Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braun gets a standing O 1st AB after lying and cheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Lifetime Brewer fan here, and a conflicted one at that. Braun served the penalty meted out by MLB and is still under contract to the team. As a fan of that team, I hope hecomes back and has plays productive injury-free baseball, but I'll never look at him or root for him personally the same way again. This is based not so much on the fact that he cheated but that, when given multiple opportunities over a long period of time to come clean, he continued to double down and stack lie on top of lie to his teammates, management (who pay his salary), his inner circle (most famously Aaron Rodgers) and yes, the fan base who supported him, allowing everyone to speak out in his defense knowing full well he was guilty the entire time. To me, that crosses the line from "bad choices" to "bad guy".

He still needs to do two things to even come close to vindicating himself in my eyes. The first is to come completely clean with a full accounting of his PED use (likely to never happen) and the second is to put up MVP-caliber numbers again now that he is (at least presumably) clean. He deserves any and all the derision he's going to get on the road - he made that bed himself. And I while I hope he helps the Brewers with his play on the field, I certainly won't be giving him a standing ovation when I'm out at Miller Park anytime soon.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
He blew one call. The fact that it was a perfect game has no bearing on that one call. Also a whoopsie is a XXXX-up. It's just a nicer way of saying it. Every baseball fan knows galaragga threw a perfect game.

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

Galarraga didnt throw a perfect game, so, every baseball fan that knows he did is wrong.

Why are they wrong? Because Jim Joyce made the bad call that cost him a perfect game.

It's bad enough to make a mistake in an office that gets noticed just by your supervisor, but to make a mistake that cost Galarraga his place in baseball history with millions watching is egregious

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Well said Billy. It's not like his reputation has been wiped clean. Braun will never be held on the pedestal of Yount, Molitor, or even Gorman Thomas at this point. He will be verbally abused in every city he goes to. He will likely never win another MVP award regardless of season. He will never be given HOF consideration. There will be no "farewell tours" or major sponsorship deals. He'll play, his play will be cheered at home, but his legacy is cemented. He is not revered here or anywhere

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
As classy as...............Pettitte?

Good example.

And add Giambi.

They're both still loved and admired by most.

Why? Because when they got caught they admitted it and moved on.

They didn't deny it like McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro.

Clearly, if history teaches us anything, it's if you get caught, just admit it, apologize, even if it's bullXXXX, and the fans will forgive and forget.

Don't take the Braun, Lance Armstrong, Bonds and Clemens route. That will just make people hate you more. You can't try and throw other people under the bus to save your own ass, because the fans and media will XXXX on you all day long. Just own up to it, claim you made an error in judgement and that you're sorry, and all is forgiven.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Who cares. I've got more pressing issues than worrying about a guy who used steroids and how fans react to him. XXXX, if that's the biggest problem in ANYONE's life, please, jump off a bridge now and do the world a favor.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Who cares. I've got more pressing issues than worrying about a guy who used steroids and how fans react to him. XXXX, if that's the biggest problem in ANYONE's life, please, jump off a bridge now and do the world a favor.

Says the guy opining on a baseball card message board. The only person in whose life this is the biggest problem is Braun... and maybe not even his. As for you AmishDave, the post title clearly indicates the content herein. If you've got more pressing issues, move on and don't click the link, Chuckles. Otherwise take your condescension elsewhere....

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014

Someone should kill themselves because they don't have problems in their life worse than that? To me that means they have a fantastic life. You are a piece of XXXX saying something like that.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Says the guy opining on a baseball card message board. The only person in whose life this is the biggest problem is Braun... and maybe not even his. As for you AmishDave, the post title clearly indicates the content herein. If you've got more pressing issues, move on and don't click the link, Chuckles. Otherwise take your condescension elsewhere....

I hate whining about insignificant subjects. I'll post where I damn well please.

Someone should kill themselves because they don't have problems in their life worse than that? To me that means they have a fantastic life. You are a piece of XXXX saying something like that.

You need to learn to comprehend statements, since there is a great disconnect to understand what I wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
You said if that is the biggest problem in some one's life they should kill themselves. If this is the biggest problem in someone's life they have a great life cause this isn't a big problem. My reading comprehension is just fine.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I wouldn't have given Braun a standing ovation either, but now I've seen that it pissed off the OP, I'm all in favor of it.

Lol at someone who doesn't know the difference between 'where' and 'were' (it's not a one-off before anyone claims it's a typo) calling others brainless.

23 posts in a year and tracking my spelling errors. Your life must be so fulfilling. I also always screw up their and thier and I accidently saved it once so now chrome no longer corrects it. The reason I tell you this? I would hate in a year when you have 46 posts to have you point out this embarrassing detail and make me blush knowing some dude cares and is logging my constant typos.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Lifetime Brewer fan here, and a conflicted one at that. Braun served the penalty meted out by MLB and is still under contract to the team. As a fan of that team, I hope hecomes back and has plays productive injury-free baseball, but I'll never look at him or root for him personally the same way again. This is based not so much on the fact that he cheated but that, when given multiple opportunities over a long period of time to come clean, he continued to double down and stack lie on top of lie to his teammates, management (who pay his salary), his inner circle (most famously Aaron Rodgers) and yes, the fan base who supported him, allowing everyone to speak out in his defense knowing full well he was guilty the entire time. To me, that crosses the line from "bad choices" to "bad guy".

He still needs to do two things to even come close to vindicating himself in my eyes. The first is to come completely clean with a full accounting of his PED use (likely to never happen) and the second is to put up MVP-caliber numbers again now that he is (at least presumably) clean. He deserves any and all the derision he's going to get on the road - he made that bed himself. And I while I hope he helps the Brewers with his play on the field, I certainly won't be giving him a standing ovation when I'm out at Miller Park anytime soon.

Very well said .

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
He looked at Aaron Rodgers straight in the eyes and told him he never took PED. Braun did not just lie to baseball fans but to all the people that trusted & support him. Yes he serve his time but when AROD come back U expect Yankees fans going to give him 1 minute standing ovation? Just my 2 cents.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
He looked at Aaron Rodgers straight in the eyes and told him he never took PED. Braun did not just lie to baseball fans but to all the people that trusted & support him. Yes he serve his time but when AROD come back U expect Yankees fans going to give him 1 minute standing ovation? Just my 2 cents.

If AROD isn't boo'ed at Yankee Stadium, then this whole thread is invalid.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
If AROD isn't boo'ed at Yankee Stadium, then this whole thread is invalid.

AROD also sued the ball club. Arod attacks the ownership on a completely disconnected matter when the steroid stuff went down, so it is slightly different.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
People have short term memories in the U.S. This is in regards to anything that happens. Some people can't even remember events that happened a year ago.

That's what happens when you are in a fast food media age.

Members online