMcFarlane, Mike9
Hernandez, KeithWilson, Glenn9

miked211

Dec 20, 2009
I was talking about the 3 different kinds of test cards found for 1990 Donruss: red/red test, blue/white test, aqueous test. It seems like each card in the set only had one of these types of test issue but not a aqueous test version and a red/red test version (for example). Just trying to help with some background on these.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Any chance you found any of the white/blue test cards from the same year in that stash?

90.30a.jpeg90.30b.jpeg

I’m looking for the reverse Puckett to complete this pair. I believe he may of had another pair with another player as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Attachments

• Image1612883786.099117.jpg
    Image1612883786.099117.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 7

Ameyer1979

Feb 8, 2021
Jan 14, 2009
Not sure what you mean by “the checklists did not overlap on these”. I know we have some cards that have a photo on the front and a checklist on the back.

As I stated previously in response to your email, this specific batch of red/red player combos should not also appear as blue/white or aqueous test proofs. There should be (at least) three separate groups of player combos without an checklist overlap between them.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Great to hear confirmation that these different variations don't have overlap in their checklists. I'm officially crossing off the Blue/White and Red/Red cards from my "do they exist?" checklist.

I would love to hear from a 1990 Donruss employee, who knows more about the development of these cards. I mean, why Aqueous? Why blue/white? Why red/red? And most of all, how did these get into the wild?

As I stated previously in response to your email, this specific batch of red/red player combos should not also appear as blue/white or aqueous test proofs. There should be (at least) three separate groups of player combos without an checklist overlap between them.

Ameyer1979

Feb 8, 2021
Great to hear confirmation that these different variations don't have overlap in their checklists. I'm officially crossing off the Blue/White and Red/Red cards from my "do they exist?" checklist.

I would love to hear from a 1990 Donruss employee, who knows more about the development of these cards. I mean, why Aqueous? Why blue/white? Why red/red? And most of all, how did these get into the wild?
This is what we have been trying to research as well. It has been leading to lots of nothing. It is hard to trace back which companies Donruss was associated with as it changed hands so many times, but it appears they merged with Leaf, Inc sometime in the 80s through mid to late 90s. I tried emailing lots of people to make some kind of connection, but there just does not seem to be any connecting going on so far!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Indeed. The things that us nerds obsess over!

This is what we have been trying to research as well. It has been leading to lots of nothing. It is hard to trace back which companies Donruss was associated with as it changed hands so many times, but it appears they merged with Leaf, Inc sometime in the 80s through mid to late 90s. I tried emailing lots of people to make some kind of connection, but there just does not seem to be any connecting going on so far!

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Good luck on your quest for more information! I’d like to know the story myself.

I’m holding out hope that you uncover a glorious stash of Blue/White test cards to compliment the Red/Red stash you uncovered. I’d love to finally find the missing Blue Puckett / White Sax to complete my pair.

I’m almost certain I saw an uncut sheet several years ago that was listed on eBay that contained a different Puckett pair. I wish I would have taken pictures of that while it was listed. Anyone remember it getting listed or grabbed pics of it by chance?

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Good luck on your quest for more information! I’d like to know the story myself.

I’m holding out hope that you uncover a glorious stash of Blue/White test cards to compliment the Red/Red stash you uncovered. I’d love to finally find the missing Blue Puckett / White Sax to complete my pair.

I’m almost certain I saw an uncut sheet several years ago that was listed on eBay that contained a different Puckett pair. I wish I would have taken pictures of that while it was listed. Anyone remember it getting listed or grabbed pics of it by chance?

There was a thread on here about not sure if anyone saved the pics though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts