Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Pinnacle Mint Coins Gold Redemption - Anyone have an example?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
How can you tell the difference between the brass and gold plated brass? I understand they both appear as "yellow gold" and there are no different markings. I have a coin, but no idea which it is.

Tpaty14

Jun 14, 2015
So if I ever see the 24k gold Albert Belle show up on eBay it is likely backdoor since they were never released in packs or redemption? Interesting. I guess I will flag these as basically nonexistent.
I’m not saying some weren’t released in packs as redemptions for the pure gold and I know some silvers def made it in to packs , but I also know for sure not all 97-98 NFL or MLB fine silver and gold redemption made it in to packs. I completed my set w the help of my buddy who met someone with multiple sets of fine silver both mlb and NFL. They are in absolute pristine shape, proving they never made it in to packs. Half of my silvers have at least some sort of toning. These were the half I got from random people over the years on eBay mostly. The other half from one seller were absolutely perfect. I believe they inherited these coins as well. Now I think it’s shady as hell not all 97 coins made it in packs, but 98 I could see as that’s the year they went under. The mystery around these coins is part of why I love collecting them. Well and I started collecting these as a kid in 97-98. Still have my original coins from then as well. Prob sitting with my thousands upon thousands of 90s cards not worth the paper they were printed on lol

Last edited:

Maxflash5

Mar 23, 2021
i have a 1997 Pinnacle Mint fine silver Manny Ramirez. It’s been so long that I cant remember the details. I had an error. I called pinnacle Mint and they told me to mail it to them and they would replace it with the silver coin. I did as instructed a received the silver coin in plastic card sleeve stapled. I can’t find this anywhere to get an idea of the value.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
i have a 1997 Pinnacle Mint fine silver Manny Ramirez. It’s been so long that I cant remember the details. I had an error. I called pinnacle Mint and they told me to mail it to them and they would replace it with the silver coin. I did as instructed a received the silver coin in plastic card sleeve stapled. I can’t find this anywhere to get an idea of the value.
That is awesome! Wow, wish I could find a Belle.

izitg2

Apr 8, 2021
An Alex Rodriguez was sold for $1100 in October 2012 by Huggins & Scott Auctions

http://sep12.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=49251
I pulled that redemption card when I was 10 years old from a small card shop in St. Louis. My friend’s dad would take us around to different shops on the weekends. This particular visit I was looking for Pinnacle Mint packs because we thought the coins were so cool (practically treasure to a 10 yr old). When I opened the pack I really didn’t think anything of the redemption card because I was so focused on the coins and the actual cards. I wanted to have all the cards with the different coins inserted into them for display in my room. In fact, I thought the redemption card was some stupid promotion. It wasn’t until my friend’s dad read it that he realized what it was. My parents actually didn’t believe it until they called a few card shops and finally Pinnacle directly.

Once you sent in the card the player coin you got back was based on the order in which they received the cards. First card received should have gotten you Griffey, second was Big Hurt, third was ARod. It came back in a nondescript white box with some paperwork and a small blue velvet case. The coin itself was in a tightly sealed clear plastic case. I would continue to collect cards for a few more years until I got to middle school and collecting cards became “uncool”.

Anyways, I held on to the coin in a safe despot box for 16 years and didn’t really think about it much. It wasn’t until I met a great girl and decided to get married that it became relevant to me again. I contacted Huggins & Scott and worked with a VP over there named Josh W. to get it into one of their auctions. I was hoping it would go for $3k but ultimately fell way short. The story has a happy ending for me though. I was able to take that money and use it to buy an engagement ring for my GF. Ten years later and two kids, it’s still one of the best decisions I ever made and I wouldn’t change a thing. Every time I look at her ring I think of that coin. Heck, when I see ARod in the news it reminds me of it.

I’m in a much different place financially now and would love to be able to buy it back. If anyone knows where it landed please pass it along!

Tpaty14

Jun 14, 2015
Still searching for the value of their fine silver coin...anyone?
Around $75-400 depending on player and if graded or not. On avg you could expect about $125ish.

I have one of those Manny fine silver errors as well as a legit fine silver. What’s crazy is the 97 fine silver coins were only supposed to be a mintage of 25. I can’t believe they replaced the brass error for a real silver version. I never believed pinnacle in terms of how many they actually minted for any year or any coin and no even believe them less so. They seem to have produced quite a few “one offs” where there’s just no mention anywhere of them.

Btw recommend you put the coin in an air-tight. I left the Manny out of a capsule for 2/3 days and it got toned like crazy. Grr

Last edited: