Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hoover Steal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I posted this in the weekly pickup thread but wanted to give it a little more exposure since I'm thrilled with this new addition to my PC. I know the phrase "steal" is heavily scrutinized among this croud so I'll say... IN MY OPINION... this was a steal. $50 BIN. I figured the seller would back out but I was pleasantly surprised.

Hall of Famer - Check!
Autograph - Check!
Short Printed - Check! 3/3 :)
Inscription / Nickname - Check!

2004FOGRobinsonHooverauto.jpg

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Nice pick-up Tom.

I'll get it started! Sarcastically, by the by.

::shakes fist at screen::

You should be ashamed of yourself. You should have emailed the seller and offered him a more fair price. You're a disgusting human being. Blah, blah, blah.

Congrats again Tom!

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
matfanofold said:
It's a down right shame the lack of hobby respect (and value) that Brooks Robinson gets.

The same can be said for Frank Robinson. In fact, it is said every time one of these threads gets created ;)

Congrats on your pickup, great card!

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm down to the last 22 cards to complete the 200 card set but I'll never finish it. There are too many SP and several cards that I suspect do not exist. I'm down to about ten cards that I know exist.

Tom

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Tom Oates said:
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm down to the last 22 cards to complete the 200 card set but I'll never finish it. There are too many SP and several cards that I suspect do not exist. I'm down to about ten cards that I know exist.

Tom

Keep going; I have seen the entire 200 cards. Congrats on Hoover, these have really decreased in price over the past year.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Good price for sure considering the numbering and inscription, but I agree Brooks Robinson definitely could be more valuable generally speaking.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
First, I really like the Brooks card; like you said it has it all!

Secondly, I agree that Brooksie doesn't get too much hobby respect. He really doesn't get the respect he deserves as a player as well. I think it mainly comes from individuals who never really got to see him play. He was the greatest third baseman in history, in my view. Oh, and I think with Frank Robinson it's even worse for some reason. He was a great player...

Lastly, if you go into the more vintage cards of Brooks the one's in very nice shape (PSA 9, PSA 10's) go for pretty good money. Certain odd-ball items carry a premium as well.

Again, great card! Would love to see more Brooksie items!!

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
George_Calfas said:
[quote="Tom Oates":2hr7z4ga]Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm down to the last 22 cards to complete the 200 card set but I'll never finish it. There are too many SP and several cards that I suspect do not exist. I'm down to about ten cards that I know exist.

Tom

Keep going; I have seen the entire 200 cards. Congrats on Hoover, these have really decreased in price over the past year.[/quote:2hr7z4ga]

You saw the Ruth's and Gehrig's #/10? I'm curious about the McGriff which is listed as a 1/1. I'm assuming that the Jersey Number, Jersey Year, Position, etc versions are numbered greater than 1/1?

T

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Tom Oates said:
[quote="George_Calfas":uka13xk1][quote="Tom Oates":uka13xk1]Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm down to the last 22 cards to complete the 200 card set but I'll never finish it. There are too many SP and several cards that I suspect do not exist. I'm down to about ten cards that I know exist.

Tom

Keep going; I have seen the entire 200 cards. Congrats on Hoover, these have really decreased in price over the past year.[/quote:uka13xk1]

You saw the Ruth's and Gehrig's #/10? I'm curious about the McGriff which is listed as a 1/1. I'm assuming that the Jersey Number, Jersey Year, Position, etc versions are numbered greater than 1/1?

T[/quote:uka13xk1]

Yes, I have seen the Ruth and Gehrig; I recently sold a Gehrig. McGriff's are tough due to PC guys, I think one in a Rays uni has a sick patch.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Any chance you have a scan of the Gehrig? I would love to print it out as a placeholder for my binder.

Thanks
Tom

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
I've got a card to show you, post it here tomorrow when I get out my laptop.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Mark70Z said:
Secondly, I agree that Brooksie doesn't get too much hobby respect. He really doesn't get the respect he deserves as a player as well. I think it mainly comes from individuals who never really got to see him play. He was the greatest third baseman in history, in my view. Oh, and I think with Frank Robinson it's even worse for some reason. He was a great player...

I hate to say it, but neither will get their proper due until they pass away.

Members online