Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best chance at MLB/hobby superstar-dom (2010-2011 rookies)

Of the 2010-2011 rookie class, who has the best chance at MLB/hobby superstar-dom? (pick two)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
From the 2010 to 2011 rookie class, who has the best chance at being a bonafide MLB/hobby "superstar"? I'm talking Mauer/Pujols/Utley/Jeter/Cabrera/Suzuki/Halladay/Rivera type stardom. Take into consideration the position they play, injury probability, their character on and off the field, offensive and defensive statistical prowess and the team/market they play for/in. Pick your top-two.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
This guy still....
gyi0060249863.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I have a hard time seeing how anyone can leave Stanton out of their top 2 from this list. Power like that comes maybe once every decade or two; and I think he'll ultimately hit for pretty good average too.

It was very difficult to not vote for Hosmer or Castro, but Strasburg was my second pick for similar power as Stanton, only from the mound rather than at the plate. TJS hasn't stopped too many pitchers from regaining top form in recent years, and Strasburg at or near top form has the stuff to be one of the best in the game.

What separates these two from the others on this list is what I'll call "the electric factor"--meaning they have the 500+ foot homerun power and the 100+mph arm and the 50+ homerun potential and the 15+ strikeouts in a game potential. These are things that few human beings are physically capable of doing, and players who perform at a level that awes people are the kind of players who find stardom and whose cards sell for astronomical prices on a consistant basis.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
All The Hype said:
I have a hard time seeing how anyone can leave Stanton out of their top 2 from this list. Power like that comes maybe once every decade or two; and I think he'll ultimately hit for pretty good average too.

It was very difficult to not vote for Hosmer or Castro, but Strasburg was my second pick for similar power as Stanton, only from the mound rather than at the plate. TJS hasn't stopped too many pitchers from regaining top form in recent years, and Strasburg at or near top form has the stuff to be one of the best in the game.

What separates these two from the others on this list is what I'll call "the electric factor"--meaning they have the 500+ foot homerun power and the 100+mph arm and the 50+ homerun potential and the 15+ strikeouts in a game potential. These are things that few human beings are physically capable of doing, and players who perform at a level that awes people are the kind of players who find stardom and whose cards sell for astronomical prices on a consistant basis.

Adam Dunn and J.R. Richard wonder why this didn't happen to them.

I think who you play for is still a huge factor.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I know what you're saying, and I'm sure you already know hobby super-stardom doesn't always (usually?) equal MLB super-stardom. I suppose hobby super-stardom also changes with hobby niche - prospectors have their own 'superstars', base Topps-type collectors someone else entirely.

But if I had to choose someone from your poll, Freeman is intriguing, in part because of the team he's on - Chipper's retirement leaves a gap in Atlanta.

sportscardtheory said:
From the 2010 to 2011 rookie class, who has the best chance at being a bonafide MLB/hobby "superstar"? I'm talking Mauer/Pujols/Utley/Jeter/Cabrera/Suzuki/Halladay/Rivera type stardom. Take into consideration the position they play, injury probability, their character on and off the field, offensive and defensive statistical prowess and the team/market they play for/in. Pick your top-two.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
uniquebaseballcards said:
I know what you're saying, and I'm sure you already know hobby super-stardom doesn't always (usually?) equal MLB super-stardom. I suppose hobby super-stardom also changes with hobby niche - prospectors have their own 'superstars', base Topps-type collectors someone else entirely.

But if I had to choose someone from your poll, Freeman is intriguing, in part because of the team he's on - Chipper's retirement leaves a gap in Atlanta.

sportscardtheory said:

Understood. I am asking for a combination of both hobby and ML success.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I went with Strasburg for obvious reasons, because I like many believe he is the real deal, and then Posey because he was already on the cusp before injury. This is not to say others like Stanton could not be, but these are just my two...

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
What you can't forget is that there is a glass ceiling when it comes to hobby stardom... if you do not come into the league labeled a future star (in the hobby) there is almost nothing you can do to gain that level of hobby acceptance. Look at guys like Guerrero, Manny etc. and the numbers they put up and when you realize they were never really stars in the hobby, there's not much anyone can do.

Running with that idea, I think that Stanton and Strasburg have the best chance because in both cases if they do perform, they've been put on that pedestal where they could end up a true hobby star IMO.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Topnotchsy said:
What you can't forget is that there is a glass ceiling when it comes to hobby stardom... if you do not come into the league labeled a future star (in the hobby) there is almost nothing you can do to gain that level of hobby acceptance. Look at guys like Guerrero, Manny etc. and the numbers they put up and when you realize they were never really stars in the hobby, there's not much anyone can do.

Running with that idea, I think that Stanton and Strasburg have the best chance because in both cases if they do perform, they've been put on that pedestal where they could end up a true hobby star IMO.

Here is how I look at it.

You won't reach "Hobby Super Stardom" if....

1. You aren't a highly touted prospect.
2. You are a highly touted prospect that doesn't immediately produce.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Topnotchsy said:

Here is how I look at it.

You won't reach "Hobby Super Stardom" if....

1. You aren't a highly touted prospect.
2. You are a highly touted prospect that doesn't immediately produce.

Sure, and once a player falls off the bandwagon its almost impossible to climb back on.

...but we're mostly looking in the short-term here on FCB... as usual. Certain players may become extraordinarily popular in the distant future, driving up their hobby interest. Sets have an impact as well of course.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
Starlin Castro. I'm biased of course, but leading the league in hits when you're 21 yeas old is pretty impressive. He will develop power and he plays for a big market team.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I voted for Castro and Stras. Although I think the guy in that group that has the best career is Freeman.

Wes

OG
Administrator
All The Hype said:

That's totally hyperbolic. There are plenty of power hitters like that (and better) over a 10 year or 20 year period. Can you really not name another power hitter from the last 20 years as good or better than Stanton? Barry Bonds? Frank Thomas? Mark McGwire? Sammy Sosa? Shoot, Bryce Harper has more power than Stanton.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Wes said:
That's totally hyperbolic. There are plenty of power hitters like that (and better) over a 10 year or 20 year period. Can you really not name another power hitter from the last 20 years as good or better than Stanton? Barry Bonds? Frank Thomas? Mark McGwire? Sammy Sosa? Shoot, Bryce Harper has more power than Stanton.
Come on Wes, it's the internet. Without hyperbole, it would just be boring.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I think Lawrie has a good shot. He is a Canadian superstar for a Canadian team, which could give him a hobby bump as a fan favorite type. Plus he plays really hard, hits enough and is a flashy fielder (not necessarily a good one, but makes enough diving plays that he'll be on BBTN regularly). His cards are already ridiculously priced, but I could see them going up more.

I think when looking at hobby superstar-dom, you have to look at a couple main factors--team, likeability as a player, media savvy, and flashiness in terms of getting high-lights. For stats, I mainly only look at avg, HR, and k/9 for pitchers. Not much else. Much different than evaluating real talent in the game, though.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
sportscardtheory said:
miguelcabrera said:
i wouldnt call mauer, cabrera, or utley "hobby" superstars

You also don't think that Randy Johnson is a HOFer. Your opinion is pretty useless.

so 10 dollar autos equate to hobby superstardom? in addition, I was just listing the players from your original list that I do not believe are hobby stars, and would like to add jeter is a hobby star but a terrible player and not an MLB star

Members online

Latest posts