Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you like to see in a card shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I want to open a card store someday, hopefully soon :p
But what would you like to see in a card shop?
From products, supplies, to the store's appearance, to events happenings in a shop.
What are your reasons to go to a card shop...

Thanks

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
asortment of unopened boxes - different years , lots of displayed cards maybe by team . consignment cards from your better customers? large table for opening packs . NO SMOKING

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Great staff

That is huge in my book. Just because im in a store doesn't mean that im looking to buy something. Just because i ask to see a stack of singles doesn't mean im looking to rip you off.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
ThoseBackPages said:
Great staff

That is huge in my book. Just because im in a store doesn't mean that im looking to buy something. Just because i ask to see a stack of singles doesn't mean im looking to rip you off.
+1 on staff

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
Assortment of wax, and a assortment of prices for wax like 40-60-80-100. I hate when I go into a shop looking to bust something cheap and all they have are 90 boxes.

A table set up to bust wax.

Dont sell stupid **** like t-shirts/stickers/license plate frames/bobble heads/mcfarlanes.

Oh and dont be cheap with the A/C

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
This is what I want to do,
I want to make it fun to come to my store.
I want to have pack wars, group breaks, live auctions, consignments.
There will absolutely be No Smoking since that is the law in Florida.. I cannot stand the smoke.. Hoping the smokers leave the cigarette small outside :lol:
I want to set up an area for box & pack ripper, maybe a couch and table..
I also will have a TV with MLB channel on all the time...
Lots of singles to go through...

anything else??

jeff152380

Feb 23, 2010
Vermont
The best thing for a card shop is a owner or staff that knows the market and is active int he market...
Keep a good relationship with the customers. (help find them cards they are looking for)
No Seaching packs
Trade Days (have a day where everyone can come in and make trades with eachother)
dont presell all the good products.. at least give the regulars a chance

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Knowledgeable staff. I want someone who will strike up a conversation, but doesn't make me feel like they're trying to sell me a '92 Geo Metro for $5K.

And singles. Not only of Jeter, AP, Crosby & Kobe, but of various guys or team'd out. I can look through singles all day ...

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
jeff152380 said:
The best thing for a card shop is a owner or staff that knows the market and is active int he market...
Keep a good relationship with the customers. (help find them cards they are looking for)
No Seaching packs
Trade Days (have a day where everyone can come in and make trades with each other)
dont presell all the good products.. at least give the regulars a chance
I would set my work station up where I can still talk to customers while working, I do that now with the telephone..I'm working and chatting with people on the speaker phone.

aminors said:
Contests/trade night/raffles etc. Incentives would be sweet, but my card shop sucks.

I want to do something like this...
Every time you come to the store, you get a entry into a raffle and if you buy something you get another entry into the raffle... then give a prize away whether its monthly or every few months.

55_marlins_sp said:
Knowledgeable staff. I want someone who will strike up a conversation, but doesn't make me feel like they're trying to sell me a '92 Geo Metro for $5K.

And singles. Not only of Jeter, AP, Crosby & Kobe, but of various guys or team'd out. I can look through singles all day ...

This is what I want to do the most...Have boxes of cards sorted by teams for people who like that, and especially in Florida, we have people coming down from all over so I could set up a box for each team like I used to do at card shows.
Also want to have lots of 25¢ cards boxes set up for customers to go through...

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
ThoseBackPages said:
Great staff

The guy behing the counter is extremely important. I go to Atlanta Sports Cards and the guy that works there is to busy opening wax for himself or checking his ebay auctions to care about the customer. I have actually been in there looking at cards when another customer walks in, is looking around and dude behind the counter does not even say hi. If I owned ATL that guy would not work there long and can't quite figure out how he has worked there for years.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
to me, it is about wax selection. If you are going to pump up the price on "hot" products, then be ready to lower the price of wax that no one is buying. Has to work both ways.....

Good luck!

skrip

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Erich said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Great staff

The guy behing the counter is extremely important. I go to Atlanta Sports Cards and the guy that works there is to busy opening wax for himself or checking his ebay auctions to care about the customer. I have actually been in there looking at cards when another customer walks in, is looking around and dude behind the counter does not even say hi. If I owned ATL that guy would not work there long and can't quite figure out how he has worked there for years.

hahaha this is my exact experience there.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Rip girls with no cameras, and no Mr. Topps.

A private room in the back for high rollers and whales, with a hostess serving drinks and a big screen tv and a poker table to pack war on.

Internet access.

Private phone lines to Topps, Upper Deck, and Panini.

Cases of everything, ie , a warehouse behind the shop.

No Magic players with their Magic decks and their Magical BO.

Plenty of Cash in the cash register/vault behind the counter.

Competitive prices.

Oh, and those team bags that fit ultra pro magnetic holders perfectly (seal king brand).

bigmick33

Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta
Please dont have single card at Beckett price like the card shop in my area (Atlanta/Kennesaw...if you live here you know which shop). And then the shop owner getting weirded out on you for trying to haggle a decent deal. Just because beckett says a card books $100 doesnt mean it MUST sell for $100...and then dont whisper $95 to me and say thats the best you can do!!!

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Where in Florida? I am in Melbourne. Only one place in town now. You need what most people said, lots of different products, good selection of singles, but most important I think is you want it a place people will want to hang out in. The place I went to all the time in NY had trade night, pack wars & 2 cases where customers were able to sell THEIR cards....pretty cool. That guy had a great following, because it was like a bar for card collectors. Also, maybe try to start a monthly or bi-monthly show - none of them down here either. Gotta go down to almost Miami for an only fair show.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Love drop zone boards. Where each week you lower prices on cards $5, just never know who else may be eyeing cards are when to make a move. Keeps people coming in every week to check it.

Members online

Latest posts