Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB BBCE Wax Buy Break Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Thanks, Ryan, but if I pull a Jeter, well, it's all over :)

I know it was just luck, but I also know it's gonna look suspicious so I'm addressing it and I also now feel badly about killing the spirit on one of our top products that hasn't reach everyone yet. On the other hand, there is another bat card out there and there is a possibility of a dual bat card and a cut autograph.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thanks, Ryan, but if I pull a Jeter, well, it's all over :)

I know it was just luck, but I also know it's gonna look suspicious so I'm addressing it and I also now feel badly about killing the spirit on one of our top products that hasn't reach everyone yet. On the other hand, there is another bat card out there and there is a possibility of a dual bat card and a cut autograph.

Yea don't feel bad. Great pull and others can still hit good cards!

Did you bust your SP?!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
No on the SP - I'm going to wait on that one. I'll do some others tomorrow. I don't have much left. I'd do more tonight, but I'm feeling like crap - got a nasty head cold going on and I'm going to just go to bed!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Anyone know how I get the pictures to appear "inline" with the post? WHat is the code I need to use? I know I've seen it before, but I'm not seeing it as an option from my laptop when I post.

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
Alright, onto the fun stuff, which is sure to be a kick in the junk as always (but I hope not!).

1 pack Pinnacle Totally Certified
Platinum Red 2:1
Platinum Blue 1:1
Platinum Gold 1:79

First the pack:

And the cards - wow - these are nice cards! But, undoubtedly worthless.

Derek Jeter /3999
Wendell McGee RC /3999
Cal Ripken Jr. /1999

Wanna trade the Ripken for the Molitor? Then you can have both box hits! I am jealous of the Clemente though. You gave me the wrong pack. Haha, just playing.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Not all that bad at all Bill! I'd say hitting some of those base Ryan's and Ripken's would bring some coin if they graded out high, and that Clemente is awesome. Looking forward to rec'g my package and thanks as always Bill for all the incredibly hard work!

Aug 13, 2008
I'll list the details and post pictures when I get home, but I ran home before going to a dentist appointment and busted five packs of 2001 Leaf Certified Baseball. Out of the five packs, I did get one FOTG jersey, so there should be another 1 - 2 FOTGs and a Freshman Orientation left. I have two favorite GU sets, this one and the 2002 Tribute MM set. I remember "back in the day" buying a box shortly after I moved to PA and I got a base jersey of Ripken and a nice parallel GU of Rod Carew (my favorite player being a Twins old school Twins fan). The Carew had a pinstripe going through it and was nice and dingy. Unfortunately, in a later moved, I misplaced that card and bought a replacement from the same parallel set.

Fast forward to today, I pulled ... FOTG Season Harmon Killebrew #/49 which also is dingy and has a pinstripe. So I now have two of the iconic Minnesota Twins you could pull from the set and I've essentially pulled both of them as opposed to buying them. [MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] - thank you very much for setting this up, I had a blast and look forward to another one of these.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'll list the details and post pictures when I get home, but I ran home before going to a dentist appointment and busted five packs of 2001 Leaf Certified Baseball. Out of the five packs, I did get one FOTG jersey, so there should be another 1 - 2 FOTGs and a Freshman Orientation left. I have two favorite GU sets, this one and the 2002 Tribute MM set. I remember "back in the day" buying a box shortly after I moved to PA and I got a base jersey of Ripken and a nice parallel GU of Rod Carew (my favorite player being a Twins old school Twins fan). The Carew had a pinstripe going through it and was nice and dingy. Unfortunately, in a later moved, I misplaced that card and bought a replacement from the same parallel set.

Fast forward to today, I pulled ... FOTG Season Harmon Killebrew #/49 which also is dingy and has a pinstripe. So I now have two of the iconic Minnesota Twins you could pull from the set and I've essentially pulled both of them as opposed to buying them. [MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] - thank you very much for setting this up, I had a blast and look forward to another one of these.

