Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

As a new collector, I have some questions about autographs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Back to the point about "preparing" cards for autographing, does it help to rub baby powder or a cloth on the surface before sending it for signing? I assume that's done to take some gloss off. Is it really necessary, or does a good quality marker like a Sharpie work on anything?

I once got an IP Lloyd Moseby on a 1981 Topps and the 'graph didn't come out solid due to the gloss, but I gave him a "Bic Grip" felt tip marker because I didn't have a Sharpie. I guess anything but a Sharpie isn't good enough?

So far I've had some fairly glossy cards signed and the Olerud 'graphs have been nice and bold and solid. I'm currently waiting on 2001 Upper Deck, 2005 Donruss, and 2000 Fleer Showcase, all of which are pretty typical of the current glossiness of most cards. Don't know if Olerud uses a Sharpie, but it probably helps that he doesn't seem to scribble or write fast when he signs.

TTM01.jpg
TTM02.jpg

- Rod

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
olerud363 said:
Back to the point about "preparing" cards for autographing, does it help to rub baby powder or a cloth on the surface before sending it for signing? I assume that's done to take some gloss off. Is it really necessary, or does a good quality marker like a Sharpie work on anything?

I once got an IP Lloyd Moseby on a 1981 Topps and the 'graph didn't come out solid due to the gloss, but I gave him a "Bic Grip" felt tip marker because I didn't have a Sharpie. I guess anything but a Sharpie isn't good enough?

So far I've had some fairly glossy cards signed and the Olerud 'graphs have been nice and bold and solid. I'm currently waiting on 2001 Upper Deck, 2005 Donruss, and 2000 Fleer Showcase, all of which are pretty typical of the current glossiness of most cards. Don't know if Olerud uses a Sharpie, but it probably helps that he doesn't seem to scribble or write fast when he signs.

TTM01.jpg
TTM02.jpg

- Rod

I have sent un-prepped cards and they have come back fine.

Powder soaks into the gloss and the talc helps the auto stick much better. I can vouch for that... I will have to get scans of comparisons.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
olerud363 said:

TTM01.jpg
TTM02.jpg

- Rod

I have sent un-prepped cards and they have come back fine.

Powder soaks into the gloss and the talc helps the auto stick much better. I can vouch for that... I will have to get scans of comparisons.

Its really dependent on the card. Some cards like Bowman Chrome or Topps Finest will "sponge". It almost looks like the marker tried to write on a wet surface. It will also happen on other glossy types. I don't want to personally put any baby powder on any of my cards. Like I said...I take a polo shirt or something similar and rub the card down all over. Don't do it in just one spot because it never fails that you ask them to sign in a specific place and they don't. So don't let yourself risk getting a bad auto. prep the entire card. Either way should work fine but IMO...why even use baby powder if its unnecessary?

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Mr.1989 said:
jeff550 said:
If you are really interested, and have $14.95 to spend for the year. I would highlty recomend joining http://www.sportscollectors.net. Its the best $15 you will spend

thank you. i've checked it out and now i think it's probably worth it.

Well, I'm hoping it's worth it because I just pulled the trigger on a premium membership. I was 100% TTM returns now!! :lol:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
ignition said:
Mr.1989 said:
jeff550 said:
If you are really interested, and have $14.95 to spend for the year. I would highlty recomend joining http://www.sportscollectors.net. Its the best $15 you will spend

Well, I'm hoping it's worth it because I just pulled the trigger on a premium membership. I was 100% TTM returns now!! :lol:

Just be careful, you might end up like this guy:

http://www.sportscollectors.net/blog.aspx?id=129

That is an INSANE amount of time and energy put into that... not to mention money... I would say roughly $10,000 alone in money.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
ignition said:
Mr.1989 said:
jeff550 said:

That is an INSANE amount of time and energy put into that... not to mention money... I would say roughly $10,000 alone in money.

whoa. oh yeah, umm, what does SASE stand for?

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Mr.1989 said:
TBTwinsFan said:

"SASE" stands for "Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope." In other words, you're providing them an easy way to mail the cards back to you.

I do not think I'll send more than a couple out a month... my first 3 attempts are Matt Williams, Cory Snyder, and Alan Ashby (who apparently literally lives right across the street from me in Cypress, TX!). I sent 2 or 3 cards per person, which in retrospect is probably too many considering I'm not sure what I'll do with multiple signed cards by these guys. I have so many doubles of 80's cards from my grandfather's death I don't know what else to do with them!!

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
17ROCKIES12 said:
Self Addressed Stamped Envelope

An envelope all ready to be returned to you.
ignition said:
Mr.1989 said:
TBTwinsFan said:

"SASE" stands for "Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope." In other words, you're providing them an easy way to mail the cards back to you.

I do not think I'll send more than a couple out a month... my first 3 attempts are Matt Williams, Cory Snyder, and Alan Ashby (who apparently literally lives right across the street from me in Cypress, TX!). I sent 2 or 3 cards per person, which in retrospect is probably too many considering I'm not sure what I'll do with multiple signed cards by these guys. I have so many doubles of 80's cards from my grandfather's death I don't know what else to do with them!!

Oh ok thanks.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
As a follow-up to my earlier question about prepping cards to send, after watching the YouTube video about TTM'ing I thought I'd try "signing" a few 2009 Topps Chrome cards myself with blue Sharpie and seeing what happens.

1. With no prep, the ink didn't sink in and just kind of beaded on the surface. It smudged easily, looked terrible, and I was actually able to rub the writing completely off when doing #2 (next point below, not in the bathroom ;) ).

2. With rubbing the card down with a cotton t-shirt, the writing didn't bead nearly as much and actually looked not-too-bad, but it still smudged very easily and I was again able to rub it almost completely off.

3. With rubbing the surface with baby powder and my finger, then cleaning all the residue off, the signature came out the best, and after just a few seconds was almost smudge-proof. I didn't try rubbing it too much, but just wanted to test it in a way that might simulate the player signing it and then handling it as he put it in the SASE.

My conclusion:I'm going to prep any card with gloss on the front with baby powder before it gets mailed.

And finally, I'd like to acknowledge my 2009 Topps Chrome Scott Rolen and Alex Rios cards which were sacrificed in the name of TTM'ing. RIP in my blue box. :D

- Rod

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
olerud363 said:
As a follow-up to my earlier question about prepping cards to send, after watching the YouTube video about TTM'ing I thought I'd try "signing" a few 2009 Topps Chrome cards myself with blue Sharpie and seeing what happens.

1. With no prep, the ink didn't sink in and just kind of beaded on the surface. It smudged easily, looked terrible, and I was actually able to rub the writing completely off when doing #2 (next point below, not in the bathroom ;) ).

2. With rubbing the card down with a cotton t-shirt, the writing didn't bead nearly as much and actually looked not-too-bad, but it still smudged very easily and I was again able to rub it almost completely off.

3. With rubbing the surface with baby powder and my finger, then cleaning all the residue off, the signature came out the best, and after just a few seconds was almost smudge-proof. I didn't try rubbing it too much, but just wanted to test it in a way that might simulate the player signing it and then handling it as he put it in the SASE.

My conclusion:I'm going to prep any card with gloss on the front with baby powder before it gets mailed.

And finally, I'd like to acknowledge my 2009 Topps Chrome Scott Rolen and Alex Rios cards which were sacrificed in the name of TTM'ing. RIP in my blue box. :D

- Rod

If you want them back, rubbing alcohol takes it off.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
olerud363 said:

- Rod

Thanks for the "experiment". hahaha at the "RIP".

Members online