Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Allen & Ginter Crypto card - What do I not know here? Is there a catch or has everyone officially gone insane?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Why are these selling for so much? Are these tradable for a fraction of a bitcoin? These are some average prices, but I saw many much higher and graded cards commanding ridiculous prices. This isn't another 90F Uribe is it?

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.23.58 PM.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A few months ago I listed mine for a $175 BIN and allowed offers. Had it sold for the list price within an hour.
Not quite as good as yours, but way back in the early days of ebay, I listed some Cardtoons cards. this was a mostly forgotten parody set from 1994 or so. One card that got crazy action was Ernie Banks, Mr. Club. It sold for $25! Two bidders were fighting over it and I offered runner up the same card (I had purchased several boxes of this stuff) for $25 and they bit! $50 for (2) $0.25 cards! that was a good day.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Most try to be supportive and positive about the hobby. We are all participating for our own reasons. Most other collectors would look at something unique another collector is buying and think they'd never spend anywhere near that for anything in their collection or perhaps only for a select player.

It's hard to look at something like this though and not think the buyers are absolutely stupid and/or just following blindly, like people often do. If this card is a regular issue that can easily be pulled from a pack, that supports this thinking, even though we also think, "to each their own". If it is an insert or short print card or a variation, then there is a little more common sense reasoning behind a higher price, but still something to look at and scratch your head about. Anyone buying this card, feel free to bash me for anything I buy and what I pay it, but I just can't accept the reasonable fact that anyone is willing to pay that much for what amounts to a common card.

I do not remember the Egg card, but would love to know what people were spending at the time, because if it was anything much more than a buck or two, you were a complete moron (unless you flipped it and got out)! Here are two recent ebay sales.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 2.57.54 PM.png

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Most try to be supportive and positive about the hobby. We are all participating for our own reasons. Most other collectors would look at something unique another collector is buying and think they'd never spend anywhere near that for anything in their collection or perhaps only for a select player.

It's hard to look at something like this though and not think the buyers are absolutely stupid and/or just following blindly, like people often do. If this card is a regular issue that can easily be pulled from a pack, that supports this thinking, even though we also think, "to each their own". If it is an insert or short print card or a variation, then there is a little more common sense reasoning behind a higher price, but still something to look at and scratch your head about. Anyone buying this card, feel free to bash me for anything I buy and what I pay it, but I just can't accept the reasonable fact that anyone is willing to pay that much for what amounts to a common card.

I do not remember the Egg card, but would love to know what people were spending at the time, because if it was anything much more than a buck or two, you were a complete moron (unless you flipped it and got out)! Here are two recent ebay sales.

View attachment 332119
Eggs peaked around $80 if I remember right. I didn't open nearly as much 2019 Ginter as did 2018 so I didn't follow it as closely. i did sell 20+ Cryptocurrency cards anywhere from $80-150 depending on where on the curve I realized they were going back up. It's a base card. It's not a SP. There's no reason other than hyped demand that it should be $150 but I happily took the money to spend on other things.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The Crypto card is not something I can get into, but this A&G Anthony Bourdain auto sold for $2000. It was a BIN, and the only copy sold lately, so no telling what it might go for at auction, higher or lower. A&G has some serious devotees and the non-sports cards have huge crossover appeal, but I coughed up when I saw it.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
The Crypto card is not something I can get into, but this A&G Anthony Bourdain auto sold for $2000. It was a BIN, and the only copy sold lately, so no telling what it might go for at auction, higher or lower. A&G has some serious devotees and the non-sports cards have huge crossover appeal, but I coughed up when I saw it.

They were higher than that the week after he passed. I missed one the week before he passed for less than $100 and finally got my copy about a year after he passed for $250. They went crazy again during COVID and have mostly stayed there.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I recall that Topps Now Fauchi card going bonkers. I wonder if there are any regrets from those paying insane $ for one now?

abdlgafar

Jan 10, 2024
USA
The world of collectibles, especially crypto-related ones, can be quite intriguing. It's all about the intersection of digital and physical assets, which adds a unique dimension.
As for the high prices, it's partly driven by the scarcity and desirability of these cards, similar to how rare baseball cards can command hefty sums. And yes, some collectors are open to trading them for fractions of Bitcoin because, well, it's a way to merge two passions.
If you're deep into it, using a cryptomixer can ensure your transactions remain secure and private.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts