Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wadeinbmore

Feb 27, 2009
Baltimore
pootshwan said:
Thanks for all the help and direction. Knowing where it came from kind of worries me that it's not real though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I can remember correctly weren't Ken Goldin and scoreboard notorious for selling fakes?

I think they sold other fake items, but not necessarily the auto's. If I remember correctly they sold bogus Tiger Woods RC amongst other pieces of memorabilia with questionable purposes/intentions...items made to look like they were something they weren't.

...thats what I recall. I could be wrong, it has happened before :shock:

wade

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
pootshwan said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-UD-PIECE-HISTORY-FRANK-THOMAS-AUTO-32-35-/220710762363?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item336362f77b

Nice looking card, but is the BIN price a practical joke? :?

Yeah, pretty crazy.......

How about this rare card going for a very reasonable $89: http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-Thomas-1996-L ... 3a61602272

Thought I got a deal on mine at $120 when I had someone end their listing earlier this year. Can't say that I have seen many of those 1996 Gold Signatures around.

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
randyherth said:
pootshwan said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-UD-PIECE-HISTORY-FRANK-THOMAS-AUTO-32-35-/220710762363?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item336362f77b

Nice looking card, but is the BIN price a practical joke? :?

Yeah, pretty crazy.......

How about this rare card going for a very reasonable $89: http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-Thomas-1996-L ... 3a61602272

Thought I got a deal on mine at $120 when I had someone end their listing earlier this year. Can't say that I have seen many of those 1996 Gold Signatures around.

I agree it was reasonable price. Paid a little less for mine a few years ago. :D

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
David Campos said:
How rare is this card and how many still need one?

1993 Leaf #195A Frank Thomas/ Franklin visible on batting glove

I compare it a lot to the 1993 Studio Promo. If you were seeking it out specifically, somewhat hard to find, but not b/c of the rarity factor. It's that most people don't realize they have it or even know its the promo. The best place to find a card like that would be checkoutmycards.com so you can see the subtle differences. I found 2 or 3 of the Studio promos of Sandberg and Thomas like that. Since the word "promo" or "sample" isn't on the card, finding someone listing it correctly is the rare part, in my opinion anyway.

FearItself

Nov 7, 2010
Hey guys,

I just opened a closet and found a lot of 30 or so Frank Thomas cards, all from around 1990, rookies, Burmingham Barons stuff, etc. Topps, Upper Deck, Leaf, Donruss, Fleer, O-Pee_Chee, etc., and lots of strange ones like Jimmy Dean, Score, Cracker Jack mini card, etc..

Anyway, is anyone interested in this stuff? I'll take pics if so.

Thanks.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
clarkfan said:
David Campos said:

I compare it a lot to the 1993 Studio Promo. If you were seeking it out specifically, somewhat hard to find, but not b/c of the rarity factor. It's that most people don't realize they have it or even know its the promo. The best place to find a card like that would be checkoutmycards.com so you can see the subtle differences. I found 2 or 3 of the Studio promos of Sandberg and Thomas like that. Since the word "promo" or "sample" isn't on the card, finding someone listing it correctly is the rare part, in my opinion anyway.

I think that's a decent explanation, but I do believe the Franklin visible '93 Leaf is a bit tougher than the Studio promo. I've found 3 of the Leafs, giving away 2 of them. I had found 2 of the Studios before the mass listing of 30 or so.

The '93 Leaf was pulled after its first showing, so I'd assume fewer made it into the market.

The 93 leaf thomas with the franklin visible was a promo sent out to dealers with their order form. I remember because I was working at a shop when we got them. I pointed the variation out to Rich Klein and for some dumb reason, he listed it with a BV of $1.25. I've thought about throwing the copy I have on ebay to see what it would fetch or throw a high BIN with a best offer feature.

I have it in my organize on beckett and I get a ton of trade offers for it.

I wish there was a list of 93 leaf promos. I remember Glen Luena from beckett pointing out a variation on the gwynn from the same year. After seeing clarkfan's post, I checked COMC and didn't see any difference on the gwynns listed.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
BunchOBull said:
clarkfan said:
David Campos said:

I think that's a decent explanation, but I do believe the Franklin visible '93 Leaf is a bit tougher than the Studio promo. I've found 3 of the Leafs, giving away 2 of them. I had found 2 of the Studios before the mass listing of 30 or so.

The '93 Leaf was pulled after its first showing, so I'd assume fewer made it into the market.

I bought mine a couple years ago for under $1 off a no-name website listing it, but would probably be pulling my hair out by now if I hadn't bought it. I try to pay attention each time I see the '93 Leaf card on E-Bay, and I don't think I have seen one on e-bay over the past few years. If it weren't for that one guy listing 30+ of the Studio promos, I would have probably purchased mine from Clarkfan that has had one listed for a while on E-Bay.

Sep 11, 2009
Wanted to show some of my recent purchases and some i just recently scanned.
1996collectorschoicecra.jpg
1997finestgoldref.jpg
1998toppsgoldlabelclass.jpg
1998toppstekdiffractors.jpg
nsteelholodomedgoldholo.jpg
2000skyboxstarrubiesext.jpg
2001donrusseliteprimary.jpg
2002leafcertifiedfabric.jpg
2002toppschromeblackref.jpg

Members online

Latest posts