Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Any of you guys familiar with this set? Ideas of how many was made? Never seen this before.....
The coin holder
attachment.php

The coins are little bigger than the old silver dollars
attachment.php

The newspaper cut outs(?)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got the set fairly cheap but still need information if anyone knows. Thanks.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Haha, I had the same box and would have saved it myself, had it not been for the fact that my boys opened the box and creased it up pretty good. if there are still any on the shelves the next time we are shopping, I may grab one and flatten it for the collection. I am sick…I can't pass on ANYTHING, especially free!

I'm not sure how hard core you guys are or if this was already covered in the thread. I saw my daughter eating these with Cal on the box:
image-112.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Got a pretty sweet Ripken in a trade: 1997 Pinnacle Cardfrontations Press Plate #d 1/1 (First year they inserted Press Plates into packs/boxes)

Will probably be for trade if anyone is interested. Looking for tough Griffey inserts from the 1990s.
RipkenPressPlate.jpgRipkenPressPlateBack.jpg

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Got a pretty sweet Ripken in a trade: 1997 Pinnacle Cardfrontations Press Plate #d 1/1 (First year they inserted Press Plates into packs/boxes)

Will probably be for trade if anyone is interested. Looking for tough Griffey inserts from the 1990s.
View attachment 39559View attachment 39560

I saw this on eBay as well but didn't bid when the bids went over what I was willing to pay.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Anyone here win that Precious Gems Ripken BGA 9.5 that went off this weekend? I had a bid on it myself, not too far off from close.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
At looooooooong last, finally completed the four Epix's and here they are......

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The first two Emeralds and one Purple (first scan) cost me a pretty penny but all worth it to cross them off my list... YAY!

NOTES: 1998 Pinnacle Epix is a multi-tiered, multi-fractured, 72-card, cross-brand insert set. Randomly inserted in 1998 Pinnacle packs at the rate of one in 21, 1998 Score packs at 1:61 and 1998 Zenith packs at 1:11, the 24 players included in this set were featured on four different cards to commemorate (in ascending order of scarcity) their greatest play, game, moment, and season. Each card was specific to a particular brand. To obtain all the cards for each player in this fractured insert set, one had to open Pinnacle, Score and Zenith packs. A final selection of Epix cards was slated for inclusion in 1998 Pinnacle Certified, but the manufacturer went bankrupt before that product shipped.
Each card is available in three different colors: Orange, Purple, and Emerald. Approximately 70% of all Epix are Orange, 20% Purple, and 10% Emerald. According to Pinnacle Brands, only 30 copies of each Emerald Season card were produced although the cards are not serial-numbered.
Printing plates for some cards also exist but it is unclear how these were distributed.
A second set of "All-Star Epix" inserts, separate from the regular Epix set, was released in packs of 1998 Score Rookie/Traded and 1998 Pinnacle Plus.

Cards marked with an "S" were inserted into 1998 Score packs. Cards marked with a "P" were inserted into 1998 Pinnacle packs. Cards marked with a "Z" were inserted into 1998 Zenith packs. Cards marked with a "C" were scheduled for insertion into packs of 1998 Pinnacle Certified, but were never released.
NOTES:

• All Zenith Epix cards were embedded inside a 5" X 7" jumbo card, which had to be torn open to reveal the smaller, standard-sized card.
  • 1998 Score All-Star Edition packs do not contain Epix cards.
  • Each 1998 Score and Pinnacle wrapper deceptively states that there is an "EPIX INSIDE." The actual insertion ratios are stated above.

Season
E14 Cal Ripken, Jr. S
Moment
E14 Cal Ripken, Jr. P
Play

E14 Cal Ripken, Jr. Z
Game
E14 Cal Ripken, Jr. C

All-Star Epix

All-Star Epix is a 24-card set released in both 1998 Score Rookie/Traded and Pinnacle Plus. Similar to the Epix inserts, All-Star Epix showcases All-Star Game highlights on holographic matrix cards.

The first twelve cards were seeded in Score Rookie and Traded packs while the final 12 cards were inserted in Pinnacle Plus packs.

Unlike the first batch of Epix inserts, only one All-Star Epix card per player was produced.

70% of the total production of all All-Star Epix inserts were printed on Orange foil; 20% on Purple foil; and the remaining 10% on Emerald foil.

Last edited:

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Ah, so you beat me on those EPIX cards recently :) I have the rainbow on "Play" and "All-Star Moment", hopefully will complete the others someday. I don't collect Ripkens nearly as much as you guys, only a select few cards I go after and video game collecting is where I spend the majority of my time.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the info, Magic. Is it confirmed that the "C" was never released or sold after the bankruptcy? Where exactly are the "S, P. Z" marks located?

I havent hear or seen any from the Certified.............. there are no marks on the cards, just states what product each came out of
Cards marked with an "S" were inserted into 1998 Score packs. Cards marked with a "P" were inserted into 1998 Pinnacle packs. Cards marked with a "Z" were inserted into 1998 Zenith packs. Cards marked with a "C" were scheduled for insertion into packs of 1998 Pinnacle Certified, but were never released.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Finally finished up my Ripken PSA10 Base Topps set from 82-2000. Was stuck on the 98 and 99 forever until 4SC finally listed a couple over the past two weeks.

DSC02387_zps5119449e.jpg

Members online