Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Albert Pujols 2022 Topps Autographs (Am I just being paranoid?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Landing a Pujols auto in a Dodger uniform was a big goal of mine when I heard they signed him. I flat out don't like to drop big $ on active players, because most of them drop in value over time. Clearly Pujols will go down as one of the greatest hitters of all time though. I ended up buying not one, but 2 Panini cards. However, my goal was to get an actual licensed card. When the Heritage cards started showing up, I was excited...until I saw the ending prices!

However, something stands out on these and some of his other autographs. He either has a couple signing styles or something is fishy. Check out these certified autos and tell me what you think.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpg

I ended up showing 3 examples of the pointed "A", but there seems to be so many more of that type. I question why someone would sign with a rounded "A" in some signatures, and a pointed "A" in others. The rounded A signature looks very deliberate and almost child-like, where as the pointed signatures look hurried. The 72 Heritage is last year, where the 73 is this tear. The rookie era signature is also pointed. I'd like to trust that a certified auto is legit, but there have been issues in the past.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There are several differences I'd call significant. In addition to the shape of the A, there is the presence of the 'u,' a letter that really doesn't show up in his sig.

But 22 Heritage also has the big, round A, like this one
s-l500.jpg

Going way back to 2002, there were differences even then.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l500.jpg

I know my own signature varies a lot from day to day, but I have terrible penmanship and these days I only sign my name once a month or so. I'm not a big autograph guy, but I haven't heard of Pujols using ghost signers or anything like that. Seems odd that a guy who signs as much as he does would vary so much, but that's what it looks like. Looking at an ebay search for 'pujols autograph,' it does look like he's been consistently inconsistent throughout his career with 2 kinds of signature. There's the big rounded 'A' one that shows closer to a full last name, and there's the pointy 'A Pjs' one. And there's some combination of the two.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The only concern I have with a certified Topps card is the possibility of a counterfeit, which has happened before. I need to land one of the cheapo Heritage autos to have something to match.

There is a lot of similarities in the P and S in his last name between the copy posted by me and the one by you, both from the same set. I am probably just being a little paranoid, given the price these are going for. That said, see my Dodger P/U thread....

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I've gotten him a couple of times in-person at a paid signing within the past 5 years. Those situations are usually when you get the best autographs from players, and mine are the rounded A version. Look at Randy Johnson for example. His in-person signature at the ballpark or out and about is scribbles and nothing resembling his paid autographs or certified card autographs for card manufacturers. I don't think it's very practical to compare someone's signature from 20 years ago to present day and expect them to be the same....athlete or not. My personal opinion is that all of those are real and the curved A is his present day autograph. It could be (and probably is) something so simple that he just had more time when he sat down to sign last years heritage cards vs. this years cards.

Albert Pujols ball.JPGIMG_3243.jpg

Last edited:

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
I have 18 Pujols signatures on cards, baseballs, and game used batting gloves from his foundation. Someone above said "consistently inconsistent" and that would be my description as well. His signature has definitely evolved over the years, but sometimes his signature reverts back to previous characteristics when it is hurried. Rookie year signatures are very slanted with a pointed "A". In 2002 he lost the slant but the "A" started evolving to a little more rounded. In the early to mid 2000's the "A" became more rounded at the top. As time goes on you will see an extremely hurried and scribbled signature (which I have a couple). You will also see him revert back to slanting and a pointed "A" every once in a while.

Here are a few of mine that I can post quickly without having to dig or take pictures...

005-2001-Topps-Trade-Pujols-Signed-JSA.jpg

Notice the difference on these two 2010 Topps. The first one is typical where he takes his time. The second one is hurried.

Cardinals-Autographs-886.jpg

Cardinals_Autographs_716.jpg

Cardinals-Autographs-879.jpg

Cardinals_Autographs_677.jpg

This one is an early career signature from 2001 or 2002. It got smudged at the bottom of the "J".

Cardinals_Autographs_545.jpg

Here is a 2002-2003 style signature.

Cardinals_Autographs_495.jpg

And....no....the G A I authentication doesn't bother me. This one is good.

Cardinals_Autographs_494.jpg

Here is another very hurried one.

Cardinals_Autographs_473.jpg

Cardinals_Autographs_420.jpg

Cardinals_Autographs_363.jpg

Sorry for the Bob Gibson....that's the way I scanned these years ago. The 2002 on the left is JSA certified and is from around 2002.. The 2011 card is obviously a much later signature and he took his time.

Cardinals_Autographs_330.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I'll play. Here are my two Pujols IP autos that I got in 2002 in Montreal. I got the ball first, (which I have since gotten authenticated by Beckett) and couldn't move away, so I dug out a card and somehow got it signed as well. The card might not pass an authentication because of how it looks, but it is the real deal!

Pujols.jpg

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
I'll play. Here are my two Pujols IP autos that I got in 2002 in Montreal. I got the ball first, (which I have since gotten authenticated by Beckett) and couldn't move away, so I dug out a card and somehow got it signed as well. The card might not pass an authentication because of how it looks, but it is the real deal!

View attachment 341755
The ball is a perfect example of what I said. 2002 - pointed "A".

Members online

No members online now.