Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

After 5 years I met the guy I mainly collect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
:D

Well after many rumors and speculation. Jorge Cantu finally arrived to Hermosillo to play for the Orange Growers (Naranjeros) for the 2nd half of the Mexican Pacific League (winter league). He was already with the team when I got back home for vacation.
I didn't really know what to expect from him, but I started with showing him my collection of him and my Beckett article and turned out to be a really nice guy. Then I gave him some extras for himself.
Over the series played in home (I didn't give him everything at once) I got the next items :D

ROMLB
96JorgeCantu.jpg

2006 WBC ROMLB
2006WBCMexico4-1.jpg

2009 WBC ROMLB
2009WBCMexico6.jpg

8X10
JorgeCantu8X10.jpg

ESPN the Magazine (Latin America)
JorgeCantuMagazine.jpg

Mexican Baseball Magazine
JorgeCantuPB.jpg

Another one
JorgeCantuyRubenRiveraPB.jpg

2006 Topps Turkey Red Cabinet
JorgeCantuCabinetauto.jpg

JorgeCantu-1.jpg

and need to take a picture of a 16X20 I got yesterday with the Hermosillo uniform.

He teared the league with a .996 OPS, 9 HRs and .315 AVG in 26 games and has returned to playing 3B.
At age 29 I think he still has a shot to play MLB next year on a minor league deal, so if he returns I don't think I'll see him again here so I took the most out his presence in the league (first time in 5 years that he has played in Mexico).

Just wanted to share this great moment of my winter vacations! :D

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Good to see that you had a great experience with your player.. always nice when they are actually half way decent. awesome haul too!

agentjak

Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
Got to agree, always so cool to meet and greet and better yet, have a fantastic experience with your favorite ballplayer..Congrats on some sweet cards..Love it!!

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Arturo- That's awesome. Many people never get the chance to meet the player that they follow. Besides Heredia you will need to keep an eye out for Roberto Osuna. He's from Sinaloa and he player a short time with my home town team. I'm pretty sure he will start this season in the GCL.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
Awesome stuff dude! I got to watch him take BP at the Dome a few years ago when he first came up. Ridiculous power. I've always liked him.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Thanks for all your kind comments guys! :D

aarne13 said:
Arturo- That's awesome. Many people never get the chance to meet the player that they follow. Besides Heredia you will need to keep an eye out for Roberto Osuna. He's from Sinaloa and he player a short time with my home town team. I'm pretty sure he will start this season in the GCL.

Thanks! I've heard about Osuna, specially because he made his debut in the Mexican League at age 16. Are you from Mexico?

But I worry a little about him, something happened (injury, attitude issue, etc.). He was supposed to sign for more or at least the same money as Heredia, but in the end, he signed some time after he was eligible (Heredia signed as soon as he became eligible) and for way less money than Heredia and other players from this years crop. I can't wait for his professional debut next season.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Seiya said:
Awesome haul man! Was his girfriend there? She's gorgeous

She's been in Hermosillo for about two weeks. I haven't met her but I've seen her from a distance in the stadium and at the stadium's screen.

cynthia-urias-350x250_1.jpg

(There are tons of pics on the web that I don't think are suitable for the boards, hehe).

tramers said:
R2 ; Aarnie is from the OTHER border [Canada] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I read quickly and saw "played", so I guesed he was referring to the Mexico City Red Devils. Now I assume he was referring he belongs to the Blue Jays organization. My bad :oops:

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
r2d2 said:

aarne13 said:

Thanks! I've heard about Osuna, specially because he made his debut in the Mexican League at age 16. Are you from Mexico?

But I worry a little about him, something happened (injury, attitude issue, etc.). He was supposed to sign for more or at least the same money as Heredia, but in the end, he signed some time after he was eligible (Heredia signed as soon as he became eligible) and for way less money than Heredia and other players from this years crop. I can't wait for his professional debut next season.

Osuna had some legal issues to work out before he was able to sign. I think there were some contract issues between his Mexican league team and MLB.
I'm originally from DF but grew up in Canada.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
aarne13 said:
r2d2 said:

aarne13 said:

Osuna had some legal issues to work out before he was able to sign. I think there were some contract issues between his Mexican league team and MLB.
I'm originally from DF but grew up in Canada.

Oh, so I wasn't so erred when I asked.
Maybe the Mexico City Red Devils were asking more than the Jays were willing to pay. Those greedy men take about 75% of the sell, wouldn't surprise me if they tried to get Toronto to overpay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts