Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I the only one who absolutely DESPISES non-liscensed baseball cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Just seen the Prizm article on the main page, and what a HORRIBLE looking card.

I just HATE cards without team logos.

I've hated them from the time I was a kid with the cereal cards or whatever. Always thought it was lame.

I hate that Topps is the only game in town with a monopoly on the hobby. There is no alternative. Leaf, Panini, Upper Deck, even if the design is decent, having no logos literally kills the entire product for me.

Any people like minded?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm not a huge fan either..... I'm more upset to your second point which is that Topps has a monopoly in the hobby :x

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not a fan of air-brushing...however the 2012 National Treasures set is one of my all-time favorites with the cropped portrait style photos.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I don't like them, but if I have a PC player in a set, I do grab them. So far I've been lucky and only had to grab 2 autos from 2012-13 Prizm. The one thing I hate about Prizm is that they are calling it a 2012 set, but they have some guys listed on their 2013 teams

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Prizm is terribly designed. I know they're 'handcuffed' without having a license, but some pics are just so brutal.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Picked up a couple of Prizm Aokis. Can't get his autos anywhere else at the moment but I think they are the first logoless cards I've ever purchased (minus the 80s cereal box junk stuff). So yeah, definitely not a fan otherwise

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I would never consider buying them, no matter what brand, even if it was a PC guy, auto or not. 100% not interested.

Topps shouldn't be the only game in town.

I really miss DLP. And a lot of the UD product. Hated Leaf at first sight, and Panini just looks like generic garbage. I just don't see the point of putting all this money into a half-assed product.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
As much as I dislike the fact that they don't have logos, I almost dislike the wording on them (Treasures / Prizm) even more. Longoria cards say either Tampa Bay Baseball or Tampa Bay Baseball Club, and Prizm uses Tampa Bay Baseball Club. Can they not just list it as Tampa Bay and omit "baseball" and/or "club"? It just screams "hey, don't forget you're looking at a logoless card". While ultimately that would probably not change my mind about buying either product (I do have some Treasures, don't have any Prizm **except for Aoki auto for same reason mentioned in previous post**), that is just one more reason not to.

Last edited:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Prizm is absolutely a 2013 product and with Panini labeling it as 2012 is total comedy.

As mentioned...guys who were off-season acquisitions after the 2012 season are shown with their 2013 team.

Josh Hamilton listed with LAA...come on Panini. And while they're at it...maybe they can learn how to correctly do a 'work in turn' when it comes to correctly printing a vertical back with a horizontal front.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I really enjoyed the 2011 panini limited release even without the logos. I liked the gamers GU gloves and hats as well as the hard hat batting helmet relics. It seems like topps has no desire for innovation, just rolling out the same old crap or ultra high-end stuff. Though it would have been better with logos.

For the sake of some originality i wish someone else would get a license. I think that's why 90s inserts were so great, all the companies were pushing each other.

Dan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't like unlicensed cards and don't buy them because they're ugly and I'm a collector who actually cares what my cards look like.

However, many collectors wrongfully blame companies like Leaf and Panini, like the companies choose not to use logos.
Don't blame the companies, blame MLB for giving Topps a monopoly.

Members online

Latest posts