Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chris Olds is tweeting that Topps hid Glossy 1/1s in the Panels of Ginter Boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
BBC, it's the first year they've done this man. Relax. They are bound to do better in the future. At least there is an extra hit though I haven't purchased a box of Ginter since 2010. I do understand about those high dollar boxes with nothing but a couple of GU cards. And yes those suck.

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
But what does the pricepoint for Ginter, GQ, or Heritage and the fact that they don't yield the big hits that you'd like have anything to do with Topps hiding these cards in the boxes and not announcing it before release? It seems like BBC was mad at that in the beginning.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, just for the record: no one here seems to care that Topps clearly gave Beckett a loaded box to break.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Well here we go.

I'm sorry if u see Topps through rose colored glasses in a bunny and puppy world of cards.

You obviously have zero idea or clue of anything I posted, been like that for years.

When Topps or any company does something great, I'll say so (Topps base can't be beat).

When Topps or other companies do something stupid or puts out XXXX, I'll say so as well.

Just so happens Topps XXXXs the bed with many baseball products at multiple price points. Something leaf and Panini don't do.

Since I own a store, I see it first hand. I see multiple upon multiple ginter boxes yielding chone figgins like gu.

I see the constant crap come out of over priced boxes like gq, heritage and the like.

I see constant let downs by my customers as they wonder why they spent $70 on a bc box which has one auto yet elite gives out 7-14 low numbered autos for $20 more.

But it's ok my man, keep buying or praising $100 boxes which yield three gu cards, or $70 boxes with one gu. Or $300 Srp boxes of wbc which is the worst product of the last few yrs.

Or maybe you just love bland, "same old same old" products from Topps.

As long as I'm behind the counter doing this for a living, you bet your ass I'll be XXXXXing and praising stuff as I see fit.

I agree many people don't realize Topps has them by a string, Topps helped create an environment that perpetuates both greed and gluttony.

Regular people who both buy and sell contribute to the circus, although ebay sellers without a real stake in the hobby and manufacturers may be more to blame for the 'evils' in the hobby that center around $.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I saw that tweet, and had no idea what it meant. Who calls the top of a box a "cover?" If they had said,'Who is ready to "rip a box lid" of Ginter today?' it might've been useful information.

But there's really no point in getting bent out of shape over this. IMHO, it was a dumb idea, but you didn't lose anything if you threw your boxes out. It's not like they hid all the publicized hits in the lids. If you found it, great. If not, that just makes the rest of them more special.

I do wonder how many people will be feeling up sealed boxes now, though.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
Ok, just for the record: no one here seems to care that Topps clearly gave Beckett a loaded box to break.

I will tell you why.
It was not a box given to Beckett.
Beckett opened 2 boxes LIVE at the National with Topps last Saturday and Topps took ALL of the contents.
Chris Olds then went and bought 1 box for $110 at his LCS (he tweeted and shared all this) once the product was out last week.
Plus if it had been from Topps and loaded you would think they would say, hey, look in your lid. Write up a story, etc.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Relax.

If Brent didnt cut his up, someone would have been cutting up their lid to create fake autos (2012 Darvish, Federer, etc...) and sell them to dopes on eBay.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I will tell you why.
It was not a box given to Beckett.
Beckett opened 2 boxes LIVE at the National with Topps last Saturday and Topps took ALL of the contents.
Chris Olds then went and bought 1 box for $110 at his LCS (he tweeted and shared all this) once the product was out last week.
Plus if it had been from Topps and loaded you would think they would say, hey, look in your lid. Write up a story, etc.

Since YOU are the one telling me this, and you have no reason to lie, I will believe it. But that story is patently unbelievable in its own right. The odds are staggering, and the conspiracy theory about Beckett's breaks is long and deep.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
Since YOU are the one telling me this, and you have no reason to lie, I will believe it. But that story is patently unbelievable in its own right. The odds are staggering, and the conspiracy theory about Beckett's breaks is long and deep.

I understand and appreciate that. I have seen Beckett's breaks as well and will say I would lean toward them getting loaded boxes more often than not from manufacturers as well. And while the odds of his one box having it is incredible, it happened to several folks, and in this case, the Topps breaks' and Chris' own personal break were all documented and posted, etc days prior, but I can appreciate why many would think this past off of past results.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
WOW, very dumb idea knowing people throw the boxes away, but I'd like to know if you'd be able to notice if the box lid was thicker?

It'd be awesome if they put decoys in some lids hahaha

Then stupid people who search packs and now boxes would be stuck with an opened box. Suppose they could still sell the packs but still funny.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online