Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bad Seller on going experience, Beware of this Seller!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I have a bad scenario Im currently dealing with and figured I would post here also. (Posted this in the Mt yesterday)
This is more of a warning of the seller than anything else.

I purchased this item - http://www.ebay.com/itm/231087137431?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and here is what I received -

Front

Back

Now what was in the package instead of the Winfield

Yes that's an empty Gum Box. Needless to say I am not very pleased. I have filed a "item not as described" I have been in communications with the seller and claims he packaged it up and has a witness and refutes the claim against him and now claims im a scammer and that I took the card out myself
I have never dealt with anything like this and now have to let ebay decide whether I get my money back or not. To me there is no scenario that could justify the seller accidently packing the empty gum pack instead of the Winfield. This is a blatant scam attempt by the seller and not sure if he has done this before or will do it again. If anyone has dealt with this person before please Pm me. Thanks

I have also spoken to my local post master and apparently they don't record the live weight of the item when you have to sign for it as they put it on the scale when I went to retrieve it and figured they had the live weight. The Packaged weighed 0.7oz altogether and the seller claims it weighed 3.8oz even though the package states 3oz.
I am more than likely going to put in a police report (Last resort) and have spoken to ebay several times. I believe the seller may have sold it off line (Just my speculation) so if anyone sees it posted on another site or see it pop up on a mailday somewhere else please pm me. This piece is bound to show up at some point whether its months from now or a year. Or he could still have it and will eventually list it on another account.

He also insured it. His convos have been up and down and very very defensive (And not just cause I opened a claim towards him). At one point he started to blame the post office for tampering and that he has insurance to cover it. He now has retracted that and went back to "I scammed him". Im going assume he tried to file an insurance claim and they wanted to much info and now realizes he may not win his insurance claim (Again Im not sure just my speculation).

Also his name and address are on the front of the bubble mailer. I absolutely do not want to smear anyone's name thru the mud but to me this was 100% blatant. Even after it was an obvious scam I waited for a response before posting all this. Just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this guy here.

Last edited by a moderator:

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Listing removed by eBay. I hate when they do that.

When you received it at the post office, it looked just like this, yes? I would open and show that to an employee immediately and refuse shipment. Pretty sure that's the best (maybe only) way to get the Post Office to really get the insurance money.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Listing removed by eBay. I hate when they do that.

When you received it at the post office, it looked just like this, yes? I would open and show that to an employee immediately and refuse shipment. Pretty sure that's the best (maybe only) way to get the Post Office to really get the insurance money.

I put in a new link and should work now.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Weird. His feedback is perfect. Strange that he would be playing the long con and ruin his reputation over $550. That seems so shortsighted.

Good luck, OP.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Weird. His feedback is perfect. Strange that he would be playing the long con and ruin his reputation over $550. That seems so shortsighted.

Good luck, OP.

I thought the same thing heavy, Is it really worth it? Also like I said the card is bound to pop up someday and its not a card that you can mix in with other cards as its a unique bat knob and there was only 1 from that set not multiple.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Wow that's pretty bold. I have to say if I sell a card for that amount I think I would just ship it in a small flat rate box or something to make sure its protected.

I got a return on an item I knew that worked I sold on EBay several years ago and I was afraid I was going to get a box with bricks in it or something so I had my wife record me opening the package. I made sure to show the DC # and all. It may be wise to do something like that on more valuable packages when receiving them.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I thought the same thing heavy, Is it really worth it? Also like I said the card is bound to pop up someday and its not a card that you can mix in with other cards as its a unique bat knob and there was only 1 from that set not multiple.

That set is iconic (or as iconic as a year-old set can be) and the sale of HOFs from the set won't go unnoticed.

It reminds me of art thieves who end up having no platform to sell what they steal because of how famous the artwork itself is. Then the art surfaces later at some auction and the auction house is forced to give up the stolen goods.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Why would this even gotten delivered? This should have been sent to the damage department before delivered.

There are checks in place for the PO when packages like this are sent. No carrier would have delivered in this condition. My guess is that it had to be done after delivery. How long was it in your mailbox?
-or-
If it was given to you by hand at the post office, why would you accept it?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Wow thats a mew one even for me. Sorry you had to be subjected to this crap. You will get your money back though but wow thats really bad.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
First of all, terrible experience / outcome and sorry you have to deal with it, I can imagine how frustrating it is.

Second, I'm not defending the seller, but I am almost 99% sure I have purchased something from them before--I recognize the name and address since I usually do a double take on addresses from people who live within a few miles of where I live. I am pretty sure I had a positive transaction with them. So, FWIW, could be that they did ship the card (let's be honest, we've all heard stories about thieving Post Office employees)

that being said, i hate defensive behavior, and if the seller was acting like that and making accusatory claims that is bad business and inappropriate.

i hope the card is found, and that it resolves well for everyone involved...

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Definitely a tough situation for all involved. If the seller insured it, which he should have, he needs to collect on that, refund you and be done with it. I wouldn't necessarily leave the guy negative feedback - put yourself in his place and think how you might react. There's a very real possibility that a postal employee or someone other than the seller switched your card out before the package was delivered.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
If the OP opened the package and it didn't come from USPS ripped open, then only 1 of two possibilities exist, the OP is a liar, or the seller is. If you look at the way the seller put the label on, there is no way to open the envelope without the appearance of tampering, so I think we can safely rule out foul play from the post office. If the back seal had been uncovered with the label, then I could see how the post office worker might have been able to open it and make the change, but the mail label covered that option up. The only other possibility is that the seller may employ help to ship and perhaps there is something corrupt going on with that person...just throwing it out as a possibility.

Members online