Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else not interested in Razor at all?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Warren of Oz said:
As a cardshop owner for some 20 years I have always taken a stance against inlicensed card issues. My primary issue with them is that they never seem to hold any value. I'm going back a few decades to things like Classic & Signature Rookies etc. I only sell licensed card issues in my shop. No Press Pass, no Sage & no Razor. I think the hobby as a whole will determine the future of the Razor line.

I haven't searched online to see how the singles are doing pricewise because of the Holiday rush going on. Have the big names been yeilding the big bucks? Let's face it, if the return is scant the future will be bleak. Any big sales reported?

Happy Holidays Everyone!

But as a card shop owner why would you limit what you sell? I honestly don't understand your stance at all. If this was 1988 and the MLB was giving out licenses again how vastly different would everyone's opinion of Razor be if their players had the logo of the team they were drafted by on them? I have both the Wieters EEE and the Wieters from Razor, and for my own PC I think I will keep the Razor one and if I ever sell or trade one it would be the EEE. I just don't like the EEE design. I love Donruss products, if his EEE looked like threads then I would have to debate some, but the on card aspect vs EEE/Threads I think really separates the two. For Razor exclusives that are in USA it's a much closer competition. I do think the USA On Cards right now are potentially the nicest looking cards of those players. But we do not know print runs at all on those cards, so it is tough to say how strongly you can feel about them.

I like the fire that Razor lit under Topps ass. If you don't think it did, you are insane. Look at some of the people I talk to and have talked to before, it definitely got Topps motivated and gave us one of the best Bowman Products in a while.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
beefycheddar said:
I have both the Wieters EEE and the Wieters from Razor, and for my own PC I think I will keep the Razor one and if I ever sell or trade one it would be the EEE. I just don't like the EEE design. I love Donruss products, if his EEE looked like threads then I would have to debate some, but the on card aspect vs EEE/Threads I think really separates the two.

I would think that you would prefer a 2007 EEE auto issue over a 2008 Razor auto (whether or not it were on-card or not) as the EEE is "THE" auto to have as far as the hobby goes & I do not see that changing just because Razor's issue is on-card. Personally, I would actually rather have the 2005 Upperdeck USA Wieters Rc Auto over the 2008 Razor on-card as the 2005 is his first issue (& there is a auto/jersey version). I'm sure Wieters will have plenty of on-card auto's throughout his career, what makes his second year on-card auto so special (considering there are 2 other auto's from reputable company's, UD & Donruss, that are already available)?

Warren of Oz

Aug 23, 2008
beefycheddar said:
Warren of Oz said:
As a cardshop owner for some 20 years I have always taken a stance against inlicensed card issues. My primary issue with them is that they never seem to hold any value. I'm going back a few decades to things like Classic & Signature Rookies etc. I only sell licensed card issues in my shop. No Press Pass, no Sage & no Razor. I think the hobby as a whole will determine the future of the Razor line.

I haven't searched online to see how the singles are doing pricewise because of the Holiday rush going on. Have the big names been yeilding the big bucks? Let's face it, if the return is scant the future will be bleak. Any big sales reported?

Happy Holidays Everyone!

But as a card shop owner why would you limit what you sell? I honestly don't understand your stance at all. If this was 1988 and the MLB was giving out licenses again how vastly different would everyone's opinion of Razor be if their players had the logo of the team they were drafted by on them? I have both the Wieters EEE and the Wieters from Razor, and for my own PC I think I will keep the Razor one and if I ever sell or trade one it would be the EEE. I just don't like the EEE design. I love Donruss products, if his EEE looked like threads then I would have to debate some, but the on card aspect vs EEE/Threads I think really separates the two. For Razor exclusives that are in USA it's a much closer competition. I do think the USA On Cards right now are potentially the nicest looking cards of those players. But we do not know print runs at all on those cards, so it is tough to say how strongly you can feel about them.

I like the fire that Razor lit under Topps ass. If you don't think it did, you are insane. Look at some of the people I talk to and have talked to before, it definitely got Topps motivated and gave us one of the best Bowman Products in a while.

Im cool with anything that motivates the manufacturers, no doubt. Why do I limit what I sell? Licensing is more about legitimacy than logos, and I think you'll see that clearly in the market once the Razor exclusives get done by a licensed card company. I try to sell my customers cards that potentially give them bang for thier buck. The more I look at what the Razor cards are actually going for, the stronger I feel about this. If people come into my shop & buy a $100 box of Razor & then they can't get $40 for the cards they get, that looks bad on me. My customers know I only deal in legitimate, licensed hobby card product. There's plenty of good stuff out there, so why should I deal in products I don't believe in?

