Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Trip Down Memory Lane: 1999 Skybox Thunder Dial 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Let me take you back to the fall of 1999, McGwire/Sosa fever had swept across the country and they were putting on an incredible summer-long showcase of power for the second season in a row. As a 10-year-old baseball maniac, what could be better than watching your favorite player (Sosa) and one of your other favorite players (McGwire) blasting homers seemingly every night? Looking back, it certainly disappoints most of the baseball fandom to know that this was done with Performance Enhancing Drugs, but regardless of how it was done, there couldn't have been a more exciting time in sports over the last few decades.

I remember riding bikes with my older brother down to the local card shop every week on allowance day to grab as many packs of our favorite product, Skybox Thunder, as I could afford with my $5 allowance plus whatever change I'd scraped up that week. The inserts rocked. I had collected my whole life, but those shiny 90s inserts were some of my all-time favorite cards. The back of the packs showed the 1:300 odds of pulling one of the rare "Dial 1" Inserts, although I could only hope I'd be so lucky one day.

And then I WAS so lucky one day. An unfamiliar black card with rounded corners came from one of those packs and changed the way I looked at cards. I had not only pulled a "Dial 1" insert, but I had pulled a Mark McGwire "Dial 1" insert, valued by Beckett at $120 at the time. A massive pull for a 10-year-old who idolized baseball's most prolific power hitters. It got me excited about the value of cards, even though I never would have (and still haven't) sold the card.

Dial1McGwire-1.jpg

Fast forward to the beginning of this year, I set out to complete the set and began looking for the other 9 cards. It took me about 7 months to find them all, but they are finally together. Eventually I plan to frame and display them in my home. The set took about $65 total to complete, just over half the original value my McGwire once held. To me, the set is far more valuable and will forever serve as a reminder of the summer that truly ignited my baseball card passion.

2012-08-06103450.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Ah those were the days (for baseball
and the hobby) I remember that set well, fun pickup.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Cool story, I have similar fascination with 1997 Topps Finest Gold (not refs just golds) as I tried for the whole set and failed on my college budget. The 1998 Donruss Preferred regular set and precious metals are two sets I also coveted much as a kid.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Awesome story Ryan. Glad you were able to pick up the entire set! I've thought about putting together some insert sets from my childhood days that really aren't worth much but bring back memories (the Stadium Club Pure Gold set from 1997 for one. I pulled the Griffey out of a pack and thought I won the lottery and I still have it to this day). It's the only one I have, so I'll have to look into the checklist and see if I can make a run at it. :D

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I pulled an A-Rod out of a pack I grabbed for $1.19 a few summers ago, always amazing how many of these then-scarce inserts are still sitting around in packs, waiting to be dug up. Too bad no one is making cards that look like modern cell phones, that we can all laugh 10 years down the line like we can at these primitive bricks!

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I pulled an A-Rod out of a pack I grabbed for $1.19 a few summers ago, always amazing how many of these then-scarce inserts are still sitting around in packs, waiting to be dug up. Too bad no one is making cards that look like modern cell phones, that we can all laugh 10 years down the line like we can at these primitive bricks!

great story...love to get nostalgic about my collection as well. Last year I purchased 2 boxes of 1990-91 UD Basketball cards in search of the Larry Johnson rookie that I tried so hard to pull as a kid.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
That's awesome! I just busted 2 boxes of 99 Thunder today, around 20 minutes ago. I hit a Super Rave and a Regular Rave and tons of other inserts. Did not get a Dial 1 though.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I got a box about 4 years ago and also pulled the big Mac dial 1. Really cool card. Gotta love these cards. But dude... You were 10 in 98? Man I feel old.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I remember pulling a 97 Finest Die-Cut Embossed Rare Refractor of John Smoltz when I was probably twelve or thirteen. Man that card was sweet. I still remember the BV being high. Then about ten years later I bought a 6-box case of 1997 Finest and I pulled the same exact card. It filled me with joy. Very few of my hobby moments will ever top that.

smoltzrareref.jpg

Last edited:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
^Awesome story.

It's great to hear about everyone's moments like this. They really remind you of why you're a part of this hobby in the first place.

Members online