Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Leaf Valiant...a true picture of rarity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
So I asked BG if he could give me an estimate on the total number of cases produced. Without much fight he offered up the number 260. Wow...starting there that's pretty rare.

Now let's look at the numbers by player using the Short Print numbers that JP poster earlier today. Now, let me say that I have made a few "assumptions" in my calculations. First, I'm assuming full pack out of all inserts. We know BG will hold back some quantity of cards for replacements, but I'm not sure how much of which cards he held, so I'm assuming full pack out. Second, I'm making the assumption that there are a total of 100 Pujols in this product. I'm guessing on some of the parallel quantities, and then backfilling in the number of greens that makes sense to me based upon "Under 40%" as his level of SP. Another assumption (that unfortunately forces the numbers slightly lower than they should be) I'm allocating Yasiel Puig and Michael Kelly redemptions as if each redemption was only worth 1 card. One last assumption, I don't know how many "memorabilia mystery redemptions" exist, so I didn't account for them. For my sake, I consider the memorabilia redemptions as a wash with the Puig and Kelly redemptions that are for more than 1 card, so the net effect has no bearing on the number of green base autos.

With 260 cases, 12 boxes per case, and 10 cards per pack, that's a total number of autos 31,200.
So, out of 31,200 autos
subtract 100 Pujols
Now all numbers below are considering 94 players on the CL.
subtract 9306 Orange or Blue (in the case of Cone, Kelly, and Bell where their Blues are /99)
subtract 2350 Purple /25
subtract 2275 Blue /25 (since Cone, Kelly, and Bell are /99, I didn't include them in this number)
subtract 940 Yellow/Gold /10
subtract 470 Black /5
subtract 94 Red 1/1
subtract 376 Plates 4 1/1s

So that leaves 15,289 autographs that are base green (not including Pujols as he was subtracted earlier). If you add up all of my numbers below. They add up to 15,288.

Based on a pure across the board average that would be only 163ish green autos per player.

Now we know that quite a few players are more rare than others as was posted earlier today.
(Reposting here for simplification)
Short prints (50-65% of standard run):
David Dahl
J.O. Berrios
Corey Seager
Deven Marrero
Lucas Giolito
Andrew Heaney
Ty Hensley
Jairo Beras

Super Short Prints (40-50% of standard print run):
Kevin Gausman
Kyle Zimmer

Mega Short prints (under 40% of standard print run):
Carlos Correa
Nick Castellanos
Miguel Sano
Alen Hanson
Albert Pujols

Since copy and paste may not format well from excel, I took snap shots from my excel and posted pics. I did include a copy paste below, hopefully it looks okay.

Leaf Valiant 1.jpgLeaf Valiant 2.jpgLeaf Valiant 3.jpgLeaf Valiant 4.jpg

So when it comes down to it. We're talking about under 200 "base" green autos for the non-short prints. Then you look at the guys that are considered SP based upon the above info and you're looking at some guys being rarer in green form than in their numbered /99 orange parallel.

Green Estimate QuantitiesSP Level
VA-AA1 Albert Almora175
VA-AA2 Austin Aune175
VA-AH1 Andrew Heaney10050-65%
VA-AH2 Alen Hanson70Under 40%
VA-AP1 Albert Pujols48Under 40%
VA-AR1 Addison Russell175
VA-AR2 Avery Romero175
VA-AW1 Alex Wood175
VA-BB1 Byron Buxton175
VA-BB2 Barrett Barnes175
VA-BJ1 Brian Johnson175
VA-BM1 Bruce Maxwell175
VA-CB1 Chris Beck175
VA-CC1 Carlos Correa70Under 40%
VA-CH1 Courtney Hawkins175
VA-CK1 Carson Kelly175
VA-CR1 Colin Rodgers175
VA-CS1 Corey Seager10050-65%
VA-DC1 Daniel Corcino175
VA-DD1 David Dahl10050-65%
VA-DJD D.J. Davis175
VA-DM1 Deven Marrero10050-65%
VA-DR1 Daniel Robertson175
VA-EB1 Eddie Butler175
VA-FR1 Felipe Rivero175
VA-GC1 Gavin Cecchini175
VA-JA1 Jesus Aguilar175
VA-JB1 Josh Bell175
VA-JB2 Jorge Bonifacio175
VA-JB3 Jairo Beras10050-65%
VA-JB5 Jeremy Baltz175
VA-JC1 Jamie Callahan175
VA-JDC Joe DeCarlo175
VA-JG1 Joey Gallo175
VA-JG2 Jeff Gelalich175
VA-JOB J.O. Berrios10050-65%
VA-JP1 James Paxton175
VA-JR1 James Ramsey175
VA-JS1 Jorge Soler175
VA-JV1 Jesmuel Valentin175
VA-JW1 Jesse Winker175
VA-KB1 Keon Barnum175
VA-KG1 Kevin Gausman8040-50%
VA-KP1 Kevin Plawecki175
VA-KZ1 Kyle Zimmer8040-50%
VA-LB1 Luke Bard175
VA-LB2 Lewis Brinson175
VA-LG1 Lucas Giolito10050-65%
VA-LM1 Lance McCullers Jr.175
VA-LS1 Lucas Sims175
VA-MA1 Martin Agosta175
VA-MB1 Mitch Brown175
VA-MF1 Max Fried175
VA-MG1 Mitchell Gueller175
VA-MH1 Mitch Haniger175
VA-MK1 Michael Kelly175
VA-MN1 Mitch Nay175
VA-MO1 Matt Olson175
VA-MO2 Marcell Ozuna175
VA-MS1 Marcus Stroman175
VA-MS2 Matt Smoral175
VA-MS2 Miguel Sano70Under 40%
VA-MW2 Michael Wacha175
VA-MZ1 Michael Zunino175
VA-NC1 Nick Castellanos70Under 40%
VA-NM1 Nomar Mazara175
VA-NM2 Nestor Molina175
VA-NT1 Nick Travieso175
VA-OA1 Oswaldo Arcia175
VA-PB1 Paul Blackburn175
VA-PC1 Phillips Castillo175
VA-PJ1 Pierce Johnson175
VA-PL1 Pat Light175
VA-PR1 Pete Rose175
VA-PW1 Patrick Wisdom175
VA-RO1 Rougned Odor175
VA-RR1 Rio Ruiz175
VA-RS1 Richie Shaffer175
VA-RS2 Ravel Santana175
VA-SP1 Stephen Piscotty175
VA-SS1 Sam Selman175
VA-ST1 Stryker Trahan175
VA-SW1 Shane Watson175
VA-TB1 Ty Buttrey175
VA-TC1 Tony Cingrani175
VA-TG1 Tyler Gonzales175
VA-TH1 Ty Hensley10050-65%
VA-TJ1 Travis Jankowski175
VA-TN1 Tyler Naquin175
VA-TR1 Tanner Rahier175
VA-VR1 Victor Roache175
VA-WM1 Wyatt Mathisen175
VA-WW1 Walker Weickel175
VA-YP1 Yasiel Puig175
VA-ZC1 Zach Cone175