Weatherwarrior

Aug 7, 2008
NE Georgia
Warren of Oz said:
beefycheddar said:
[quote="Warren of Oz":2m3vp2ve]As a cardshop owner for some 20 years I have always taken a stance against inlicensed card issues. My primary issue with them is that they never seem to hold any value. I'm going back a few decades to things like Classic & Signature Rookies etc. I only sell licensed card issues in my shop. No Press Pass, no Sage & no Razor. I think the hobby as a whole will determine the future of the Razor line.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Im cool with anything that motivates the manufacturers, no doubt. Why do I limit what I sell? Licensing is more about legitimacy than logos, and I think you'll see that clearly in the market once the Razor exclusives get done by a licensed card company. I try to sell my customers cards that potentially give them bang for thier buck. The more I look at what the Razor cards are actually going for, the stronger I feel about this. If people come into my shop & buy a $100 box of Razor & then they can't get $40 for the cards they get, that looks bad on me. My customers know I only deal in legitimate, licensed hobby card product. There's plenty of good stuff out there, so why should I deal in products I don't believe in?[/quote:2m3vp2ve]

but how many people buy a 175 box of Triple threads and pull a rich hill g/u auto and a Jason Varitek G/U that combined don't get $25

See I like Draft, Chrome, EEE, and Razor
and what i think is lost is a box of razor is 90 it has 10 hits say you get 9 $5 autos and one $25 auto( based on prices right now)that is $75 on the secondary market right now those number could significantly increase during the season.

Now take a Box of draft where you get 5 hits (1st year auto, blue parallel, two ref's and an Aflac) unless you hit one of the 6 big name autos (stanton,montero,flores,posey,beckham,inoa) and one of three or four aflacs like(heyward,porcello,freeman, vitters) you don't even come close to getting your money back. Now keep in mind there are alot of guys that are actually in both sets but the difference is all of razors guys have auto's and draft has what 18 auto's if they both had the same number of auti's how many from draft would sell below $5? A good majority at least i mean look EEE had a shorter print run on auto's and since they had like a hundred auto's in that set over half can be had for $5 or less.

So from an immediate point the ROI on a box is in favor of Razor now will it be that way in a few years who knows?

But the bang for your buck thing is almost laughable because 99.9% of boxes don't provide a big enough bang for your buck.

G

Ty Hope said:
I bought a few packs of Razor today out of curiosity. I must admit they look better in person than on the sell sheet and are surprisingly fun to open. I had a pretty nice hit that I will scan later.
Yes but from what I seen they look just like Tristar.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I didn't like it until all of the autos were on card and there were no redemptions.

All around I think it is a product that will have a lot of value within the next few years.

I'd much rather have back all the money I spent on 08 chrome and have put it into 08 Razor.

I have opened 1 box. It wasn't good. It wasn't bad. It was a 50%(ish) return box. If I can open on single box at non-wholesale prices and get 50% back, I'm happy.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Sam Banks said:
Well one, I haven't been in on any of that. I have only made just a few comments on Razor overall. Main thing I can think of is saying I didn't care about that uncut sheet contest.

And two, I didn't give any kind of impression in my original post that would infer that I was trying to troll or start an argument whatsoever.

Why is it that when someone asks a question about if there are people who aren't interested in something it is trolling?

I'm not being anti-Razor. I am asking if there is anyone else around here who isn't caught up in the hype, like I am not.

From the thread Thank You UPS and RAZOR!!!!! regarding Andrew's cases you said,
Sam Banks said:
Someone should do a live webcam box break for everyone to watch.

Were you trolling in that thread since you don't care? Or are you being hypocritical now?

[email protected]

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
sportscardtheory said:
2008 Razor Signature Series baseball is not a product for 2008... it is made in 2008, but it's not really meant for anything but holding onto or stockpiling (prospecting). All these exclusives are not playing baseball right now, but trust me, when just ONE of them starts tearing it up and has only ONE possible 2008 auto, and it's ONLY in Razor Signature Series... what do you think people will be searching for and spending their money on??? Bowman Chrome Draft cards of DIFFERENT players? I don't THINK so...

I just think that Razor's exclusive contracts will make these player's MLB licensed cards that much more sought after, once they have cards produced, and then Razor will be an afterthought. If it takes time for Razor to get a foothold, then I don't think that they ever will ever be considered more than a Tristar like product. Just b/c it is the first auto's of these players, does not guarantee that in the future, it will be "the" card to get. I will reserve final judgement, when I see their next two releases, b/c I believe those will be the make or break releases.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
thenextlevel said:
sportscardtheory said:
2008 Razor Signature Series baseball is not a product for 2008... it is made in 2008, but it's not really meant for anything but holding onto or stockpiling (prospecting). All these exclusives are not playing baseball right now, but trust me, when just ONE of them starts tearing it up and has only ONE possible 2008 auto, and it's ONLY in Razor Signature Series... what do you think people will be searching for and spending their money on??? Bowman Chrome Draft cards of DIFFERENT players? I don't THINK so...

I just think that Razor's exclusive contracts will make these player's MLB licensed cards that much more sought after, once they have cards produced, and then Razor will be an afterthought. If it takes time for Razor to get a foothold, then I don't think that they ever will ever be considered more than a Tristar like product. Just b/c it is the first auto's of these players, does not guarantee that in the future, it will be "the" card to get. I will reserve final judgement, when I see their next two releases, b/c I believe those will be the make or break releases.

