Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Error and Variations Guide Book

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
If you search for the words 1992 Pinnacle Promo Dealer in the sold listings you'll see these two:

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
If you search for the words 1992 Pinnacle Promo Dealer in the sold listings you'll see these two:

Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You can search completed auctions by keyword, if you know something from the title.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.29.19 AM.png

Jan 14, 2009

Oh wow! Thank you.

I could’ve sworn I had been bidding on these but I must have just watched them and missed on the end since they look to have sold to the lone bidder.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
No, that is not established at all. The E&V guidebook says there are subtle photo cropping differences and some color differences on the front name bar. But the photos in the sold listing are too grainy to tell for sure. It is an open question so far.

So there's no difference between 1992 pinnacle promos and base?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So here's that 1996 Pacific Promo I mentioned in the OP. It just arrived today, and coincidentally I'm at that exact point in my scanning project. So here are the scans of the 1996 Pacific promo and pack-issued cards. In addition to the 128 versus 130 games played, the photo on the back is noticeably larger on the promo. I don't know why they shrank it for the pack-issued card...the promo looked better to my eye.

Promo:
1996 Pacific Promo #450.jpg

Pack-issued:
1996 Pacific #450.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well I splurged and bought a lot of early 90's Score/Pinnacle dealer promo kits, which includes the 1992 Pinnacle kit. So when it gets here I'll have a close look to see if any of these cards have noticeable differences from the pack-issued ones. Will post the results!

watch.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, I got those promo kits. The only difference I can see between the pack-issued Alomar and the promo is that on the front side, the TM text (2 places) and the SECOND BASE text is ever so slightly thinner on the promo. This is also true for the other 7 cards in the promo set. Also, when I compare the Alomar promo to my 8 pack-issued duplicates, the pack-issued cards all have thicker text.

Does this count as a real promo variation? I dunno. For my part I am counting it and adding it as a unique card in my PC checklist. But you be the judge. Below are the scans, top is promo and bottom is pack-issued. Believe it or not, the difference actually shows up better by eye than in the scans. The TM by the Pinnacle is most representative of the differences as seen in-hand.

The other 7 cards in the 1992 Pinnacle promo set are Strawberry, Sandberg, Lankford, Thomas, Mussina, Fielder, and Sierra if anyone wants one. See post below for prices and for what's sold already.

1992 Pinnacle Promo #45.jpg

1992 Pinnacle #45.jpg

Update: I went and compared all 8 cards in the 1992 Pinnacle Promo set to their pack-issued counterparts. I see obvious cropping differences on the Mussina and Sierra, but not so much on the others. Maybe a few others have small differences, but they are small.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
In a related note, the 1992 Pinnacle dealer kit includes a 4-page fold-out brochure. One page of this brochure is pimping the "Shades" subset, and they included the Alomar card as an example. The interesting thing is that the "reflection" photo in the sunglasses differs from the actual pack-issued card. The orientation, cropping, and shading of the head shot are different too.

This is totally obscure, but I think it's interesting to get a little behind the scenes look at how card companies tweak designs prior to final release.

1.jpg

shades.jpg

Jan 14, 2009
Well, I got those promo kits. The only difference I can see between the pack-issued Alomar and the promo is that on the front side, the TM text (2 places) and the SECOND BASE text is ever so slightly thinner on the promo. This is also true for the other 7 cards in the promo set. Also, when I compare the Alomar promo to my 8 pack-issued duplicates, the pack-issued cards all have thicker text.

Does this count as a real promo variation? I dunno. For my part I am counting it and adding it as a unique card in my PC checklist. But you be the judge. Below are the scans, top is promo and bottom is pack-issued. Believe it or not, the difference actually shows up better by eye than in the scans. The TM by the Pinnacle is most representative of the differences as seen in-hand.

The other 7 cards in the 1992 Pinnacle promo set are Strawberry, Sandberg, Lankford, Thomas, Mussina, Fielder, and Sierra if anyone wants one. $8 shipped PWE, or $12 bubble mailer with tracking.

