Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

babe ruth bat (bench) pieces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
I read in some thread here about topps putting bench pieces in and trying to pass them off as bat? Does anyone know which topps product it was in? I have and a&g 2011 or 2012 and hoping it's not it?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don't remember the release but I think it was a Donruss product and specifically remember it being in a Babe Ruth bat... I might be able to find it by searching here.

Also, I don't think it was poor wording as much as it was them trying to pass it off... obviously when confronted by it they would hang their hat on poor wording. Just my two cents.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Somebody can probably recall better (and if there were more) but this details some "seat" cards from 2009 Tribute: https://blogbeckett.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/topps-details-stadium-seat-relics-offers-replacements/

Topps has confirmed that the following five memorabilia cards in the recently released2009 Tribute Baseball include pieces of stadium seat:
Babe Ruth Dual Relic — Bat/Old Yankee Stadium Seat
Babe Ruth Triple Relic — Old Yankee Stadium Seat/Uniform/Old Yankee Stadium Seat
Ty Cobb Dual Relic — Bat/Tiger Stadium Seat
Jackie Robinson Triple Relic — Ebbets Field Seat/Bat/Ebbets Field Seat
Mickey Mantle Triple Relic — Old Yankee Stadium Seat/Uniform/Old Yankee Stadium Seat
Topps will replace any of the above cards with a pack of 2009 Topps Tribute Baseball or comparable product for collectors that are not satisfied with their card(s).
In addition, every card in 2009 Topps Sterling Baseball features game-used bat and game-used uniform except for one subject — Carl Erskine, which features Erskine’s autograph with stadium seat. Topps will replace this card with a pack of 2009 Topps Sterling Baseball for collectors not satisfied with their card.
Moving forward, to ensure no confusion, stadium seat pieces will not be used as memorabilia pieces unless it’s part of a special stadium seat-specific insert.

So if they put seat pieces in 2011 products it would be doubly duplicitous, given the above quote from Topps.

A_Pharis

It was me that said something the other day. It's not that Topps is passing them off as bats, but their ambiguity does lend to the misconception.
I think one of the more recent t205 releases (or a similar product) also had bench pieces. That was revealed when copies started showing up with paint remnants.

A_Pharis

This one is in completed auctions. Some poor sap bought it from an auction labeled as "bat logo?!?!?"
image.jpg

There were many examples like this. Some people tried to say it was a label. Some say it was tar.

That's paint. Bench paint.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
The more I hear about this the more angry it makes me get. It's bad enough what the snakes are already doing to the cards out there but then deception from the company mixed with the snakes. Grrrrr

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Wasn't there something about Sterling from 2007 or so where they had a Josh Gibson bat barrel card but the "bat" cards were actually bench bits? Might be misremembering something I never fully caught in the first place.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Wasn't there something about Sterling from 2007 or so where they had a Josh Gibson bat barrel card but the "bat" cards were actually bench bits? Might be misremembering something I never fully caught in the first place.

The 2006 Topps Sterling Gibson bats were from an actual bat (still plausible that it was not a gamer but instead a pro model). It was the 2005 Bowman Sterling wood pieces of Gibson that were later known to be seat pieces.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts