Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I the only one who loves "old" prospects ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
I just picked up a lot of 60 2007 Bowman Chrome Jeff Baisley for $15 shipped. Why? Cause he is having a great year so far in AAA. With a line of .384, 9HR, 2 3B, 8 2B and 31 RBI. Granted he is 28yrs old if he was to get the call and showed that pop in the majors base chromes could easily be .50 or a dollar. Matt Curry is another guy, he is going to be 23 soon but went to TCU. With a line of .378, 5HR, 3 3B, 9 2B, 24 RBi and a 19BB /17 K's rate in A ball. /year after year I find myself liking prospects who are old for their level or AAAA players, does this happen to anyone else ?

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
I dont mind 22-24 year old prospects that are only 1-2 years out of college. But 28 just doesnt do it for me.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
XdanX said:
I just picked up a lot of 60 2007 Bowman Chrome Jeff Baisley for $15 shipped. Why? Cause he is having a great year so far in AAA. With a line of .384, 9HR, 2 3B, 8 2B and 31 RBI. Granted he is 28yrs old if he was to get the call and showed that pop in the majors base chromes could easily be .50 or a dollar. Matt Curry is another guy, he is going to be 23 soon but went to TCU. With a line of .378, 5HR, 3 3B, 9 2B, 24 RBi and a 19BB /17 K's rate in A ball. /year after year I find myself liking prospects who are old for their level or AAAA players, does this happen to anyone else ?
No....if either of those 2 hit it big A. the window to profit will be tiny and B. I don't think there are 60 people who would even want one at $1 or even less a pop.

As cheap as it is....its still risky. The only way I could see it paying out at a point that matters is if the prospect was a local guy or played for the local team.

If you're collecting them tho....good for you!

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
As far as I'm concerned, age is completely unimportant if a player gets called to the Majors and performs.

We see examples of it every year where a player makes a small adjustment late in their Minor League careers and go from career AAAA player to Rookie of the Year candidate, and their baseball cards respond.

t3dudek said:
I dont mind 22-24 year old prospects that are only 1-2 years out of college. But 28 just doesnt do it for me.

David Freese, Nelson Cruz, Kila Kaaihue, Brennan Boesch, Ryan Howard--All examples off the top of my head of guys older than 24 who made big splashes. It's generally smarter to go with younger players, but when certain players are extremely cheap, it just doesn't matter how old they are. Performing at the MLB level trumps age every time.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Jose Bautista is a different example. Quite old, finally started kicking (_*_) at age 29 last year after 4 years of meh. He is a rare case, but you never know if someone will make it and seemingly worthless cards can be worth something. And people are into Sam Fuld now, who turns 30 in November, after not much of a career and relative obscurity.

Basically, if anything happens with the guy, sell it off in 6 lots of 10 at even $5/lot, double your money.

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
Gracecollector- That was on the other day! I do love that flick.

Its not exactly what im "into" but for 15 bucks its not a huge gamble. Even if he makes a couple "me among boys" or some hot sheet attention might make them a quarter. Even this thread might make 1 more person pay attention to him.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Been making money on old prospects since 97 chrome. If they come up and make a splash there cards will see a jump. Maybe a little maybe alot but jump they will.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
Sure, every year we see some guy come up and play well for a month or so, but the name of the game is hype. Without it, you'll never make your money back. And in this case we're talking turning $15 into $30 (minus shipping costs and FleaBay fees, so more like $15 into $25 or less). You can make that much on a hyped up prospect just by timing call-ups and haggling with sellers/buyers on BIN prices.

The real problem w/ "old" prospects is they usually don't have the capacity to take their game up a notch and succeed long term at the next level. For every Ryan Howard or Jose Bautista, there's 100+ AAAA that will never amount to anything. So, let's say you buy $15 worth of cards for 100 "old" prospects, you would have to have a 50% success rate to break even, but odds are you'll make money on 5-10 of them IF you sell at the right time and IF prices go high enough to beat fees and shipping costs. In my mind, these types of "investments" are ill-advised. You'd be better off buying the top 10 prospects in November, and double your money in February right before Spring Training.

Casebreaker

Aug 11, 2010
Short term yes you can make a few dollars off it but long term they do not hold value unless you have a career like ichiro who started at 27.

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
After reading all the posts I propose this. Why is it better to buy a player who is 17-20 years old who are "loaded with potential" "have amazing tools" with equal opportunity to flop. Sure for every 20 yr old who blasts through the minors and wins the ROY there is a F-Mart, Mo Bruce, Ryan Anderson, Bryan Bullington and I can go on with those names till next christmas.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
shakedown420 said:
If you are 28 years old, you are no longer a prospect but a AAAA player

Depends what one hopes a prospect will accomplish...most people hope a prospect becomes a first-ballot HOFer and their prices reflect that potential. Of course most prospects are lucky to get to even be a AAAA player!

pros·pect noun/?präs?pekt/?
prospects, plural
1.The possibility or likelihood of some future event occurring
- training that offered a prospect of continuous employment
2.A mental picture of a future or anticipated event
3.Chances or opportunities for success or wealth
- the poor prospects for the steel industry
4.A person regarded as a potential customer or subscriber to something
- clients deemed likely prospects for active party membership
5.A person regarded as likely to succeed, esp. in a sporting event
- a great young pitching prospect

Members online