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I like this post...I will probably never buy an of these cards, but your post reminds me of me back in the days trying to figure out how many refractors there were in 1993 Finest...

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Scarcity is great, but scarcity alone does not create demand. Unless there is demand, the scarcity is irrelevant. And, as can be seen with 2011 Metal/Valiant and the current Metal vs. mainstream products, the demand is not tremendous.

WaxPax

Agree 100%, You could pull a Soler, Zunino or Buxton metal auto #'d /25 and doesn't even 1/2 the cost of a box...In more mainstream products hits like that cover a significant amount of a case...Just my 2 cents

Scarcity is great, but scarcity alone does not create demand. Unless there is demand, the scarcity is irrelevant. And, as can be seen with 2011 Metal/Valiant and the current Metal vs. mainstream products, the demand is not tremendous.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
How many days until Topps is forced to release their stranglehold on the MLB license?

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA

That's simple economics and nobody is disagreeing with you. Factually though, without a clear understanding of scarcity, the demand and therefore monetary spend may not be reflective of fair or future value. If buyers and sellers realized from the get go how little of this was out there, would they let the prices settle this low? These products get busted in mass and the market floods, but the bottom line, the numbers above will tell you that flood will disappear almost immediately. I suppose you could say my argument (if any) is that sellers shouldn't undervalue this product, there really isn't much of it at all. And the message to buyers, buy now while you have the chance, because there won't really be another wave coming.

With Bowman Chrome for example, there is the initial hype, the first few sell really high, then the flood hits, prices drop and drop fast. Afterwards there is some normalization and maybe some bounce-back, but there is so much made that the availability doesn't really diminish. With Valiant (and Metal I assume, don't know the production run) the availability after the flood will be next to nothing.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I use Chris at Card Infinity as a perfect slice of the collecting world. Those guys will buy anything and everything and Chris will rip it on camera. Of course they buy Exquisite and National Treasures...but recently a few guys have bought Garbage Pail Kids and Star Wars Galactic Files. Just about anything new he has people who will buy it and have him rip on cam. And just like a card shop he gets all kinds of different products. Within the last week people have bought 2009 Contenders Football, 2010 Crown Royale Football, 2010 Limited Football and 2007 Artifacts. So it isnt just new stuff. He has ripped TONS of Leaf products... 2012 Metal Baseball, Best of Baseball and Basketball, Helmet Football and Signature Series Basketball just to name a few. I find it interesting that he hasnt ripped a single box of 2012 Valiant Baseball.... I think that tells you what the general collecting public thinks of it.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
P_Manning, I was looking through his rips for Valiant as well and didn't find any.

Jim, while I agree that the greens are not as mass produced as they were last year, or say, base Bowman Chrome autos, the bottom line is that people won't pay a premium for a base auto when there are less produced variants. The /99s, and the /75s (nicely disguised as THREE /25s, which in my opinion is quite bush league), and 10s and 5s -- they exist in the quantities that they purport to (assuming no shady dealings). While the sealed product may be rare, that makes it, in fact, EASIER to hit the /25s and /99s and /10s and /5s and 1s, which leads to a lower priced card. Leaf, in it's attempt to get lots of color into the boxes, actually did the end consumer a disservice depressing the prices of the rarer cards.

