Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do 1998 Pacific Online Winners Exist for All Players?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Rich Garces just popped up on COMC. Seller thinks he can get $229 for it, but I'm gonna say we'll still see that card listed at the same price 5 years from now.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That's how much the Mike Caruso single that was listed up thread is listed for on eBay and he said he'd likely pay that just to have an A's players, even if it was a common.
Ah, thank you.

AnD $229 for a Rich Garces. I doubt Rich Garces would pay that for his own card, even if he collected cards! WTH?!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Either I missed something said earlier or this is a very odd way of making an offer. If I had that card, you would be the new owner in a heartbeat at $115 if that is a legit offer! I might have offered something like that for sale for a buck or two even, had I not known any better. Everyone likes money, but I am not sure I would feel good asking that kind of money for one if I had it. I just don't get the draw, especially for a common. Even marked 1/1s sell for under $10 sometimes. I do know your dedication to A's cards, so I see it more for you than most, but still...$115? Seriously?

Ha as @WizardofOz1982 mentioned I said I'd probably pay $115 for an A's common, so I was putting my money where my mouth is even though I'm not super excited about Jack Voigt. Would not pay that much for most 1/1's but this is a set where so few cards are known to exist that it would be cool to own one.

Jtams24

Feb 27, 2021
Either I missed something said earlier or this is a very odd way of making an offer. If I had that card, you would be the new owner in a heartbeat at $115 if that is a legit offer! I might have offered something like that for sale for a buck or two even, had I not known any better. Everyone likes money, but I am not sure I would feel good asking that kind of money for one if I had it. I just don't get the draw, especially for a common. Even marked 1/1s sell for under $10 sometimes. I do know your dedication to A's cards, so I see it more for you than most, but still...$115? Seriously?

I certainly understand the appeal to sell for that much, but honestly, the story of how I got the card, and figuring out all these years later that it’s relatively unique makes it priceless for me.

@Dilferules I appreciate the offer(?) but I’m definitely more excited about the story.

Thank you to those who have kept this thread updated over the years. This is pretty much the single best source for information on these cards, and I wouldn’t have had any idea what kind of story I had without y’all.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Whew I don't "have to" shell out $115 for a Jack Voigt card! Would have been a good story on my end, too.

Now just wait, next week somebody is going to show up with a Mike Oquist or Dave Telgheder Winners card.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Nah a COMC 1/1 is when it's a card that's easily available on eBay, Beckett, and Sportlots for 50 cents but the seller prices it at $40 because they have a "COMC Monopoly." Or even better when it's a 2020 card that has 50 copies for sale at a dollar but the seller prices theirs at $40 because they have the only one in EX-NM condition.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yes. I think that's a better description of COMC 1/1 - and the syndrome that affects these sellers :)

Nah a COMC 1/1 is when it's a card that's easily available on eBay, Beckett, and Sportlots for 50 cents but the seller prices it at $40 because they have a "COMC Monopoly." Or even better when it's a 2020 card that has 50 copies for sale at a dollar but the seller prices theirs at $40 because they have the only one in EX-NM condition.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

*cough*JoelShitShow*cough*

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Oh behave :)
It is interesting how certain seller have settled into niches for themselves like commons, oddball, high end, unopened, regional, etc. Then you have the people who seem to be ridiculously priced in whatever they sell and everyone knows who they are, but yet they somehow remain in business. Perhaps they get enough sales at higher prices, or have a steady stream of customers at more reasonable levels from elsewhere. Hard to say much without really knowing what kind of sales volume or margins they have but there are definitely a handful that are the joke of the hobby. Then again...maybe the joke is on everyone else?

Random thought about price. I was selling some mostly offgrade vintage cards for someone somewhat recently (I think everything finally sold by 2019 or early-mod 2020, I know I offered them here too) and I was feeling like I was not getting much action. I was going to sold auctions and setting my opening bid prices below final results of similar cards, but often someone would get a steal at opening price. I struggled to sell many w/o dropping prices below what I thought was fair and the one that sticks with me the most, because of the card but also because it went last, was a very decent 1954 Topps Jackie Robinson. I think in the end, it went for around $75! Fast forward to now and I think the same card is consistently selling in the $200-300 in the same condition as the one I offered. Timing is often everything, that is for sure.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
There can be a lot of reasons for crazy pricing. There's the people who don't really want to sell the card but they'll list it super high because like the Million Dollar Man says, everybody's got a price. I would never sell my Trent Dilfer collection...but if somebody offered me a million dollars for it you bet your ass I'd sell it. There's the people who know they are the only game in town for that card so they'll price it high hoping a sucker will eventually come along. I've been that sucker more than once, so it works sometimes! Then there are the total wusses that are terrified of ever leaving money on the table. "This person's offering me $100 but what if one person on the planet in the next hundred years is willing to pay $150!?! No sale." Like the dealers at a card show with no prices on the cards, who will never tell you a price when asked - they want you to make an offer because there might be the slightest chance your offer will be a couple dollars over what they are thinking.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Funny you mention the no price thing. I rarely ever even bothered asking at shops or shows with no prices, I just looked and walked away. Maybe that strategy works for some, but not me. I don't have nor do I want to expend the time to ask what every single item I might want costs. If you are trying to sell something, you show your price. That is how it works in most cases.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It is very interesting what people will pay for some stuff. Let's assume that just about every online winner card to surface is a 1/1, given the scarcity of copies in general. Does a regular factory 1/1 Clemens base/parallel card sell for anywhere close to $300? The more collected, the higher the prices probably go. You'll get those weird fringe player circumstances now and again, like Vizquel/Galarraga a few years back or some Garvey battles I have witnessed and/or participated in, but most of the time the 1/1 prices seems to mirror the level of greatness of the player depicted.

I realize that since around 97/98, the 1/1 has slowly been watered down almost to the point where most don't even care about them. We saw them go from amazingly rare and incredibly desired (like the first Flair Masterpiece cards), to seeing 20-30 different 1/1s of any given popular playing in the mid 2000s (Donruss, I am talking about you!) to it being an expected thing that most cards also have an elusive 1/1 version to chase as well, but the total numbers climbing into the 1000s of 1/1 issued each year!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm just amazed that the seller listed it for only $300. And then accepted a best offer! That card could have easily sold for many times more.

bighurt

Oct 10, 2017
Maine
I won the Clemens and just received it in the mail today. As a fairly advanced Clemens collector, I am absolutely over the moon. I am honestly not sure why I didn't immediately mash on the BIN and instead tried a BO I do not know. habit I guess. Had I missed it because of that it would have been a hard one to get over. The seller and I ended up negotiating for a price significantly lower than the original BIN. I do not believe he knew just how rare the card is. He said he was the original owner, having redeemed the card himself back in 98. he recently went through his old cards and found the clemens. I am not sure what market value would be due to rarity, but I believe banjar to be correct. a 1/1 flair masterpiece of Clemens sold in early summer I believe for $2500.00

I would imagine this one to be either 1/1 or 1/2

Members online

Latest posts