Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Breaking News - Panini Gets USA Baseball Exclusive License

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't see this as a big deal any way one looks at it. What percentage of people who buy cards (including casual collectors) actively look to pick up any USA?

When people wanted Harper cards they didn't care about the USA part, they only wanted Harper.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Be prepared to open a box set only to find a box full of redemption cards!
Anytime Panini gets an exclusive for anything is bad news.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
bballcardkid said:
Would have been nice if Upper Deck reclaimed the license.

This could be a great thing though as already mentioned:
-No watering down...hopefully
-Prime Cuts could include some nice USA auto patches, something Topps could never seem to be able to do outside of their first boxed set.

If I spent $250 on a box of Prime Cuts and pulled a USA autograph, I would be furious.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
SydBarrett said:
bballcardkid said:
Would have been nice if Upper Deck reclaimed the license.

This could be a great thing though as already mentioned:
-No watering down...hopefully
-Prime Cuts could include some nice USA auto patches, something Topps could never seem to be able to do outside of their first boxed set.

If I spent $250 on a box of Prime Cuts and pulled a USA autograph, I would be furious.

I'd imagine Panini would include them as additional hits, similar to the way Topps handled USA Chrome Autos, but that's just a guess.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
When the USA cards were bonuses like in 2010 Bowman, they were a great added value. But once Topps started including them in the regular set, where they replaced prospects, it became too much. There are guys that were just drafted that have 5+ USA cards from different sets. It's absurd.

Will Panini produce better stuff, who knows. But at least we can go back to it not being completely watered down when guys finally get prospect cards

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Does anyone think this change in regime will make the Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome USA autos increase in value at all?

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
YES!!!!! :D I'm glad to see someone else get the license. I'll miss the Chrome autos but can't wait to see what Panini will come up with. Guess I shouldn't get too excited as those of you who know more than me about Panini aren't thrilled.

I absolutely loved UD's last year of USA cards and how they were so collector oriented for an investing audience. I really enjoyed cards such as the Q&A, Big Sigs, etc. even if I was planning to flip them. I sold most my Coles but still have all my Bauers, though I've realized I can't afford to keep them all. While I'm not optimistic about Panini coming close to UD's level, I hope this is the end of the uninspiring on card autos that Topps produced.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Guys, I'm telling you, do not get too excited about Panini. If you've opened any of their football, hockey, and basketball lately it has been overhyped junk. They are full of redemption cards, sometimes two per pack on the higher end stuff. I can almost guarantee you that these autos will not be an additional hit, and with their stupid distribution rules, you won't even get it until weeks after the initial release.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Nothing wrong with Panini

IMG_20120217_122531.jpg

IMG_20120309_170315.jpg

IMG_20120316_070420.jpg

Nicer than topps.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
thefatguy said:
Nothing wrong with Panini
Panini does a good job with hockey, not sure about basketball since I don't collect it anymore, and I haven't paid attention to unlicensed baseball as it doesn't interest me, but football has been one big suckfest after another. For every good, there are two bads.

They've taken every good thing that was DLP and skull****ed it. Some of the decisions were just moronic, like going with "Totally Certified" as a product name or making Elite rookies horizontal with stamping in an area you could barely see it. I've seen high school students print better looking things than Prestige.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
55_marlins_sp said:
Hoooray, says the only AJ Vanegas collector ... :|

Hey buddy, curious if you are interested in acquiring some bulk Vanegas items?

I have alot, pretty rare down to the not so much (blue refs, refs, chrome lots). You interested? Not giving them away but would definately deal if you want to acquire the collection. Have a few Tony Zych USA Red auto's /25 also...

...do LMK, thanks!

- jkeys

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
goldenegg1 said:
Guys, I'm telling you, do not get too excited about Panini. If you've opened any of their football, hockey, and basketball lately it has been overhyped junk. They are full of redemption cards, sometimes two per pack on the higher end stuff. I can almost guarantee you that these autos will not be an additional hit, and with their stupid distribution rules, you won't even get it until weeks after the initial release.

I fully agree with this. Some of their cards are nice but I won't even buy Panini wax and I make a serious effort to not buy Panini redemptions unless the price makes it worth the risk. I've never experienced as many issues with redemptions and poor customer service as I have with Panini.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
No doubt I'll miss Topps, but I'm a huge fan of what Panini has done with other sports.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
So, Pannini thinks it'll get its 2012 EEE out in the year 2012, huh? Interesting...

Personally, I'm glad Topps will stop watering down these releases. They are like a one-trick pony when they get something kinda right. I know their point is to make money, but how long were we going to be pulling Albert Almora autos?

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
goldenegg1 said:

AMEN, yes their high end stuff is great, but not still not a great ROI, all in all it is JUNK.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
brauny said:
goldenegg1 said:

AMEN, yes their high end stuff is great, but not still not a great ROI, all in all it is JUNK.

What kind of ROI do you want and what product on average produces that number.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:
So, Pannini thinks it'll get its 2012 EEE out in the year 2012, huh? Interesting...

Personally, I'm glad Topps will stop watering down these releases. They are like a one-trick pony when they get something kinda right. I know their point is to make money, but how long were we going to be pulling Albert Almora autos?

and 2 Prime cuts this year.

'12 Prime Cuts in Oct. maybe Oct '13

Members online

Latest posts