That part of your statement is very true, it will make the major league cards more sought after.

[email protected]

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
cgilmo said:
thenextlevel said:
sportscardtheory said:

That part of your statement is very true, it will make the major league cards more sought after.

Which may be more sought after than their "minor" league issues. Just b/c Razor got the headstart on these guys, does not guarantee that they will outsell their future issues.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
thenextlevel said:
cgilmo said:
thenextlevel said:
sportscardtheory said:

Which may be more sought after than their "minor" league issues. Just b/c Razor got the headstart on these guys, does not guarantee that they will outsell their future issues.

They don't have to.

Razor never has to outsell chrome to be a viable prospectors product. The "rules" of prospecting and collecting are blurring. Things that were the status quo years ago are evaporating. The wants of people are shifting, and a non major league company with no history that does things right could make an impact. It is my hope that razor does things right. It is also my opinion that they will continue to do things the right way and produce highly collectible cards like they just put out. The secondary market information is encouraging on the better players. Next year look for them to not sign so many players, but go after the more quality players. I expect them to learn from thier mistakes and trim down the autograph checklist next time. Also, next time they will know that they are designing an on card set, and the cards won't look like they were supposed to be traps.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
thenextlevel said:
cgilmo said:
thenextlevel said:
sportscardtheory said:

I'm not a huge prospector so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there almost as much or more money to be made buying and selling a player in the minors at the right them than at call up to the major league team? Or even at that, if Bowman or UD can't make rookie cards until the player is called up what happens when player x gets called up and hits 2 home runs in his first game? People flock to ebay to buy player x and guess which cards are the only ones available at that moment. Now once Bowman Chrome released player x that card will probably be worth more than his 08 Razor card, but in the game of prospecting there was already plenty of time to make money from the razor auto.

[email protected]

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Tomlinson21RB said:
thenextlevel said:
cgilmo said:
thenextlevel said:
sportscardtheory said:

I'm not a huge prospector so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there almost as much or more money to be made buying and selling a player in the minors at the right them than at call up to the major league team? Or even at that, if Bowman or UD can't make rookie cards until the player is called up what happens when player x gets called up and hits 2 home runs in his first game? People flock to ebay to buy player x and guess which cards are the only ones available at that moment. Now once Bowman Chrome released player x that card will probably be worth more than his 08 Razor card, but in the game of prospecting there was already plenty of time to make money from the razor auto.

We will see...I am excited to see their "chrome" product...now if that is done right, that is something I would buy a lot of.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Tomlinson21RB said:
thenextlevel said:
cgilmo said:
thenextlevel said:
sportscardtheory said:

Yep, not only that. But a lot of the time the big MLB splash is made before Topps or UD can get a card out with the RC logo. Which is what it would be at that point. Really, the only way it wouldn't be like that is if some guy was able to make the team out of spring training while not being on the roster the previous year. It's pretty rare to see.

That just made me rethink how much I hate the stupid RC logo thing. The idea is dumb. Shoot football could about do the same thing and make RC logos of Matt Cassel this year.

Warren of Oz

Aug 23, 2008
Weatherwarrior said:
[what i think is lost is a box of razor is 90 it has 10 hits say you get 9 $5 autos and one $25 auto( based on prices right now)that is $75 on the secondary market right now those number could significantly increase during the season.
quote]

Well if you think those no-name autos are fetching $5 per you should look again, they are not even selling for $1. Looks like the odds of getting a $25 auto aren't one per box either. I'd say on average people are loosing 70% of thier investment. That's why I can't sell it to my customers.

My ears would definately go up if I saw some big $ sales, but frankly I have yet to see any, have you?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Why is anyone looking at this as an investment? Yes, when I spend $100 on a box, I do expect there to be some return value, but when did this cease to be a hobby to be enjoyed? There are dozens of smarter and more lucrative investment choices out there, with almost guaranteed returns. Whatever happened to collecting? Thats what I want to know, and thats why I will never be a prospector. By the way, how are all those 07 BC Joba's doing now? One just sold for only $50, thats how.

G

chashawk said:
Why is anyone looking at this as an investment? Yes, when I spend $100 on a box, I do expect there to be some return value, but when did this cease to be a hobby to be enjoyed? There are dozens of smarter and more lucrative investment choices out there, with almost guaranteed returns. Whatever happened to collecting? Thats what I want to know, and thats why I will never be a prospector. By the way, how are all those 07 BC Joba's doing now? One just sold for only $50, thats how.

I collect baseball cards for the sheer fun and enjoyment of it. But some people are in it only to turn a profit. Which I can't really say I agree with in a lot of instances. But to each their own I guess.

I've just never understood prospecting. In the grand scheme of things, with all of the money put into it, and the rare time you can turn around and sell cards, I highly doubt you are making much of a profit really. But some people swear by it. I just don't see it being very lucrative to be honest. Not with what you have to put into it to acheive your goals years down the line. If any of that makes sense.

Latest posts