Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Found this in eBay a long time ago. Can't see it from a pic or scan but something smashed the card bad as it has a big crease and size difference right in the middle. Think I paid $20 for it.
ultimatepatch.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
I mean,id pay $20 all day for that.haha,Reguardless of damage.Thats a nice card.

Here's some WBC cards for ya to look for as well.

2006 Spx
2006 Sweet spot,sweet beginnings(positive this has patches,although ive never seen one.These are quad pieces.)
2006 Exquisite has two WBC patch/auto sets.One set being what TPM posted,the others called Endorsed Emblems and they are numberd to 25 I believe.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I mean,id pay $20 all day for that.haha,Reguardless of damage.Thats a nice card.

Here's some WBC cards for ya to look for as well.

2006 Spx
2006 Sweet spot,sweet beginnings(positive this has patches,although ive never seen one.These are quad pieces.)
2006 Exquisite has two WBC patch/auto sets.One set being what TPM posted,the others called Endorsed Emblems and they are numberd to 25 I believe.

Haha thanks for the info! I'll search those out.
I remember hitting the bin and receiving the card and it was smashed. Remember no notice of said damage in any of the listing but for that price I wasn't going to complain. I don't mind if a card is damaged or not.

Sent from my iPhone

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
Found this in eBay a long time ago. Can't see it from a pic or scan but something smashed the card bad as it has a big crease and size difference right in the middle. Think I paid $20 for it.
ultimatepatch.jpg

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah, that sucks! Still a great card though for $20! Nice pickup!:)
P.S. Glad GriffeyFan could help ya with more sets for those WBC patch auto cards! I forgot about the other set from 06 Exquisite but in my opinion the ones from the set that I have I think are the best ones that I have seen around! Good luck!:)

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
WOW.......... You had some nice stuff

Thanks magicpapa! My collection has never come close to touching yours, but I have had some (and still have some) nice cards. I've decided to focus primarily on collecting the 90's autos (and some 2000 stuff in a Mariners uniform). I don't know how much spending I'll be doing right now though since I am a scientist that performs research and development work for the federal government and am about to be furloughed, losing 20% of my pay for a duration of time. So.... I've been parting with some of my inserts and some other autos I no longer need.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Michaelstepper, I have one of those 2006 Exquisite Endorsed Emblems Patch Autos numbered to 25 that I would be willing to sell you. It has a nice blue and red patch. Send me a private message if you are interested, and I will email you a picture of it. Maybe since I'm about to be furloughed and have an extra day off a week, I will finally have some time to get my collection on photobucket so I can share it with you guys.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Also, one of these days when Topps gets around to it and finally fulfills my redemption, I will have a 2012 Allen and Ginter Framed Red Mini Auto of Griffey Jr, numbered to 10. It will be available for sale or trade. I'm looking for a 1997 SPX Force auto and a 1999 MVP Prosign auto. I'm also always looking for some of the more rare #'d to 50 or less autos from the 90's. I think I have everything else that was pack-issued, except for a couple buybacks.

What are all of your favorite Griffey auto cards from the 90's? I saw a couple posts a few pages back of the 1999 Ionix auto. That is one of my favorites as well. It is so clean. I also have the 1998 Retro Sign of the Times. I think my favorite is the 1997 UD3 Superb Signatures auto. I remember going to my local hobby shop and paying about $4-5 a pack for 1997 UD3, hoping for the long shot at landing one of those gems.

Here is a topic I do not recall anybody discussing. Back in the 90's, what is the best Griffey card that you actually pulled from a pack???

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
And what about best card you ever pulled from a 90's product? One of those instances where you probably thought, "If only I had this same insert/parallel/auto of Ken Griffey Jr. I would have struck gold!"

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
Best 90's card ive pulled of Griffey was from 93' finest..I believe my dad spent $30-$40 on a single pack,and I got a Jr Ref.Still have it,and its one card i'd never part with.LCS owner offered me(9 years old at the time) $500 on the spot,and my dad said we'd rather keep the card.Man I miss those days!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I pulled 93 Select Stars Griffey. I think it hit $100 and now is worth peanuts. Amazing looking card. Still have it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Pack pulled the redemption for this.
griffspxauto.jpg

Would be interested in the patch auto depending on the price. I've gone a little wild with my HOF collection lately :)

Sent from my iPhone

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
Y'all make me wanna start chasing autos.I have a bunch of memorabilia signed(jersey,glove,etc) but ive always focused on 90's stuff,more less mid-end.My one lone patch/auto's getting lonely.

Anyone happen to have a Gypsy Queen auto available?

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Y'all make me wanna start chasing autos.I have a bunch of memorabilia signed(jersey,glove,etc) but ive always focused on 90's stuff,more less mid-end.My one lone patch/auto's getting lonely.

Anyone happen to have a Gypsy Queen auto available?

The gypsy queen is a beautiful card. Overpriced IMO but amazing. Would love that one, the archives and museum autos

Sent from my iPhone

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
As everyone can see from my PC, I have always been into Griffey's newer cards specially patches and patch auto cards. That is what I have always enjoyed collecting and really like game used pieces. Really special to me having a piece of a jersey that Griffey wore or glove, bat etc. To answer the question about the best card that I have pack pulled of Griffey in the 90s I really didn't buy packs of cards to try to get a Griffey card when I was younger. I would mainly go to the card shop and the owner would have some cheap Griffey cards on a board that I would pick and choose what I wanted. Never had a lot of money back then to try to spend on packs of cards until the last 5-7 years where I have focused on his newer game used cards. Just has always been my niche with collecting Griffey and I am really proud of my PC! Can't argue that his 90s cards were really nice but just have never gotten into them like I do with his newer stuff! Makes the hobby fun when you have a variety of different collectors having different card type interests! :)

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Best 90's card ive pulled of Griffey was from 93' finest..I believe my dad spent $30-$40 on a single pack,and I got a Jr Ref.Still have it,and its one card i'd never part with.LCS owner offered me(9 years old at the time) $500 on the spot,and my dad said we'd rather keep the card.Man I miss those days!

Wow, that was a HUGE pull back in the day. Those cards reached a value upwards of $1500-2000. I was born in 1983, so I can imagine what that was like.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I pulled 93 Select Stars Griffey. I think it hit $100 and now is worth peanuts. Amazing looking card. Still have it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

That was a big one as well back in 1993. That was right when the dufex technology came out, and that was one awesome looking card. The best one I ever pulled was a 1998 Fleer Ultra Diamond Producers (1:288) packs. I pulled a few Griffey 1:144, 1:288 type inserts, but nothing absolutely incredible. Back in 1997, when Flair came out and had the 1 of 1 masterpiece legacy collection cards, some guy bought a pack right after me and got an Ivan Rodriguez 1 of 1. It was amazing. The entire store was in shock, especially since that was the first year 1 of 1's became available. I just thought, "what if that had been Griffey?". He would have been sitting on arguably a $20000 or so card. I also remember seeing a guy pull a 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Gold Mike Piazza from a pack. These were 1:299 packs, and it was in 1997 before Pinnacle went bankrupt and about 70+ other mirror golds for each player were backdoored. That card booked for $1200 or so at the time. Now I think it can be found in the $20 range. Pulling those mirror golds, or even blues or reds, were the stuff of legend back in the day.

Members online

Latest posts