Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

delsant2's David Wright Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Hello everyone! With new cards arriving very slowly these days, I have been spending a lot of time just going through my collection and enjoying the cards. I kept falling in love again with many of the cards I kinda "forgot" I had, since it had been a while that I gave the collection a thorough look through. I have put this collection together over 15 years thus far and genuinely have enjoyed the highs and lows. I figured I would share some of my stuff with you all.

I suppose I consider myself a Wright "super collector" of sorts. Maybe, I don't know what the true definition really is, but I certainly have amassed quite a bit of stuff. I collect cards up through 2012 (and some other bits and bobs). I stopped at 2012 because I just noticed the hobby going in a crazy direction and I didn't care much to follow. It was getting very complex and saturated with autos/parallels/product/etc and I just couldn't keep up (I can probably blame this partially on the Topps monopoly a bit, who knows). Generally, I think I will post a few cards a couple of times every day or so, so as not to just overwhelm all at once. I'll start around the early years and move forward from there.

First up, a couple of 2001 rookie cards. A raw card, two 10's from the two most popular grading companies and an early IP signature. I would love to get a BGS 10 with all 10 subgrades one day, if such a thing exists.
Resized_20210701_205856.jpeg

I don't usually collect IP autos, but I couldn't pass these few up. Early signature on a 2002 UD minor league card, more common signature on the 2002 Topps Total and a very strange auto on this 2002 Just card. A few notes on that 2002 Just card.....the auto looks true, very similar to some of his earlier buy back autos on Topps/Bowman Sterling and Bowman Original products. I think the serial numbering is bogus (looks as if the ink is different on the signature.....although it is not completely impossible that pens were switched, ink ran out, etc). I saw a handful of these pop up on eBay a while back. I never heard anything about them, couldn't find any information about them. For less than 10 dollars shipped, I figured I would add one just because.
Resized_20210701_210222.jpeg

I hope I don't lose you guys on this journey. I know those weren't the most glamorous cards to start with. Yeah, I have fancy patches, 1/1's, and the likes, but I thought I'd go somewhat chronologically in order. Hopefully some of you enjoy checking my stuff out. Comments, thoughts, etc are definitely welcome!!!

Cheers, Mark

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Can't wait to see more of your collection. A lot of those Just cards are very...suspicious. Not that I'm worried the autographs are phony or anything, but it seems like a lot of those sets just appeared out of nowhere years after they were supposedly released. I'm wondering if they went under and were purchased, then whoever bought their stuff had a bunch of Just auto stickers lying around so they printed up cards to put them on and pretended they were existing unreleased stock. At leaswt that's my half-baked theory.

Anyways, related to this thread, one of my favorite cards from my Eric Chavez collection:

05ultdualjsysigcw.jpg

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. I've showed this card before. Still one of my favorite pulls ever. Hard to believe it was 11 years ago.
2010 Bowman Platinum Hexagraph 1/6
Hexagraph 1.jpg
Hexagraph 2.jpgHexagraph 3.jpg

Last edited:

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Can't wait to see more of your collection. A lot of those Just cards are very...suspicious. Not that I'm worried the autographs are phony or anything, but it seems like a lot of those sets just appeared out of nowhere years after they were supposedly released. I'm wondering if they went under and were purchased, then whoever bought their stuff had a bunch of Just auto stickers lying around so they printed up cards to put them on and pretended they were existing unreleased stock. At leaswt that's my half-baked theory.

Anyways, related to this thread, one of my favorite cards from my Eric Chavez collection:

View attachment 136232
They are suspicious, aren't they!? I have seen some of other players that are sticker autos from different years, and it seems at times a seller has many many copies, which is always a strange thing to see. I like your half-baked theory, maybe it is true to a degree.