That is great, Scott! I hope you can scan it!

Aug 13, 2008
That is great, Scott! I hope you can scan it!

So here is what I got, starting with base:

6 Troy Glaus
8 Greg Maddux
11 Eric Karros
13 Ken Griffey Jr. x2
15 Mark McGwire
16 Mike Piazza
18 Pedro Martinez
26 Kazuhiro Sasaki
29 Pat Burrell
32 J.D. Drew
47 Rafael Palmeiro
51 Bobby Abreu
52 Edgardo Alfonzo
60 Eric Chavez
76 Fernando Tatis
78 Jose Vidro
80 Preston Wilson
81 Craig Biggio
85 Russell Branyan
93 Carlos Lee
95 Raul Mondesi
106 Timo Perez
108 Andy Pettitte
109 Aramis Ramirez

Here is a picture of the Rod Carew that I have

RodCarew.jpg

And here is the Killebrew

Killebrew.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^^^ Wow, just SO damn cool how they show a picture of the actual jersey... even if that isn't the actual jersey, it adds so much to the memo card!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Those look great, Scott. Congrats on the Killebrew. I am not feeling well today, so I'm not up for listing all the individual cards from the rest of my packs, but I opened the rest a bit ago, including 1 85 Topps Rack Pack, 1 87 Fleer Rack Pack, 2 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Packs, 1 2001 Leaf Certified Materials, 1 1993 SP Pack, 3 82 Donruss Packs, 5 89 Upper Deck and 4 83 Donruss Packs.

Got a few Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Eddie Murray, George Brett and the usual suspects from those years, but no key rookies except for what is in the picture. Jeter is still out there:

Attachments

• pulls.jpg
    pulls.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 78

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Those look great, Scott. Congrats on the Killebrew. I am not feeling well today, so I'm not up for listing all the individual cards from the rest of my packs, but I opened the rest a bit ago, including 1 85 Topps Rack Pack, 1 87 Fleer Rack Pack, 2 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Packs, 1 2001 Leaf Certified Materials, 1 1993 SP Pack, 3 82 Donruss Packs, 5 89 Upper Deck and 4 83 Donruss Packs.

Got a few Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Eddie Murray, George Brett and the usual suspects from those years, but no key rookies except for what is in the picture. Jeter is still out there:
Pretty nice stuff.

What we all have to remember with these breaks of the older packs is that the value is in the memories first and then graded cards next. I dying to open the '83 Donruss and '82 Topps racks just to see some great stuff. I've still never sent anything for grading, but I'm hoping I'll be inspired this round.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Opened mine today... From a $ standpoint, I've spent $210 on the 2 breaks and maybe can recover $21. A lil frustrated, but moving on.

In the Playoff Piece of the Game - Jersey of Adam Dunn and Runelvys Hernandez /150
Leaf Cert Marterials had Fabric of Game Jerseys of Kenny Lofton and Barry Zito
Greats of Game had Auto of Ron Cey
Thats about it.... Although the Greats of Game packs made me remember how nice looking of a set that is. But overall I can't say the 2 buy ins have made me want more.

Good luck to all the rest

Ryan

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I don't think these buys are about making or recouping money. They are more about the memories and pulling some great rookies from packs, as Dean said. They are also a great way to get mint older cards. I mean, you can buy factory sets of some of these Donruss products for dirt money vs. the wax. So if you just want the cards, buy the sets. But you can't pull them from a $1.88 pack that way either.

Also, the stuff like 2001 Certified Materials, cuts, SP, etc., is dried up so the cost is in the fact that you can't easily get it. There really isn't any value in busting a box of this stuff at the prices they cost.

Ryan, you have bought more of the stuff from the second paragraph and I'm sorry you haven't faired well. You've hit some of the inserts but they just haven't been big ones. Some people haven't even gotten any of the inserts at all.

I haven't even thought about listing this stuff for sale. I've more been thinking about making sets and the next buy.

Members online

Latest posts