View attachment 122764

View attachment 122765

Update: I went and compared all 8 cards in the 1992 Pinnacle Promo set to their pack-issued counterparts. I see obvious cropping differences on the Mussina and Sierra, but not so much on the others. Maybe a few others have small differences, but they are small.
PM sent.

Also, I recall that when i went over the scans of this kit, I couldn’t find the Grips card they show. Maybe it was nixed?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
OK so here's what I learned about early 90's Score/Pinnacle promos during tonight's trip down the rabbit hole. If you want any of them, prices below are with PWE shipping. Add $6 for bubble mailer and tracking (I know that's steep but that's what the PO charges for mailer + tracking when I walk in. I almost never sell cards and do not have a more efficient shipping system). PM me if interested.

1) The 1993 Score Promo set is Travis Fryman, Cal Ripken Jr, Darren Daulton, Ryne Sandberg, Frank Thomas, Roger Clemens, Bobby Bonilla, and Ken Griffey Jr. Most cards have noticeable photo cropping differences, but to my eye there is no difference in the Fryman or Clemens.
Ripken $20
Thomas $20
Sandberg $15
Others (incl Griffey and Clemens) $10

2) The 1992 Pinnacle set has 8 promo cards. Roberto Alomar, Darryl Strawberry, Ryne Sandberg, Ray Lankford, Frank Thomas, Mike Mussina, Cecil Fielder, Ruben Sierra. Cropping-wise, I only see definite differences on the Mussina and Sierra. However the two "TM"s on the front (near team name and Pinnacle logo) appear to be slightly thinner text in the promo versions. The player's position on the front also looks thinner on all promos.
All cards $8 (Alomar not for sale)
SOLD: Thomas, Sandberg

3) There is also a 1993 Pinnacle set with 8 promo cards. Larry Walker, Deion Sanders, Gary Sheffield, Cal Eldred, Dave Fleming, Carlos Baerga, Bernie Williams, John Kruk. The only photo cropping differences I see are Kruk, Baerga, Sheffield. However all promos have a noticeably larger TM text on the front, near the team name.
Walker $15
Others $10

4) The 1993 Select promo set is also 8 cards. John Smiley, Rob Dibble, Don Mattingly, Brady Anderson, Gary Sheffield, Sandy Alomar Jr, Robin Yount, Mitch Williams. There are some cropping differences, but mire importantly all stats on back are shows as zeroes. This set seems more well known, because of the obvious differences with the zero stat lines.
Mattingly $15
Yount $10
Others $10

PS) The 1992 Score/Pinnacle promo panels are different than their pack-issued counterparts. Obviously they are in 4-card panels rather than single cards, but they also have light gray printing on back which says:

FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
NOT FOR RESALE

A part of this text extends onto every card in the panel, so if you cut the panel into 4 cards, every card would be different. I knew this already but still worth mentioning because it's not obvious.

Last edited:

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008

The other 7 cards in the 1992 Pinnacle promo set are Strawberry, Sandberg, Lankford, Thomas, Mussina, Fielder, and Sierra if anyone wants one. $8 shipped PWE, or $12 bubble mailer with tracking.

View attachment 122764

View attachment 122765

I’ll take the Sandberg if it’s available.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
PS) The 1992 Score/Pinnacle promo panels are different than their pack-issued counterparts. Obviously they are in 4-card panels rather than single cards, but they also have light gray printing on back which says:

FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
NOT FOR RESALE

A part of this text extends onto every card in the panel, so if you cut the panel into 4 cards, every card would be different. I knew this already but still worth mentioning because it's not obvious.

Finally found my Sandberg, you can see the background lettering in the bottom left running behind the Cub's logo on the back.

Attachments

• 92sandbergpinn_0001_NEW.jpg
    92sandbergpinn_0001_NEW.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 92sandbergpinn_0002_NEW_0001.jpg
    92sandbergpinn_0002_NEW_0001.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 16

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Finally found my Sandberg, you can see the background lettering in the bottom left running behind the Cub's logo on the back.
I have the panel, but now I'm gonna need to find an extra one and cut it up.

Latest posts