Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS and shipping costs. Please chime in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:
As long as there is some form of reciept stating the price and form of in house insurance, all is well.
You think I should ask to see it? The whole thing seems ridiculous.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
jbhofmann said:
Itemized receipt please.

Exactly. If they tell you that's what it's paying for, they should have evidence of what they are telling you. Personally, I think it's B.S.
The receipt I got simply says $13 for shipping and $42 for insurance...

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
show them how you feel with your wallet, otherwise, look at it as part of the cost of business and don't itemize the specific costs. but yeah, it's lame.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
mazarazz said:
show them how you feel with your wallet, otherwise, look at it as part of the cost of business and don't itemize the specific costs. but yeah, it's lame.
Not sure what you mean?

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
mazarazz said:
Not sure what you mean?
i interpreted your post as in in bgs is making a quick $25 on your order.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
mazarazz said:
Topnotchsy said:
mazarazz said:
Not sure what you mean?
It certainly seems that way...

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
I have never insured cards for anywhere near that amount, so I have never encountered insurance costs like that. With that said, it does seem a little ridiculous. I am kind shocked noone else has chimed in that these are normal or abnormal practices based on previous submissions. I would have assumed some of the people on these boards have submitted enough cards to go over the $6000 insurance mark.

Out of curiosity, what card(s) did you send to come up with the $6000 mark. Was there one very valuable card in the order?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
AndruwHRJones said:
I have never insured cards for anywhere near that amount, so I have never encountered insurance costs like that. With that said, it does seem a little ridiculous. I am kind shocked noone else has chimed in that these are normal or abnormal practices based on previous submissions. I would have assumed some of the people on these boards have submitted enough cards to go over the $6000 insurance mark.

Out of curiosity, what card(s) did you send to come up with the $6000 mark. Was there one very valuable card in the order?
Ruth APOH 500 bat /50 (sold for $5000)
Pujols Spx Auto
etc.

I was probably a bit under at $6000 to be honest.

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
mazarazz said:
Topnotchsy said:
mazarazz said:
Not sure what you mean?
It certainly seems that way...
From my earlier comment, I meant don't send any more orders in to BGS.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
I'm confused as to why you would send the cards in if you don't like the shipping costs. The costs are clearly stated on the submission form, and if you didn't like the fees then you should not have sent the cards. It isn't like you were hit with prices other than what is stated on the form.

With that said, I'm sure Beckett has business insurance to cover items in their possession. This is no different than any other business that carries insurance. Was anybody really under the impression that Beckett would not cover themselves for liability when there are hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of other people's cards in their possession?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
WJCIII said:
I'm confused as to why you would send the cards in if you don't like the shipping costs. The costs are clearly stated on the submission form, and if you didn't like the fees then you should not have sent the cards. It isn't like you were hit with prices other than what is stated on the form.

With that said, I'm sure Beckett has business insurance to cover items in their possession. This is no different than any other business that carries insurance. Was anybody really under the impression that Beckett would not cover themselves for liability when there are hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of other people's cards in their possession?
I have no problem paying shipping fees and no problem paying that much if that was what it cost them. To charge money for insurance under the guise of shipping insurance (yes they refer to insurance as "return insurance," not "let's charge more to cover our butts if we mess something up") seems a little shady to me.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
So do you think it's shady if a jeweler purchases insurance to cover himself for damage, lost items, theft, etc? How about a car dealership that buys insurance to cover the same things? Is that shady as well or is it only shady in the sports card industry? Also, if those companies do buy insurance to cover themselves, which they undoubtedly do, do you think they build some of that cost into the price of their items or do you believe they eat those costs? I believe the answer is fairly obvious. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just confused as to where the "shady" part comes in.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
WJCIII said:
So do you think it's shady if a jeweler purchases insurance to cover himself for damage, lost items, theft, etc? How about a car dealership that buys insurance to cover the same things? Is that shady as well or is it only shady in the sports card industry? Also, if those companies do buy insurance to cover themselves, which they undoubtedly do, do you think they build some of that cost into the price of their items or do you believe they eat those costs? I believe the answer is fairly obvious. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just confused as to where the "shady" part comes in.
What is "shady" in my book is calling it shipping insurance and then pocketing it. (Regardless of whether or not they need to insure their store, calling it something it is not seems shady to me.)

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
So it's simply the wording that bothers you? If so then I really think that's a big reach. Don't get me wrong I hate paying shipping just as much as the next guy, I just happen to disagree with your argument in this case.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
WJCIII said:
So it's simply the wording that bothers you? If so then I really think that's a big reach. Don't get me wrong I hate paying shipping just as much as the next guy, I just happen to disagree with your argument in this case.

You're alive??? Holy moly :)

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
WJCIII said:
Not really. To be perfectly frank I think the whole claim is fabricated. Their shipping rates seem to in line with the actual costs of FedEx shipping (I've dealt with them before numerous times and there's never been much of a discrepancy between the charged and actual shipping costs) but not with USPS Registered. It seems much more like an excuse not to issue a refund.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
WJCIII said:

Exactly, they have an insurance policy that covers them. Most, if not all, businesses have insurance. The cost of insurance is worked into the price of the goods or service.

Not tacked on because he had an expensive submission.

That's called shady.

Members online

Latest posts