Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Current Cy Young Winner? NL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
bodiaz said:
KOBEARODLT said:
jiminez, its his to lose
No brainer. When u factor on coors field.

Factor what about Coors Field? It is no longer the bandbox it once was and MANY pitchers succeed there now.

There is NO question that Ubaldo is the current favorite. Wins aside (league leading 9), he has the best overall stats of ANY eligible pitcher and is currently on pace to set the modern day ERA record.

Not to mention, in his one loss, he only allowed 1 run and the Rockies failed to score a run in the game.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Anthony K. said:
bodiaz said:
KOBEARODLT said:
jiminez, its his to lose

Factor what about Coors Field? It is no longer the bandbox it once was and MANY pitchers succeed there now.

There is NO question that Ubaldo is the current favorite. Wins aside (league leading 9), he has the best overall stats of ANY eligible pitcher and is currently on pace to set the modern day ERA record.

Not to mention, in his one loss, he only allowed 1 run and the Rockies failed to score a run in the game.
I don't think they made the air any thicker?! Still a factor.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
bodiaz said:
Anthony K. said:
bodiaz said:
KOBEARODLT said:
jiminez, its his to lose

I don't think they made the air any thicker?! Still a factor.

Jimenez stats at home the last two years: 130 1/3 IP, 42 ER, 107 K, 8 HR.
Jimenez stats on the road the last two years: 159 IP, 49 ER, 152 K, 6 HR.

Doesn't seem like the home park is affecting him that much, does it?

Plus, the use of the humidor to affect the balls has been slowly bringing the HR rate down and leveling the field of play for all teams that come to Colorado.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Ubaldo Jimenez...at this point it's more of a race for 2nd. Pitching deeper into games, not relying on his fastball as much, not walking as many batters and by several accounts has the best stuff in baseball. If he keeps the walks curbed we might be looking at a late 90's pedro type season.

Ubaldo was tailor made to pitch in Colorado. Every pitch he throws is heavy. He induces groundouts whenever he needs to. His repotoire was built for pitching in the thick colorado air.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Right now, yes, Ubaldo is far and away in the lead, although I still think Josh Johnson ends up winning it.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As others have mentioned Ubaldo has been far and away the best to this point.

A dark horse candidate that no one has mentioned is Johan Santana. He came to the Mets 2 seasons ago as the best pitcher in baseball and led the league in ERA (IMO was the Cy Young that season.) Last season he was dominant until he tried pitching through injury.

This season he's given up 2 or fewer runs in 7 of the 10 games he's pitched and his ERA would be sparkling if not for the 10 run game he had. Even with that it is 3.41. He's also cut back on his homers allowed. He's allowed 6 total in 10 starts (which is great for him) and 4 of those came in that one disaster of a game. Throw in the fact he's always been a second half pitcher and I would not be surprised if he won it should Ubaldo falter.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
It's obvious that Jiminez will not maintain that obscene ERA. He is 24th in the NL in K/BB, T-11th in Ks, and 10th in GO/AO. At some point something will have to give. I mean his ERA, ERA+, W/L and WHIP are incredible, but I just see him having a few rough games mixed in. If his team wins the division, then I see a Cy on his mantle, even if he is way off the leaders in Ks.

Members online

Latest posts