Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Drool: UD 500 Club Ruth Bat / Cut on the Bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
A big time card dealer who I see set up at the Mansfield show in Mass that a lot of people here know has either 1 or 2 of these. This guy comes to shows with just huge cards and at one time he had in his display case, the Josh Gibson SP Legendary Cuts auto /1. I think he sold that for like $50K. He said the Ruth/'s? are the only cards he will never take out of his safety deposit box.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Between that and the Ruth/Aaron/Mays Triple that just ended, some 500 Club collector could be very happy.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
I think that card is an abomination. It's one thing to destroy a modern game used bat, but it pains me to see one in that apparent condition being chopped up and embedded in cardboard. You've all heard it all before; sorry about that. Carry on ....

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
/10 said:
I think that card is an abomination. It's one thing to destroy a modern game used bat, but it pains me to see one in that apparent condition being chopped up and embedded in cardboard. You've all heard it all before; sorry about that. Carry on ....

Welcome to 15 years ago.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Now my high-end card memories are pretty lousy. But IF I remember correctly, a local guy (related to 707 Sportscards if you know that name) pulled one when this card came out.

He sold it via auction in Chicago. My memory says "Heritage" but not sure. IF I remember right he got $23,000 for it.

I also know of former SUPER high-end collector who was working on the POH auto set and made a deal for the Killebrew /3 'cuz he had acquired a Ruth. Now I'm know I'm going on his word, but he never gave me a reason to not believe his word.

Dec 18, 2008
Does anyone have any old information on this card? I have seen the other 2, at least the front and they both have the auto as GH Ruth, not Babe Ruth. Also the McWilliam auto on the reverse looks nothing like any other McWilliam auto that I have seen, does anyone have any examples of his auto that look like the one on the reverse of this card?

Here is a pic of another Ruth...

1999_UD_500HR_Bat_Babe_Ruth_Auto___.jpg

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I have to agree, that picture looks nothing like the actual scan that was listed on eBay yesterday. If I remember correctly somewhere in early 2000, Beckett did an article on these cards and digital rendering of the Babe Ruth. I know I have the magazine at my parents house, I just have no clue where it is.

Dec 18, 2008
You are right, that is a stock photo, but I know who owns the other 2 and they say GH Ruth...doesn't make much sense that the 3rd one would be Babe Ruth instead...

If anyone has any old information or old pics I'd really like to see them.

Thanks!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
rarecardcollector said:
You are right, that is a stock photo, but I know who owns the other 2 and they say GH Ruth...doesn't make much sense that the 3rd one would be Babe Ruth instead...

If anyone has any old information or old pics I'd really like to see them.

Thanks!
Over the years Upper Deck has had many "Babe" Ruth one's and many "G.H. Ruth" cuts. Not sure that they ever really cared about which they used.

Members online

Latest posts