Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Approach to a trimmed card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Almost every 2004 card I have seen and many 2003's have been a hair small. Don't know if that was the peak trimming days or that is how they were made.
You'd think the grading companies would use a microscope or high-powered loup to be able to tell if a card was trimmed.
The edge of a legit card cut by Topps' printers must look different than a trimmed card under high power.
I would think PSA and BGS have sent back thousands of cards as trimmed, when in reality, they were just cut shorter.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Really? Going to beat up on a brain dead boxer who just got shot in the face?

Yea BG, don't forget the child abuser part lol. Maybe you can make a ******/Camacho dual card in your next draft set? Woohoo!

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Some collectors may not be able to afford this card under normal circumstances & would love to buy it at a discounted price knowing its trimmed. I bought a Pujols 2001 finest auto slabbed authentic knowing it was trimmed for $150 had a nice bold auto . cause I knew I didn't want to spend $500 on a one.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
allstars on FCB = Jose Canseco on twitter

At this point, just sit back and watch the tragicomedy unfold

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Even then I would be concerned that someone would buy it on the cheap and crack it out. I'm not sure at what point one can comfortably say, "I did what I can and if people are going to be crooks that's on them," and I certainly could understand someone saying that a card slabbed as trimmed is doing enough, but I'd probably quicker do something to make sure no one can get duped.

Just toss the card, then you'll be able to sleep at night. Trust me on this. Peace of mind is priceless.

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
Allstars, yes I am calling you out. I never see anything you say as constructive. I do not post alot here, but dam if our not a sour grape. The OP was asking what to do to sell it as is, not trying to pull anything on anyone. Get a grip, and get a life !!!!

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
If you really don't know what to do with it, put it up for grabs on the pay it forward card thread as a trimmed card & it's not to be resold, I'm sure somebody on here would love to have that card.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Just wondering ...
Did you pull the card or buy the card?
im glad to see you did give a refund and also glad you got the card back. Did they send the info of the the card being trimmed too? I would sent it back out to get gradded beacuse soemtimes they do screw up. DO NOT throw it away. If it is trimmed there are collectors out there who collect the player and cannot afford his auto would would love to pay next to nothing for the card even if it is trimmed. Its the auto people want not the card. Just state you sent it out (twice if you do it again) and state both times they said the card is trimmed. If this was a sweet Carlton or Howard auto card I would buy it beacuse it just goes right into my PC.

Oh and do people always fight on every post here? lol

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Just toss the card, then you'll be able to sleep at night. Trust me on this. Peace of mind is priceless.

I appreciate this post. As I'm sure you know, some of your pots come off as fairly abrasive, but at the same time I'd be thrilled to have a local shop that tossed a trimmed card to protect collectors. I am not sure though, that it needs to be thrown out. As others have mentioned there are plenty who find value (albeit considerably less than a mint copy) and if I can be confident that a transaction will not lead to issues down the line (possibly by hole-punching it) I will take the loss and move it, knowing no one else gets duped.

Just wondering ...
Did you pull the card or buy the card?
im glad to see you did give a refund and also glad you got the card back. Did they send the info of the the card being trimmed too? I would sent it back out to get gradded beacuse soemtimes they do screw up. DO NOT throw it away. If it is trimmed there are collectors out there who collect the player and cannot afford his auto would would love to pay next to nothing for the card even if it is trimmed. Its the auto people want not the card. Just state you sent it out (twice if you do it again) and state both times they said the card is trimmed. If this was a sweet Carlton or Howard auto card I would buy it beacuse it just goes right into my PC.

Oh and do people always fight on every post here? lol

He sent it back with the paper attached from BGS, so I know he was not making it up. As you mention someone has contacted me about gifting it to a kid who would PC it and could not afford it otherwise. With a concern about reselling in mind I was considering hole-punching it so that the benefit of the signed card is there, but no one could pass it off as untrimmed.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I know it's not on the same level but would you hole punch a 1952 Topps Mantle if it was trimmed? Yes the card may be trimmed but it isn't destroyed. If you are gonna hole punch it then you might as well make a custom card with it. I say get it slabbed, move it, and forget it. I think that is sufficient. Nobody would hold you accountable for anything after it has left your hands.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i can tell from your post your a nice guy who enjoys collecting. i would have it slabed as authentic and just give it aways to someone who wouldnt care if its trimmed. wish you luck in whatever makes you happy.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Have in graded by PSA. They will grade it as trimmed or not and sell it as such. Whats the big deal? The guy is being honest. Just list it as such. Some Juan cards that are rare i would love to have even trimmed just to get one. Here is a case in point. A Juan collector paid good money just to get this card and knew the condition when he was bying it. Looked like it was in someones back pocket on sat on. No one has seen another. I would love to have it.

juan_picture.php
juan_picture.php

Members online

Latest posts