Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How BGS damaged a card of mine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Fortunately, I only grade for reselling purposes and would be quite mad if I was only grading this for protection. Here's a photo of what it looks like in the slab:

100_0163.jpg

and a closeup of the damage on the edge:

100_0167.jpg
100_0166.jpg

And if you look closely to the left of lasorda's portrait, there's a piece of the edge that chipped off!

100_0168.jpg

So what happened? The card was mint when it was slabbed. But since it is thick, and the quality of the sleeve seems to be more brittle than what I'm used to seeing, the sleeve busted open at that edge. As a result, the card moved back and forth and the card got damaged from scraping against the seal of the sleeve. The two corners on the back are softer than they were before as well but I could not get the camera to show it well. Here's a view from the top:

100_0169.jpg

I submitted this through the FCB Group Submission so I'll have to see what Phil can do for me. I figure beckett will make things good but we'll have to see.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
Same thing happened to me too . . .

I just shoved the card in a box and forgot about it though

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Not sure what they will do for you, but I definately think you have a gripe. Here is one of the bullet points they say are benefits for grading with BGS:

Preservation/Protection - Your BGS-graded cards are well preserved in a unique, protective cardholder. You won’t have to worry about them getting damaged.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
A before and after pic would help your case.

The bigger question would be what makes you think the FCB group would make one iota of difference versus submitting from your address?

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Yeah I had something along the same lines happen.... and Phil is waiting on BGS for me....

Rick Porcello Gold REF FY RC 2008 BDDP #1... I was very pleased to see it was graded 9.5, Anyways I looked at it alittle more and seen they slabbed it "2009 Bowman Chrome Baseball #66".

Anyways I hope I can eventually get it re-slabbed.... and I hope everything works out on your end too!!!

Shep :ugeek:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
EricInCT said:
A before and after pic would help your case.

The bigger question would be what makes you think the FCB group would make one iota of difference versus submitting from your address?

I would think the fact that there is a piece of the card encased within the holder would be enough evidence that BGS damaged the card!!

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I never realized how many issues there were with bgs. I guess we'll see if I will be slabbing other cards this thick in the future.

Members online

Latest posts