Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you like to see in a card shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In my store I have something for everybody at every budget.
From 3 for $1 packs to 100 dollar triple threads and everything in between.
$10 old wax bxs to bowman sterling bxs.

Thousands of dollar cards, hundreds of gu/auto cards, hot prospects & thousands of yankees cards.

In other words, no one can walk in here & not buy something due to a budget.

Thats what I loved as a collector before I opened my store in 1998.

As to the last post above, I have a table in the back (not secluded) where people open packs & bxs. They also open on the back counters, very few of my guys DON'T like sharing their finds.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I wouldn't mind a secluded VIP area to open my wax, but I'm also an introvert and don't like to be bothered. So take that for whatever it's worth.

JakeTheSnake16

Nov 28, 2009
Sun Devil Country
Casebusters said:
jeff152380 said:
The best thing for a card shop is a owner or staff that knows the market and is active int he market...
Keep a good relationship with the customers. (help find them cards they are looking for)
No Seaching packs
Trade Days (have a day where everyone can come in and make trades with each other)
dont presell all the good products.. at least give the regulars a chance
I would set my work station up where I can still talk to customers while working, I do that now with the telephone..I'm working and chatting with people on the speaker phone.

aminors said:
Contests/trade night/raffles etc. Incentives would be sweet, but my card shop sucks.

I want to do something like this...
Every time you come to the store, you get a entry into a raffle and if you buy something you get another entry into the raffle... then give a prize away whether its monthly or every few months.

55_marlins_sp said:
Knowledgeable staff. I want someone who will strike up a conversation, but doesn't make me feel like they're trying to sell me a '92 Geo Metro for $5K.

And singles. Not only of Jeter, AP, Crosby & Kobe, but of various guys or team'd out. I can look through singles all day ...

This is what I want to do the most...Have boxes of cards sorted by teams for people who like that, and especially in Florida, we have people coming down from all over so I could set up a box for each team like I used to do at card shows.
Also want to have lots of 25¢ cards boxes set up for customers to go through...

This is why I go to the LCS in Tempe. They usually lower the prices of commons when you reach 100, 200 commons or something. Organizing the 25¢ boxes would help customers greatly. At the LCS they are sort of organized by year. It would be nice if they had the time to organize by team and player. The only problem of my LCS is that they specialize in "gaming." It seems like they have tournaments for Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic, or Pokemon every night for the local high school students.

I also like to see card stores with $1 to $5 boxes sorted by player.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
My first thought is to lay off ebay. I hate coming into a store and be told how much wax was opened and all the hits the store bought or got itself and when asked to see the cards told they are all on ebay.

I know it's hard but it would be nice to be able to go to a lcs and get the hotter cards and not have to always use ebay.

I know lots of dealers that treat the store like a pawn shop and wait for collections to come in and flip on ebay.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Paul! When are you opening up? I've been waiting for you to make the move bro! Do it now man!

Warren ;-)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
morgoth said:
My first thought is to lay off ebay. I hate coming into a store and be told how much wax was opened and all the hits the store bought or got itself and when asked to see the cards told they are all on ebay.

I know it's hard but it would be nice to be able to go to a lcs and get the hotter cards and not have to always use ebay.

I know lots of dealers that treat the store like a pawn shop and wait for collections to come in and flip on ebay.

Unfortunately this isn't something that most shop owners can realistically do. If you hold back too many cards you start having cash flow problems. The singles do not sell quick enough in stores. I would guess that 10% of the people who come in my store are looking for singles. The rest of them want wax.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
cgilmo said:
morgoth said:

Unfortunately this isn't something that most shop owners can realistically do. If you hold back too many cards you start having cash flow problems. The singles do not sell quick enough in stores. I would guess that 10% of the people who come in my store are looking for singles. The rest of them want wax.

Do you sell memorabilia Chris?

Members online

Latest posts