Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Featured Thread] Vintage Corner: Pink shirts and Baseball cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
One of the greatest books ever written, at least to this ten year old baseball card collector was titled The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book which brought a whimsical look to baseball cards and the players that appeared on them. As a young collector who saved baseball cards before the internet age, finding any book on this hobby was considered an incredible find but to find a book that uses sarcasm to poke good natured fun at the players who appeared in the photos was just an added bonus. While this book spotlighted many many players and their cards, this book alone may have single handedly caused a spike in prices for one card in particular, the 1952 Topps card of Philadelphia Athletics outfielder, Gus Zernial.
Zernial was a journeyman outfielder for five different teams in the 1950’s and became known not only as a hitter to be feared but is credited for being the one to introduce Joe DiMaggio to his future wife, Marilyn Monroe. Ozark Ike would go one to carve out a respectable career where he would hit .265 in 11 Major League seasons while clubbing 237 round trippers. In May of 1951, Zernial would go on a home run streak that saw him hit six dingers in three consecutive games which at the time tied an American League record that had lasted for quite some time. It is at this point that the story of the 1952 Topps card takes place.

In 1952, Topps executives would look for interesting photos to include in its inaugural baseball card set and the photo taken of Gus Zernial after tying the consecutive game home run record the year before certainly fit the bill. In the photo we see a smiling Zernial with his hand up giving the viewer the “OK” sign while having six baseballs somehow defying gravity, attached to his baseball bat. The Great American Flipping book said it best when the authors wrote "This is one of my all-time favorite cards. How do you suppose they got those baseballs to stay up there anyway? Nails? Scotch tape? Postage stamp hinges? And why do you think Gus is giving us the high sign? Is he trying to assure us that everything is OK? Is he trying to indicate to us that he thinks the Athletics are a big zero? Does he want a cinnamon doughnut to go? And why is he wearing a pink undershirt? And what the hell is it all supposed to mean anyway?"

The photo for this card was taken the day after Zernial tied the Major League record for consecutive game home runs and the photographers of the day, known for their crazy photo poses somehow found a way to attach six baseballs to a bat and got good ole’ Gus to sit for the picture. Why he was giving us the high sign has never fully been understood and may only be known by the man himself. Why he has a pink undershirt on under his Athletics uniform is no doubt known only by the Topps employee who was in charge of colorizing these old photos back in the day. One cannot help but wonder if the low level Topps wonk just wanted to add an additional touch of whimsy to the card and gave Gus a pink shirt to go along with the six gravity defying baseballs and the flashing ok sign. It is these items that add to the mystique and wonder of this card and has made the number 31 Gus Zernial card from the first series of the 1952 Topps baseball set something to keep out of the commons bins.

To many ten year olds, and adult collectors who now remember reading the Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book as a child, this card is one that stands and just begs to be added to the collection. For someone who is inclined to purchase a copy for themselves, beat up and off center copies can be had for less than a McDonalds value meal but nicer ungraded copies can set you back as much as $200. Graded copies are also all over the board on prices but one must remember this set itself is the most collected and popular post war vintage set in the hobby and any cards in nice condition will be pricey, with this one holding a premium over most other commons in the set. If you are looking to own just one card in this set but cannot afford any of the Hall of Famers, this might be the card to add to the collection. Besides, the pink shirt itself is enough to make you laugh every time you see it.

As a post script to this story, after this photo was taken Zernial would go on to hit another home run in the fourth consecutive game which would break the American league record of that day. Why the photographers didn’t try and add a seventh baseball to the bat and retake the photo will probably never be known.

Gus Zernia lB&WPhoto.jpg
This is the original photo that was the basis for the 1952 Topps baseball card

1952toppsZernia.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I bought many cards from that book and it was an all time favorite of mine as well. i have read it cover to cover numerous times. I own 4 different copies now as well.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for another interesting read. Can say I am not familiar with him though as you stated he had a fairly decent career.

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Something that I did that helped bring to light a number of otherwise unknown to me players was to chase down signatures of every ALL STAR game player from 1933 to present. this allowed me to learn about new players who were not just commons, but someone who had a few good years and were recognized by fans and/or peers. I started this subset to my collection several years ago after seeing someone from another site who was doing it and had created a list. I borrowed his list and updated it each year as another batch of players made the rosters. After a while, with new players being more expensive that deceased and hall of famers, i gave up on keeping current. Who knows, I may pick it up someday after many of those newer all star players have gone on to mediocre careers, I can get them for peanuts like I have done a lot of past all stars. After all, it is mainly a popularity contest now. I later expanded it to include award winners and even took certain statistics and grabbed players who met that, such as 150 career home runs or 150 career wins. it is a great way to learn about new players who don't get the spotlight normally.

mchenrycards

Something that I did that helped bring to light a number of otherwise unknown to me players was to chase down signatures of every ALL STAR game player from 1933 to present. this allowed me to learn about new players who were not just commons, but someone who had a few good years and were recognized by fans and/or peers. I started this subset to my collection several years ago after seeing someone from another site who was doing it and had created a list. I borrowed his list and updated it each year as another batch of players made the rosters. After a while, with new players being more expensive that deceased and hall of famers, i gave up on keeping current. Who knows, I may pick it up someday after many of those newer all star players have gone on to mediocre careers, I can get them for peanuts like I have done a lot of past all stars. After all, it is mainly a popularity contest now. I later expanded it to include award winners and even took certain statistics and grabbed players who met that, such as 150 career home runs or 150 career wins. it is a great way to learn about new players who don't get the spotlight normally.

Thats a very cool idea. I know many of those All Star players from the late 30's, 40's and 50's can be relative unknown to today's collectors and it would be interesting to see a list. Do you still have that list and can you post it somewhere?

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Interesting timing, as I just purchased some 52's, as I wanted at least one card from each team from that year. Zernial was my A's choice just for the novelty of the card!
DANNY

mchenrycards

Interesting timing, as I just purchased some 52's, as I wanted at least one card from each team from that year. Zernial was my A's choice just for the novelty of the card!
DANNY

Great choice!

You are a perfect example of why this card enjoys a premium price over other commons in the set. There are many "type" collectors out there who need one example of the set for their collection or someone such as yourself who needs just one card from each team per year and this card stands above all the rest because of it's novelty. I have bought and sold a number of copies of this card over the year because it reminds me so much of my childhood when I have it but this card is the first to go when I am purging anything that does not fit into my interests at that time. After awhile I get back to thinking about this card and buy another one. I have to decide if I really want a copy or not and stick with that decision! LOL

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I enjoyed this read, thank you. When you made reference to how the balls were stuck to the bat you used an example of postage stamp hinges. Baseball cards were always my top priority when I was young but I also dabbled with stamps. When I got to the part about the postage stamp hinges I am immediately was brought back to my childhood. Somewhere in my collection of stamps that's been put away for years I probably have bags of these hinges. Thanks for bringing me back to an easier time, this time not with just about cards but also the times of my stamps.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's a public website, so hopefully the owner doesn't mind. I can't tell you how updated it is though, as i did mine from paper using only guys I still needed and lost it some time back.

https://sites.google.com/site/apkster/

Thats a very cool idea. I know many of those All Star players from the late 30's, 40's and 50's can be relative unknown to today's collectors and it would be interesting to see a list. Do you still have that list and can you post it somewhere?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Who is your Dodger?

DANNY

Members online

Latest posts