Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you miss Upper Deck

Do you miss Upper Deck poll

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Re: Do you miss Upper Deck poll

Yeah good stuff, I see where you're coming from. Usually value is an indication of worth - sometimes that worth comes from investment interest (or money as per your post) sometimes from collector interest (not money/investment), although obviously there could be some degree of overlap. But with fewer issues both collector interest and investor interest are heightened for any particular card...there are just fewer alternatives to draw away a finite amount of interest.

My post was just in response to yours (which you didn't include in your quote below) which spoke about money. I can't help but think sellers in the short-term would've jacked up prices on all products so long as interest remained high, whether that interest remained high for one month or six and contained one product or twenty, I agree sellers generally try to max profit.

JoshHamilton said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
Fewer products today should also help to increase the future value of Stras and anyone/anything else.

Ok, half the time you talk about value being important and half the time you talk about value being irrelevant to 'true' collectors.

Which one is it?

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW

Yeah good stuff, I see where you're coming from. Usually value is an indication of worth - sometimes that worth comes from investment interest (or money as per your post) sometimes from collector interest (not money/investment), although obviously there could be some degree of overlap. But with fewer issues both collector interest and investor interest are heightened for any particular card...there are just fewer alternatives to draw away a finite amount of interest.

My post was just in response to yours (which you didn't include in your quote below) which spoke about money. I can't help but think sellers in the short-term would've jacked up prices on all products so long as interest remained high, whether that interest remained high for one month or six and contained one product or twenty, I agree sellers generally try to max profit.

JoshHamilton said:
Fewer products today should also help to increase the future value of Stras and anyone/anything else.

Ok, half the time you talk about value being important and half the time you talk about value being irrelevant to 'true' collectors.

Which one is it?

have you ever sold your cards for a profit?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009

JoshHamilton said:
Yes.

Not having Upper Deck is costing collectors money. Less product + the Strasburg mania means every product from here on out will cost more. Supply and demand.

It's funny, no Upper Deck has actually SAVED me money. This is probably the least wax I have bought in the last ten years.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

I've pruned my collection by selling and trading to big online vendors a couple times, most likely for pretty big losses. I don't keep expense or revenue reports so I don't know how much I've lost. Not that it matters in this post however :)

miguelcabrera said:
have you ever sold your cards for a profit?

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009

Absolutely. I highly prefer UD to Topps from a collecting standpoint. Obviously, from a prospecting/investing perspective, not having UD to compete with helps drive up prices, but my Beckett PC wishes UD was still produced.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

This is what I find interesting, I sometimes wonder if any number of cards would be enough for some collectors, for some "too much is never enough" :)

According to Beckett, there are about 100 cards to chase of your player so far this year and we're half way through the season.

Jays_Cards said:
Absolutely. I highly prefer UD to Topps from a collecting standpoint. Obviously, from a prospecting/investing perspective, not having UD to compete with helps drive up prices, but my Beckett PC wishes UD was still produced.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009

This is what I find interesting, I sometimes wonder if any number of cards would be enough for some collectors, for some "too much is never enough" :)

According to Beckett, there are about 100 cards to chase of your player so far this year and we're half way through the season.

Jays_Cards said:

I enjoy the chase more so than the completion percentage. There is no number of releases, as long as the cards remained of high quality and of low print run, that would be too much for me.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

gracecollector said:
Not as much as Donruss/Playoff/Leaf, more than Pacific, and a lot more than Fleer.
This about sums it up 100% for me.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

Jays_Cards said:

[quote="Jays_Cards":1ulpuxlk]Absolutely. I highly prefer UD to Topps from a collecting standpoint. Obviously, from a prospecting/investing perspective, not having UD to compete with helps drive up prices, but my Beckett PC wishes UD was still produced.

I enjoy the chase more so than the completion percentage. There is no number of releases, as long as the cards remained of high quality and of low print run, that would be too much for me.[/quote:1ulpuxlk]

And like you said, to many player collectors UD is better than Topps from a quality standpoint. It doesn't matter if there are 50, 100, or 1000 cards to chase each year. None of us are going to get them all, so we chase the ones we like the most. For me, that was always UD.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
No

Nice to see a strong hobby again. Not watered down with crap coming out every week. I love the wait and hype now for each release. Instead of oh I didn't even know this stuff was out and rotting on shelfs.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
matchpenalty said:
No

Nice to see a strong hobby again. Not watered down with crap coming out every week. I love the wait and hype now for each release. Instead of oh I didn't even know this stuff was out and rotting on shelfs.

In my opinion the hobby is strong right now because of this years Rookies, not because of what Topp's has done or that it isn't being watered down by Upper Deck/Pannini/DLP.
Seriously, if there was no Strasburg along with a nicer sized crop of Rookies performing well, I think there'd be a few boxes left to rot on the shelves.
The few times that I've stopped at my hobby shop I ended up picking up more football packs because I'm bored with what Topps has out and what my shop has available.
Admittedly I'm still a little PO'd over the RC logo BS and I've always had terrible luck with Topps products.
All in all.......variety is a good thing.
David

drays4life

Sep 14, 2008
Personally, I'm bored. If you aren't into prospects, it has been slow collecting so far. The player collecting is easier, sure, but its almost pitiful. I know my guys aren't exactly superstars, but there haven't been many choices and I am just buying the stuff to keep the collection up to date - nothing has been exciting except for the rookies. Thats just my opinion. I always preferred UD just based on higher end stuff and design. I realize they were idiots and perhaps thieves and they screwed some people. Its too bad that collectors got caught in the mess.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Yes. I miss having more choices. Who knows, maybe they would have made nothing but crap this year. But I'd rather have the choice not to buy their products than have them be gone.

Members online

Latest posts