Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did I sell too early? You be the judge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Stumbled across an ebay listing of a Mike Trout 2009 Bowman Sterling Auto and it brought back some bad memories...

What was a sale you look back on and makes you hate yourself? haha

INrzwju.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
At one point, I owned at least one copy of the Cognac, the Diamond Platinum, the Walmart Blue, and Target Red 2011 Update Trout. Not to mention however many base Trouts. I bought a metric **** ton on Update on release, a further **** ton when those famous Mega Boxes went on clearance, and yet another **** ton when you could find clearance blasters of Update for $10 at Walmart and Target. I doubt I sold them all for more than $100 combined.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Stumbled across an ebay listing of a Mike Trout 2009 Bowman Sterling Auto and it brought back some bad memories...

INrzwju.jpg

I sold mine for $5,400 last fall and you could make the case that I sold too early as well. I hope that there has been many, many other times that you have sold cards for good money that are now worthless and that it all averages out.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I guess I'm lucky I've never had one that bad, unless you count the time I sold a Ryan rookie in 1985 for $30, which was good money for a 15-yo at the time, even though I probably got rooked hard by the dealer. I rarely have the problem of selling too soon, I'm usually way too late, and way too often I am still the end-user of said card. Even now, in the middle of the biggest bull market in the hobby's history, I just cannot sit my butt down and start scanning and listing. A couple years from now I will look back and want to kick myself so hard I'd still be feeling it there 2 years in the future.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Mine is still a 10-box Unopened Hobby case of 2009 Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects that I sold in 2012 at the National in Baltimore, which was right before I walked away from the hobby for 6 years.

The most recent box on eBay sold for $7,900. Sellers are asking over $10,000 per box.

So I don't hate myself for the sale because when I sold the case for $2,000 it was a good price at the time.
But who knew things were going to go absolutely ballistic after that.

That one will probably always sting a little bit because I have no doubt it would easily go for 6 figures now! Ughh..

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
At one point, I owned at least one copy of the Cognac, the Diamond Platinum, the Walmart Blue, and Target Red 2011 Update Trout. Not to mention however many base Trouts. I bought a metric **** ton on Update on release, a further **** ton when those famous Mega Boxes went on clearance, and yet another **** ton when you could find clearance blasters of Update for $10 at Walmart and Target. I doubt I sold them all for more than $100 combined.
Wow! It's amazing what prices were back then.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
Since it seems like hardly anyone posts on the football board here, I'll post mine here which I don't think anyone will top.

I had 2- ungraded 2000 Playoff Contenders Tom Brady autographed rookie cards back in 2006 that I thought had a good chance to grade a PSA 10. Unfortunately I never sent them in for grading and found myself in a bind needing money quickly while in college so I was forced to sell both for $700 apiece. I saw a PSA 10 Contenders Brady RC sell for $125,000 not too long ago. Ouch.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Speaking of Brady, I overheard this story at a shop a few years ago. The owner knew a guy who was looking to buy bulk Bowman Chrome football rookies, and he had an agreement to buy 100 of one particular card (I don't remember who), but the seller made him buy a 100-count lot of another "worthless" RC in order to get the lot he wanted. The "worthless" RC was, of course, Tom Brady, and the guy who bought that lot made a cool $100 by selling them all at a show for $1 each (more than they were actually worth, apparently, but dealers bought them to put in their Patriots boxes).

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Since it seems like hardly anyone posts on the football board here, I'll post mine here which I don't think anyone will top.

I had 2- ungraded 2000 Playoff Contenders Tom Brady autographed rookie cards back in 2006 that I thought had a good chance to grade a PSA 10. Unfortunately I never sent them in for grading and found myself in a bind needing money quickly while in college so I was forced to sell both for $700 apiece. I saw a PSA 10 Contenders Brady RC sell for $125,000 not too long ago. Ouch.
Ouch is right. College makes us do some knee jerk stuff. I can attest to that lol

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The card market today is hotter than it has ever been. There’s been a huge influx of investment money following on the tails of people doubling down on hobbies during covid since they could not go to events, eat out, travel etc. Right now it all looks bad.

Maybe the high prices last, but there’s a chance they don’t.

I’d rather be the guy who sold for $1000 and later saw it hit $10,000 than the guy who sold at $10,000 and later saw it hit $1,000.

That said, I sold a large stash of rookie autos of Pujols, Miggy Cabrera etc that are prob all worth 3x-5x what I sold for. Painful thing is that I had been buying those for a long time (years) thinking they were undervalued, but finally gave up on them as moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

farmboy8940

Apr 19, 2012
I rarely sell anything but I did sell most of my Mahomes RC’s because I couldn’t fathom what his cards were bringing when he hadn’t played. Worst was an NT RPA 3 color /99 which now sells raw for 50K+. I sold mine for 2900. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I passed buying the 2011 Finest Trout Super auto for $11.5k several years ago. Probably a $250,000 card now

Sold a Gretzky OPC for $2100 that was later crossed to a PSA 9. $100k card now

Sold 09 Trout Blue ref auto for $4k. $75k+ now

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I think we all have similar Trout stories. I know I had at least 1 Chrome, a few Elites and Sterlings, and a few Platinums. If I sold any of them for over $150, I'd be shocked. Hell, with the amount of 2010 BCDP I opened, I probably divested about $10K worth of Trout "RC" at maybe $10/card, maybe.

Conversely, I know I sold a bunch of Jonathan Lucroy high end when he was the hottest catcher in baseball. Like a Chrome Red 5/5 for $400 that I don't think you could get $20 for today.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Ugh...I feel you. I cringe whenever I see Frank Thomas NNOF sales. I bought a BGS 8.5 in 2012 for $1800, had no choice but to sell it a year later for $2000, and then he was inducted a year later and the sales skyrocketed. Not even sure what an 8.5 goes for nowadays but I see a 6.5 listed at $11k. SMH

INrzwju.jpg

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I rarely sell anything but I did sell most of my Mahomes RC’s because I couldn’t fathom what his cards were bringing when he hadn’t played. Worst was an NT RPA 3 color /99 which now sells raw for 50K+. I sold mine for 2900. Ugh

I don't feel so bad now. I still don't think that anyone can top my 2000 Contenders Tom Brady auto sales but it's comforting to know that others have made similar bad decisions.

Members online

Latest posts