And thanks for sharing that dual with Chavez! I am very.....jealous isn't the right word....very excited to see it. I don't own one of those, so I would love to one day add one. I have a few other dual's /10 from the 05 Ultimate Collection, but not a Chavez. Great stuff!
Very cool. I love Player Collection threads. Keep 'em coming.
Thank you! Definitely more coming! Slowly but surely.
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. I've showed this card before. Still one of my favorite pulls ever. Hard to believe it was 11 years ago.
2010 Bowman Platinum Hexagraph 1/6
View attachment 136241
View attachment 136242View attachment 136243
Woo-dang, what a nice card! Can't believe you pulled it yourself, very neat! And I don't mind you, or others sharing some of your Wrights, that is not just ok, it is encouraged!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Sticking with the earlier years, and piggybacking off the talk of Just cards, here are the 2002 Just certified auto releases.....base /500, silver /375, gold /100, and black /25. They are all on card, which is nice!
Resized_20210702_141608.jpegResized_20210702_141637.jpeg

Only other special minor league card released is a 2003 Grandstand certified auto /200.
Resized_20210702_141702.jpegResized_20210702_141713.jpeg

That's mainly it for minor league cards. I do have maybe another 15-20 minor league cards of his, which are just base releases, parallels, and promos, but I don't think I am going to post EVERY card I have of his, lest I put you all to sleep from boredom! I'll stick to the slightly more flashy stuff. Moving on to the 2002 rookies from the more mainstream card sets next time.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
So you're the man to ask about this card.
Looks like the team set version except for that Shea Stadium logo.
Any idea?View attachment 136253View attachment 136254View attachment 136255

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
You know what's funny? That is 3 Wright cards posted by other members so far, NONE of which I have!

I wish I could tell you more than you already know. It is a team set release, however, it does differ from the normal team sets you would find at retail stores in that it has the silver foil Shea Stadium stamp. I think I remember a while back you had posted asking about this card, and no one knew anything. I do know, and I think it was covered in that thread, if I remember correctly, that the Yankees have a similar team set with a silver foil stamp commemorating the old Yankee Stadium. If I had to guess, and it's probably a poor guess, I would think it might have been some small scale release, maybe at the stadium concessions or something. I really don't know, sorry. Yours in the only Mets one I have seen, and I have only seen a few Yankees cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sticking with the earlier years, and piggybacking off the talk of Just cards, here are the 2002 Just certified auto releases.....base /500, silver /375, gold /100, and black /25. They are all on card, which is nice!
View attachment 136248View attachment 136249

Only other special minor league card released is a 2003 Grandstand certified auto /200.
View attachment 136250View attachment 136251

That's mainly it for minor league cards. I do have maybe another 15-20 minor league cards of his, which are just base releases, parallels, and promos, but I don't think I am going to post EVERY card I have of his, lest I put you all to sleep from boredom! I'll stick to the slightly more flashy stuff. Moving on to the 2002 rookies from the more mainstream card sets next time.
I ended up winning a complete set of the /100 Just autographs, all the same serial number. it was very strange at the time and I made the assumption that they were either extra stock or someone hd an inside "in", the way Pacific Trading Cards of the early 90s seemed to end up in large batches in certain people's hands. That set had a solid checklist, especially for my collecting interests. I think I only ended up with a dozen or so that i really didn't want, maybe less.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Yup that Wright is in the Beckett database as "2008 Mets Topps Commemorative Shea Stadium Stamp" with a stated print run of 18,000. In case you were wondering, the value is "$n/a".

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's few modern day rookie cards that look better than the 2001 prospect Premieres.

Funny thing is the Subway Series patch on his sleeve, considering he wasn't even drafted yet (but I understand why he's wearing it).

Thanks all on the help with my wright stamp card. Figured it was part of a set as I have several other players with the same stamp. You'd think they'd show up often with a print run of 18k.

I'm a Yankee fan and Wright's black jersey was the ONLY jersey I've ever seriously considered buying who wasn't a yank.

Keep posting more wright cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There's few modern day rookie cards that look better than the 2001 prospect Premieres.

Funny thing is the Subway Series patch on his sleeve, considering he wasn't even drafted yet (but I understand why he's wearing it).

Thanks all on the help with my wright stamp card. Figured it was part of a set as I have several other players with the same stamp. You'd think they'd show up often with a print run of 18k.

I'm a Yankee fan and Wright's black jersey was the ONLY jersey I've ever seriously considered buying who wasn't a yank.

Keep posting more wright cards.

I just discovered a similar set of Topps Dodgers, with a 35 year anniversary of Dodger Stadium emblem on them. Had never seen them before and a seller was selling singles. I would like to find a full set, but they do not seem to exist otherwise outside of this one guy!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
I ended up winning a complete set of the /100 Just autographs, all the same serial number. it was very strange at the time and I made the assumption that they were either extra stock or someone hd an inside "in", the way Pacific Trading Cards of the early 90s seemed to end up in large batches in certain people's hands. That set had a solid checklist, especially for my collecting interests. I think I only ended up with a dozen or so that i really didn't want, maybe less.
Yeah, that type of thing is pretty curious, all having the same serial number and such. Either way, the autos are certainly legit and I'm glad the set was a winner in terms of who was included!
I'm pretty sure this was a limited print run (18,000 maybe?) made for sale at Shea.
Yup that Wright is in the Beckett database as "2008 Mets Topps Commemorative Shea Stadium Stamp" with a stated print run of 18,000. In case you were wondering, the value is "$n/a".
Ah, nice, so my guess wasn't all that off perhaps. And thanks for clearing that up. Good gosh, considering there are potentially 18,000 sets, I am surprised I have never come across another. I'm pretty diligent in how I browse, so I would be shocked if I just missed one thinking it was a regular issue Topps card. Hmmmmm, the search continues then.
Here's what I have:

Great stuff, nice looking IP signatures! Will post more of my stuff shortly!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
On to 2002 Bowman and Bowman Chrome......where perhaps his "holy grail" card exists, at least in terms of rookie cards anyway.

The little Bowman Chrome rainbow; base, refractor, x-fractor and gold refractor.
Resized_20210703_205936.jpeg

There's also this neat facsimile signature card as well as the uncirculated copy of the base autograph. The crappy thing about these uncirculated copies is that you can never be truly sure that it is a legitimate "uncirculated" copy, save for pulling it yourself. There are only supposed to be 10 copies, and I have definitely seen more than that in circulation. Dishonest folks would simply substitute a lesser player for a base Wright auto and try to sell it for a premium. I imagine the Joe Mauer folks would have this same issue.
Resized_20210703_210026.jpeg

Finally there are the standard Bowman cards; base, gold and uncirculated copies. Suppose the same issue might exists for the uncirculated copies here, but probably less likely considering the margin for profiting is much less than the chrome autographs.
Resized_20210703_210127.jpeg

That's all for tonight. Thanks for checking them out!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Early posting tonight, so everyone can go enjoy the fireworks!

2002 Topps Pristine had 9, yes 9 different rookies. Luckily, they weren't too difficult to track down, although the gold refractors weren't the easiest things to find. The base cards consisted of a "common" version, and "uncommon" version /1999, and a "rare" version /799. There were also uncirculated refractor cards of each base card, /1999, /799, /149 respectively. Lastly, there was a gold refractor card of each base card, each /70 and with die cut edging.
Resized_20210703_232310.jpeg
Resized_20210703_232355.jpeg
Resized_20210703_232450.jpeg

Also forgot to add this guy a few posts back. Back to those 2002 Just minor league cards, they did issue their printing plates in uncirculated form through beckett holders. I only have the black one.
Resized_20210703_232217.jpeg

delsant2

May 29, 2010
The dang 02 Pristine gold refractors didn't fit in magnetic holders due to the die cut edges. So top loaders it was!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Love 2002 Pristine. There's one A's RC in the set and I just now have the 9th card incoming to complete him. Still missing one refractor and one gold refractor from the non-RCs, though.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Love 2002 Pristine. There's one A's RC in the set and I just now have the 9th card incoming to complete him. Still missing one refractor and one gold refractor from the non-RCs, though.
Nicely done! The Dan Johnson, I would assume?

And oh great, almost done then. Hopefully those last two find their way to you soon!

Members online

Latest posts