I wish you luck in recouping the cost of your cases, Jim. You may, and I hope you do.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
P_Manning, I was looking through his rips for Valiant as well and didn't find any.

Jim, while I agree that the greens are not as mass produced as they were last year, or say, base Bowman Chrome autos, the bottom line is that people won't pay a premium for a base auto when there are less produced variants. The /99s, and the /75s (nicely disguised as THREE /25s, which in my opinion is quite bush league), and 10s and 5s -- they exist in the quantities that they purport to (assuming no shady dealings). While the sealed product may be rare, that makes it, in fact, EASIER to hit the /25s and /99s and /10s and /5s and 1s, which leads to a lower priced card. Leaf, in it's attempt to get lots of color into the boxes, actually did the end consumer a disservice depressing the prices of the rarer cards.

I wish you luck in recouping the cost of your cases, Jim. You may, and I hope you do.

Appreciate the well wishes. I'm doing quite well with Metal so far, and I'm confident I will do the same with Valiant.

One point of clarification though, Metal had 3 parallels /25 (pink, purple, blue), Valiant had 2 (blue, purple). I won't deny the bush league comment, I was not a fan of 3 parallels all /25 or even the 2 parallels in Valiant /25. BUT, I'm glad they were in the product instead of in some other product only to be released later.

WaxPax

Clearly, it would have been better served to produce a /50 and a /25 parallel from these 3 (would equal the same amount produced), offering more value to each parallel.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

Yes, cards aren't only about scarcity and/or licensing... a product that only relies on scarcity and licensing is a failed product.

NeedChapmans

Aug 19, 2012
There are three versions of the /25 in Valliant? (Blue and Purple ... what's the third?)

I know they made a Pink in Metal ... but only have /25 x2 is much better don't you think (unless I'm missing something)

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
One of the main issues, and I think biggest, is that the product almost mirrors Leaf Metal Draft. So even if there are X number of base and parallels, you have a set released just a few months earlier with almost the same checklist, parallel breakdown, etc. Sure, the design is different, but when you are already an unlicensed product trying to gain parts of the market, releasing two products with near identical checklists isn't likely going to be a good thing, at least from a collectors value.

I am a fan of what Leaf is doing and of their products. Ripped a case of Metal, waiting to get them all back from BGS. I think I'll do ok piecing it out over the next 1-2 years (which I already planned on doing), but it certainly doesn't help that Valiant released a month later with a near identical checklist

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Jim,

I think because most collector's have not embraced or accepted Leaf (or unlicensed cards in general - it's not just Leaf), the answer to your question is yes, we would let this settle this low knowing the quantities b/c it's not a product people really want. I do agree that the point of your post is very valid - this will dry up and be hard to find down the road. The real question is... does anyone believe that collectors will want these cards in the future? It's clear no one really cares right now, but no one knows the future of the collecting market or what will be in demand. Stadium Dome/Murphy sets were worthless for a long time (though important to note that they were licensed) and then all of a sudden everyone wanted them. It could be there is a key guy in here that gets overlooked by other companies and this becomes his only true rookie card. In that case, this stuff may climb down the road, in which case, there will always be some available to the masses because there will always be a seller for a hot item.

The message to buyers should be buy now if you are a collector and want one of these for your collection OR buy now if you think these have upside in the future (which really, is the same motto for any product that is released).

If buyers and sellers realized from the get go how little of this was out there, would they let the prices settle this low? These products get busted in mass and the market floods, but the bottom line, the numbers above will tell you that flood will disappear almost immediately. I suppose you could say my argument (if any) is that sellers shouldn't undervalue this product, there really isn't much of it at all. And the message to buyers, buy now while you have the chance, because there won't really be another wave coming.

With Valiant (and Metal I assume, don't know the production run) the availability after the flood will be next to nothing.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Valiant is just not visually appealing to a lot of collectors. I was in a card store yesterday and the dealer still had the 6 original boxes that he got in. Said no one was interested in busting it lol. Asked me if I wanted them at a nice discount and I turned them down. I do love Leaf Metal and think they design is pretty sharp. I'll keep busting those boxes until some of the bigger 1/1's are uncovered.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They're rare because Leaf prints so few cards to meet the low demand. Then Leaf states the product has sold out to distributers/dealers, as Leaf products usually do. But it's only because the low demand met the low supply.

It's a smart marketing decision, even though the sold out products are in no way indicative of the overall demand.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
They're rare because Leaf prints so few cards to meet the low demand. Then Leaf states the product has sold out to distributers/dealers, as Leaf products usually do. But it's only because the low demand met the low supply.

It's a smart marketing decision, even though the sold out products are in no way indicative of the overall demand.

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. If BG made any of his products to demand, there would be a hell of a lot more made. I asked for 7 cases of Valiant, was told I couldn't get more than 2. He chooses to keep the supply low, but the demand for the product was real and every one of his products have sold out within 3 days of solicitation and the most recent, Ultimate, was sold out within a few hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts