Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
When I first started, I had all my Ripkens in a penny sleeve, top loader and team bag. It didn't take too long before I took the team bags to make room for the incoming cards. Then I realized that if I was to continue buying/trading, I will need more room. Now I don't worry about the thickness of the card. If it fits in a penny sleeve, they go to a 800 - 1000 card box and inside a file box. If it fits in that box, that's where they'll stay and the ones that don't fit go in top loaders in a different box and also inside a file box. A file box can fit nine 1000 card boxes, so you can have approximately 8K to 9K each file per file box. Just make sure they are all in penny sleeve or they will stick to each other after a while. Every now and then, I break them out and look through them and surprise myself because when you get to around 5K different cards, you tend to forget some of the cards you already have. I also use this time to put the ones in the right place..

I've tried the penny sleeves and binders too, but as you mentioned, but you're taking more risk in damaging the cards by taking them out and inserting them to the nine pocket pages. Takes too much time if buy/trade a lot.

How about the rest of you guys?

Last edited:

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
I tracked all the Ripkens I owned Via Excel.
One tab for base cards (>$9), in order of year & set.
One tab for "Money Cards" (<$10), in order of year, set.
Final tab was for any traded or sold Ripkens for reference.

Storage looked like this:
Base cards - Penny sleeved and organized.

Money Cards - Penny sleeved, top loaded or One touched if <$50, team bagged, and organized.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Here's a question for you Ripken Collectors...

Too late now, but IF I offered the two cards in my signature for sale for $85 last week, would any of you have picked it up? One is serial numbered to 10 and the other to 30. Both colored patches from 2005 Ultimate.

Why or why not?

I'm asking because both sold this morning for less than $85 and I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. Thanks....

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
I can't speak to everyone else, but I personally only collect cards from his playing years. I imagine the demand on others are much more niche and can be hit or miss. Probably BIN / OBO is the way to go on those, auctions may be playing with fire.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Hey Ripken guys! What Ripken do I have here. Is it the tiffany? Its the shiny one but the number is throwing me off 15 of 20.
cal.jpg

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
That Police Issue Ripken has got to break $20k.

On a side topic, have any of you guys actually bought from an auction house like Huggins and Scott? I only use eBay for the most part. It says that the buyer's premium on Huggins and Scott is about 18%, plus 6% sales tax for us Maryland guys (and I assume there are a lot of Maryland Ripken collectors).

So even if it went for $20k, the buyer is almost paying $25k right off the bat!

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
The Pujols card was pack pulled. The Robinson version was a cheap BIN that I couldn't hit fast enough.

I also have the single patch:

10_ripken_04of50.jpg

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Anyone have experience with buying out a collection? I know a guy who is considering selling but is seeking about $1500. He collected from 80s through mid 90s of course, though his count is 910 unique Ripkens. He's missing most valuable stuff from that era (Rookies are OC, No 93 Finest Refractor, No 92 Elite Signature Series, don't see any crusades, etc.), but he does have some halfway decent stuff. Has a Holoview Red, 1995 Finest Refractor and a ton of miscellaneous inserts.

Of the pics he sent, this is one I glossed over. I didn't really see anything amazing in this pic, am I missing anything?

032D567C-CC18-BE08-23A011B2E1D85D58.png

I think most of those parallels are actually artist proofs (which I like), but even those are probably only $10-$15 a piece or so?

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
Hi jonebone!

I've bought out a couple collections in the past. Yeah, you're right...nothing too exciting from the picture you supplied, but from what I can see on that table, there's probably ~$400-$600 BV at least (can't tell if that's just the triumvirate luminous there or the luminescent or illuminator). Also, if there's 910 unique cards, then that figures out to $1.65 per card which isn't a bad price if there's a lot of inserts/parallels like you indicated and there wouldn't be a ton of duplicates for you. The going cost for the red holoview alone on ebay seems to be around the $50 mark and the artists proofs are generally selling ~$20 low-end, but I'd half to assume there would be some higher-end AP's in all that. Are the remaining cards in that 3-row box or is there more yet? I guess it depends on your perspective...If there are some unique items along with the rest of the collection filling a decent number of holes in your collection, then it might be worth considering. Based on how much it furthers your collection, the price might not be bad, but I would still try to negotiate with him a bit. If you have the opportunity to take some extended time and look closer at his collection, I would group things into piles. Example...AP's in one pile, low serial numbered cards (/100 or less) in another pile, base cards and low-money/high serial numbered cards into another, etc. and then visually you get a better sense of what the collection has to offer and where its value/strengths are and can evaluate from there based on the quantity in some of those piles, BV, how many holes it fills, etc. It also gives you a chance to gauge general condition since it appears there's nothing graded. At least I find that approach helps me to better evaluate things. Usually, it takes an evening (depending on the size of the collection) for me to sit down and go through something like that. Good luck with it and keep us posted with what you decide!

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
For those keeping up, Huggins and Scott is in the process of closing auction listings for a 1980 Charlotte O's Police set. The 25 card set was broken down to three different lots: 1) A BVG 8 Ripken, 2) a PSA 7 Pepper Girls card, 3) and the remaining 23 cards. The Pepper Girls card has ended for $1,659 (final bid price including commission). The other two lots are in "overtime" format. Including commission, the Ripken is at $21,330!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts