Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Contest with POLL chompsmcgee= winner! HUGE Card purchase

How much would you be willing to throw into the pot for part ownership of an iconic card?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Earlier this week, I ran an idea past a crowd of members. I was thinking that we could pool resources and buy one really nice card. It could be vintage, shiny, or Garbage Pail Kids. I don't plan on running it, but I thought I would put a poll out there to see what interest is brewing. My thought was this card could be displayed at the FCB booth at Nationals, placed in the header of the website, and taken to other large events. Basically the "stockholders" could have input and vote when they think we should move it and cash in or trade up. Just a thought, so please vote then post your thoughts. I will randomly pick a winner who will get $25 paypal from the posts in the thread, no questions asked. FCB, this is our chance to do something really cool, let's do this.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Re: Contest with POLL $25 Paypal to winner! HUGE Card purchase

I think if we got a lot of people to do it and buy something truly memorable. $10 from a hundred people could buy an exceptional card. It might get tricky beyond that.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

I really like this idea. It showed up in the recommendation thread Chris started and I'm gonna stick with my $25 suggestion. I think that total is low enough to let more folks in and to keep anyone from being tempted to do something stupid.

For example, if we get 2000 members, which is only about less than half to "chip in", that'd be more than enough... :shock:

And we'd have to have polls/threads/posts about to start deciding on possible cards to go after.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010

$10-$25 seems reasonable in my book, anything over that seems like a stretch.

Really like the idea though.

ebechols

Jan 20, 2011
Montgomery, AL

I voted for $50, but that is only with shares being issued with the ability to trade or sell the shares. I have seen this done before, and it can be done successfully. The card would need a an annual valuation at the minimum, with quarterly or bi-annual voting if the card were to be sold outright. The card would need to be stored in a safety deposit box or vault unless on display for a function, and depending on the value of the card, insurance would have to be taken out for theft or damage.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.

Im out unless the Strasburg or Harper Supers become available for sale or we can raise enough funds to draw out the Legendary Longoria super as that would be the only card we could display that nobody has seen at least once before..

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado

Perhaps it's just me - just recently returned to the hobby/FCB - but I do not think we would have the amount of postulated participation it has been claimed. One-hundred seems like a generous number. Again: just got back into the mix of the FCB community. It gets quite complicated if the notion of selling comes into play - I just feel the ass-holes would try to get around this with a "portion not received" BS.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008

A_Pharis said:
I voted no, because it'll get tied up with "Who gets to possess the card?" and "What if I want to sell, now, and you want to hold it longer?"

Pretty much the same reason I voted no.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

Fandruw25 said:
A_Pharis said:
I voted no, because it'll get tied up with "Who gets to possess the card?" and "What if I want to sell, now, and you want to hold it longer?"

Pretty much the same reason I voted no.

To answer some of your doubts:

I think a safe deposit box owned by the group in an Atlanta bank (close to FCB) would be the best bet for storage. The "stockholders" would rule on the selling of the card. I would say majority rules.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

I would be in for up to 25 if it was a card that had a chance to increase in value and also who was going to hold the card. There are only a few people I would trust to hold a card worth that much.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

phillyfan0417 said:
I would be in for up to 25 if it was a card that had a chance to increase in value and also who was going to hold the card. There are only a few people I would trust to hold a card worth that much.

This is key, that's why I wanted to get input from prospective buyers.

timfsu2k

Jul 8, 2009
Kentucky

I voted "no" but if it were to become a seriously considered venture you should stick to the lowest amount possible. That way when the inevitable disputes come up, no one will be out a large sum of money.

cygtr

Apr 23, 2010
Jacksonville, FL

ebechols said:
I voted for $50, but that is only with shares being issued with the ability to trade or sell the shares. I have seen this done before, and it can be done successfully. The card would need a an annual valuation at the minimum, with quarterly or bi-annual voting if the card were to be sold outright. The card would need to be stored in a safety deposit box or vault unless on display for a function, and depending on the value of the card, insurance would have to be taken out for theft or damage.

I voted for $50 as well. I like the idea of everyone having a share of the card and being able to sell or trade to someone else.That way individuals are not locked in to whatever the group as a whole decides to do with the card. I also like the quarterly valuation idea. As for the card I would want something vintage.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008

I just couldn't see it turning out well. I doubt there would be enough members involved willing to throw in enough to get a truly iconic card. Not to mention, think of all the bickering that goes on about cards that people don't even own. Now they own the same card together? The site might just explode... :lol:

In a perfect world, good idea, realistically, not so much. IMO. :cool:

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine

I voted no because I would rather invest money in something that I can possess. I don't think that this is a bad idea though.

Wasn't there a company that did something like this a few years ago? I seem to remember receiving emails from a company saying that I could buy "stock" in a particular card and I could pull out or trade my "stock" at any time. I think that weekly or monthly they would would have a different card to invest in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts